PlusNet Restrictions

Old August 28th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default PlusNet Restrictions

I've just been informed my PlusNet that "Level 1 Management" has been
applied to my account as have used over 13.1Gb this month....

The links they provide don't explain what Level 1 Management is...

What is it?

Old August 28th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I've just been informed my PlusNet that "Level 1 Management" has been
applied to my account as have used over 13.1Gb this month....

The links they provide don't explain what Level 1 Management is...

What is it?

It doesn't mean much. Just means really they are going to keep a close eye
on your account until the next bill I think. People on the £14.99 package
level one means close eye and static ip address. People on £21.99 account
already have static ip I think so I am not sure if they do something else.
I had the warning in my first month with them, its just a vague warning to
be a little more careful and try and schedule downloads for between midnight
and 4pm.

Old August 28th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I've just been informed my PlusNet that "Level 1 Management" has been
applied to my account as have used over 13.1Gb this month....

The links they provide don't explain what Level 1 Management is...

What is it?

The short answer
----------------
Traffic management which slows down your speed on certain
protocols/ports. There are three levels. These are applied progressively
as your usage becomes increasingly unsustainable (Plusnet speak for
unprofitable).

The restrictions applied, last until your next billing day.

Level one management is the lowest of these.

The long answer – Chapter 1
------------------------------------
You can see the levels and restrictions that apply to your product on
the link below. The top half of the page is general information. Select
your actual product from the 'Please select your product' drop-down list
below the first table to see the section your interested in.

I assume from the usage you quoted that your product is 'Broadband
Premier - Option 1'.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml

Only usage between 4pm and Midnight is counted when applying these
restrictions. Traffic transferred in the period between Midnight and 4pm
is not counted, so many of our customers schedule downloads/P2P to occur
between these times.

The long answer – Chapter 2
------------------------------------
The link below may also be useful to you, if you're a very heavy user.
Confusingly another separate sort of 'level' exists called the
sustainable usage policy (SUP). Once again only usage between 4pm and
Midnight is counted when applying the SUP.

The SUP has much higher limits but still more severe restrictions.

Should you go over the SUP's limits once your connection speed will be
reduced to 128kbps until you are next billed. Should you go over the SUP
twice the same restriction is applied until you upgrade to an higher
usage account (in your case Broadband Premier - Option 2).

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...ge_guide.shtml

Usage restriction is an emotive subject. I expect to be widely flamed
for what is the most helpful, fullest and accurate statement of our
policy I can compose.

Nigel Wood

Plusnet Development Staff
Old August 29th 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dave wrote on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:23:17 +0100:

I've just been informed my PlusNet that "Level 1 Management" has been
applied to my account as have used over 13.1Gb this month....

The links they provide don't explain what Level 1 Management is...

What is it?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nk=suptop5_bb3

Pick your product from the drop down list just under the table, and then
view the results in the table below that. For instance, I'm on Broadband
Premier Option 1:

13GB to 17GB transfer (which is where you are): P2P, Usenet, FTP are reduced
to 256kbps (if it was higher before), and other traffic reduced to 2Mbps.

Dan

Old August 30th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Spack" wrote:

13GB to 17GB transfer (which is where you are): P2P, Usenet, FTP are reduced
to 256kbps (if it was higher before), and other traffic reduced to 2Mbps.

In theory my connection (on Eclipse, Evolution level 1, 14.99/month) which
allows 20 GB of traffic in "peak hours" (1800-0000), has lowest priority
(below users on levels 2,3 or 4) but I'm streaming two webcam services
and listening to a radio station without difficulty (I also use uTorrent,
binary groups, and get podcasts at full speed). Seems ISP users are
perhaps paying OTT, or the light users are subsidising the heavy ones!

Old August 30th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

nigel wood wrote:

Usage restriction is an emotive subject. I expect to be widely flamed
for what is the most helpful, fullest and accurate statement of our
policy I can compose.

No 'flames' from this quarter. A good explanation, and anyone that does
'flame' is showing how juvenile they are! It certainly has caused friction
in the past, and a few ISPs seem to have low limits/high fees (not PN,
given the relatively low charges for home accounts).
Old August 31st 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:03:12 +0100, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

In theory my connection (on Eclipse, Evolution level 1, 14.99/month) which
allows 20 GB of traffic in "peak hours" (1800-0000), has lowest priority
(below users on levels 2,3 or 4) but I'm streaming two webcam services and
listening to a radio station without difficulty (I also use uTorrent,
binary groups, and get podcasts at full speed). Seems ISP users are
perhaps paying OTT, or the light users are subsidising the heavy ones!

Hi,
Can you say roughly what sort of d/l speeds you are getting off peak and
at peak times plz?
I only really want 1 or 2 meg - that's ample for me but they are all
offering up to 8 when i don't need it. Eclipse seems a good compromise.
I'm definitely thinking of signing up with them.

tnx

Old August 31st 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"new" wrote in message ...
[...]

1 or 2 Meg is just what you might get if you opt for "up to 8".
The actual speed on that service (BT ADSLMax) is dependant on line length.
If I opted for it (which I haven't yet) my forecast speed would only go up
from 512K to 1.5 Meg.

George

Old August 31st 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

new wrote:

Can you say roughly what sort of d/l speeds you are getting off
peak and at peak times plz? I only really want 1 or 2 meg

If you check the link in my sig you'll see there's a speed test from
ADSLguide. I actually got a slower speed just now, but I think my
traffic is being hit by Juice getting 400 MB of podcasts on another
PC (it's on a wireless link otherwise I wouldn't get a look-in as I've
seen every connection on Juice hit 100 kB/s using a cable into the
router). As the other poster mentioned, it'll really be down to how
far from the exchange and how good a signal you get, so cannot
really compare even two homes in nearby streets really.