Showing connected computers in XP?

Old August 29th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Showing connected computers in XP?

I am looking for a simple program that will sit on my desktop (in windows
xp) and show all connected network computers (in real time).
Something that will maybe update itself once every 2 minutes and constantly
dispaly the data on the desktop.

Is there such a program?

I want something that is simple and that wont hog system resources in wdows.

Hope you can suggest something.

Thanks

Old August 29th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Tony wrote:
I am looking for a simple program that will sit on my desktop (in windows
xp) and show all connected network computers (in real time).
Something that will maybe update itself once every 2 minutes and constantly
dispaly the data on the desktop.

Is there such a program?

I want something that is simple and that wont hog system resources in wdows.

Hope you can suggest something.

Thanks

Hi,

Im not sure of a way to do it on your desktop but maby there is a webapp
that will sit as a active desktop program to do this.

Or you can open up any explorer window and type in the address bar
'Entire Network' (without quotes) then browse to the network you wish
to monitor and when you open the window to view connected to computers
and hit f5 to refresh. (you could re-size the window to fit your needs
and place it in the corner of your screen and set it to sit on top of
all others)

Hope this sorta helps,

Luke.
Old August 29th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Tony writes
I am looking for a simple program that will sit on my desktop (in windows
xp) and show all connected network computers (in real time).
Something that will maybe update itself once every 2 minutes and constantly
dispaly the data on the desktop.

Is there such a program?

I want something that is simple and that wont hog system resources in wdows.

Hope you can suggest something.

Thanks

A reply to this would interest me. I currently use the free NetMeter,
which only monitors 1 machine.
--
John Clark
Old August 29th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Tony says...
I am looking for a simple program that will sit on my desktop (in windows
xp) and show all connected network computers (in real time).
Something that will maybe update itself once every 2 minutes and constantly
dispaly the data on the desktop.

Is there such a program?

I want something that is simple and that wont hog system resources in wdows.

Hope you can suggest something.

You need "The Dude"

http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php

Some of it's features:

* The Dude is free of charge!
* Auto network discovery and layout
* Discovers any type or brand of device
* Device, Link monitoring, and notifications
* Includes SVG icons for devices, and supports custom icons and
backgrounds
* Easy installation and usage
* Allows you to draw your own maps and add custom devices
* Supports SNMP, ICMP, DNS and TCP monitoring for devices that
support it
* Individual Link usage monitoring and graphs
* Direct access to remote control tools for device management
* Supports remote Dude server and local client
* Runs in Linux Wine enviroment, MacOS Darwine, and Windows
* Best price/value ratio compared to other products (free of
charge)

--
Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke
Old August 29th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:01:09 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

I am looking for a simple program that will sit on my desktop (in windows
xp) and show all connected network computers (in real time).
Something that will maybe update itself once every 2 minutes and constantly
dispaly the data on the desktop.

Is there such a program?

I want something that is simple and that wont hog system resources in wdows.

Hope you can suggest something.

Thanks

Tony,

There are loads of them and best of all some are free. Try a google
search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ices+%2Bf ree

about 0.5M hits. I'm downloading this one:

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/opmanager/

free for up to 20 devices, but a big download as about 28MB.

Regards

nemo2
Old August 29th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Conor
writes
In article , Tony says...
[...]

Thanks ... downloaded and now closing off applications so I can install
and try it!
--
Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
for no man!!
Old August 30th 06, 01:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"John" wrote in message
In article , Conor

Thanks ... downloaded and now closing off applications so I can install
and try it!

What do you think of it John?

Old August 30th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Tony writes

"John" wrote in message
In article , Conor

Thanks ... downloaded and now closing off applications so I can install
and try it!

What do you think of it John?

Not sure of the software.

It has mapped out the network OK, as I recognise it. But, there is no
reports of how the network connects, nor the through puts from each
machine, either in or out.

I will leave it a few days, then read the instructions (note the last)