WiFi Router

Old August 28th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default WiFi Router

What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can transit
through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible to boost the
range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak', b/ a better aerial. Is
there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost reception /
transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

Old August 28th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

CJB wrote:

What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can transit
through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible to boost the
range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak', b/ a better aerial. Is
there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost reception /
transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

I've heard that mimo devices are more effective as they have several
aerials rather than the single aerial of nomal wifi devices.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old August 28th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

SteveH wrote:

CJB wrote:

What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can transit
through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible to boost the
range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak', b/ a better aerial. Is
there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost reception /
transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

I've heard that mimo devices are more effective as they have several
aerials rather than the single aerial of nomal wifi devices.

I just got a Belkin G+ MIMO box, and it sends a full signal to my laptop
across the house. The router sits under my metal framed desk too.

--
Andy Hewitt
http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/
Old August 28th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I've heard that mimo devices are more effective as they have several
aerials rather than the single aerial of nomal wifi devices.

MIMO = Netgears name for diversity reception.

Dave

Old August 28th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 28 Aug 2006 12:06:42 -0700, in uk.telecom.broadband , "CJB"
wrote:

What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can transit
through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible to boost the
range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak', b/ a better aerial. Is
there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost reception /
transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

I recommend you ask this question again in alt.internet.wireless,
where you'll need to describe the construction of your building
(materials, number of obstructions, thickness, floors, etc),
distances, type of card in laptop / recieving PC, and other physical
properties. You'll then get some very useful responses.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old August 29th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

CJB wrote:
What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can
transit through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible
boost the range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak', b/ a better
aerial. Is there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost
reception / transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

Think about not going that route & networking via your 240v ring main,
the cabling is already in place, it won't be any more expensive than
the way you are planning & it's more dependable...

Downside is that if you are unlucky it may pass thru your consumer
unit but who in their right mind is going to start searching for data
via a 240v socket, so it's probably more secure than wifi as well..

Just an idea before you paint yourself into a corner with the wifi
option

Old August 29th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"CJB" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the most powerful router availabalble in the UK that can transit
through interior walls in a block of flats? Is it possible to boost the
range using a/ an internal electronic 'tweak',

Well maybe, but that would probably be illegal.

b/ a better aerial.

Almost certainly. Some dongles for lap tops come with an external aerial
that plugs in. For a challenging application you could swap their
omnidirectional stub for a Yagi (possibly at both ends). Whether you could
buy such an aerial is moot, but it would not be too hard to make one. You
can also buy the right cable, but it IS expensive*. IMHO forget dish
solutions.

Is
there a wiif device to fit to a USB port that can boost reception /
transmission? Many thanks - CJB.

See above USB Wi-Fi with external aerial and

http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/uk/uk/...b-interi.html#

but you want a directional aerial for best results

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=SEO&U=Strat15

* £25 for a foot see
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=SEO&U=Strat15