Calling USA via Mobile Phone in UK - Whats the cheapest way please?

Old August 28th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Calling USA via Mobile Phone in UK - Whats the cheapest way please?

Hi all,

I am on a 600min anytime package on my mobile phone. Are there any
operators that allow me to use my anytime minutes to phone the USA
cheaply (1-2p per min) ?

If so what is (in ypur opinion) the best?

Mant thanks
Karl

Old August 28th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Beds wrote:
Hi all,

I am on a 600min anytime package on my mobile phone. Are there any
operators that allow me to use my anytime minutes to phone the USA
cheaply (1-2p per min) ?

If so what is (in ypur opinion) the best?

Mant thanks
Karl

Voipfone have a service where you dial a london number and it uses the
CLID from your phone to reference your account.

As soon as you get through it gives you another dialtone to make calls
with at their usual rates. (1.1p/min for USA).

There are other services where you dial a voip mobile number, but they
are only covered by inclusive minutes on some networks.
Old August 28th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Beds" wrote in message
ups.com
Hi all,

I am on a 600min anytime package on my mobile phone. Are
there any operators that allow me to use my anytime
minutes to phone the USA cheaply (1-2p per min) ?

If so what is (in ypur opinion) the best?

Mant thanks
Karl

Try asking in uk.telecom.mobile.

Ivor

Old August 29th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Beds wrote:
Hi all,

I am on a 600min anytime package on my mobile phone. Are there any
operators that allow me to use my anytime minutes to phone the USA
cheaply (1-2p per min) ?

If so what is (in ypur opinion) the best?

Mant thanks
Karl

You could call for nearly free. With Asterisk (Trixbox would be easier)
you could setup a UK number (free from sipgate or orbtalk) to dial into
and give yourself a dialtone based on your callerID. Then you could
dial the States for up to 300 minutes a week free on the Betamax
companies. 1 eurocent/min thereafter.

You don't need a dedicated machine to do this as you could use
nerdvittles vmware version of Trixbox (on an XP machine) which comes
preconfigured with nearly all you want to do.

Not necessarily the best solution, but dead cheap.

Old August 29th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote:
It seems today that they have removed the 300 minutes per week of free
calls a real pain as I just added credit to get the free calls!

Which site? I just checked voipbuster, voipdiscount, voipstunt,
freecall and internetcalls - they ALL have the 300 minutes notice on
each page AND they all have free calls to the USA (inc mobiles). I gave
up after those 5......