Oh what a surprise - PlusNet email/portal is down yet again :-(

Old August 29th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Oh what a surprise - PlusNet email/portal is down yet again :-(

Since yesterday lunchtime, I've not received any new email on my Force 9
(PlusNet) account - looks like there's a problem with their incoming email
feed. They acknowledge that this is a problem.

But when I tried to access my POP mailbox just now, the POP server itself is
failing to respond. I can't even look at their service status because
websites such as portal.f9.net.uk and www.plus.net are also failing to
respond.

What is PlusNet's problem? Why are they having such difficulty over the last
few weeks in keeping their various servers going?

Old August 29th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Martin Underwood wrote:
Since yesterday lunchtime, I've not received any new email on my Force 9
(PlusNet) account - looks like there's a problem with their incoming email
feed. They acknowledge that this is a problem.

But when I tried to access my POP mailbox just now, the POP server itself is
failing to respond. I can't even look at their service status because
websites such as portal.f9.net.uk and www.plus.net are also failing to
respond.

What is PlusNet's problem? Why are they having such difficulty over the last
few weeks in keeping their various servers going?

Two thing I did recently to resolve the Plusnet email fiasco;

1. Get POP3 email from a decent company
2. Get another ISP

:-)

Clive

Old August 29th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:
Since yesterday lunchtime, I've not received any new email on my
Force 9 (PlusNet) account - looks like there's a problem with their
incoming email feed. They acknowledge that this is a problem.

But when I tried to access my POP mailbox just now, the POP server
itself is failing to respond. I can't even look at their service
status because websites such as portal.f9.net.uk and
www.plus.net
are also failing to respond.

What is PlusNet's problem? Why are they having such difficulty over
the last few weeks in keeping their various servers going?

Two thing I did recently to resolve the Plusnet email fiasco;

1. Get POP3 email from a decent company
2. Get another ISP

:-)

I'm tempted. If it wasn't for the hassle of uploading websites on another
provider's webspace, and notifying everyone of a new email address, I'd be
tempted. As a computer consultant who is sometimes called upon to recommend
an ISP to customers, I've always recommended Force9 up to now. But I'd be
embarrassed to do so now, after the various services outages over the past
month - even though it's tempting to recommend customers so as to get the
monthly discount ;-)

I see that the portal has just returend, as has POP access. There are still
some incoming emails that haven't been delivered into my mailbox, but POP
access and portal access is a start.

Old August 29th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Martin
Underwood writes
Clive wrote in message
. com:

Two thing I did recently to resolve the Plusnet email fiasco;

1. Get POP3 email from a decent company
2. Get another ISP

I'm tempted. If it wasn't for the hassle of uploading websites on another
provider's webspace, and notifying everyone of a new email address, I'd be
tempted.

LOL. Is that more or less hassle than not receiving your email?

As a computer consultant

I'm surprised you haven't already realised that cementing yourself to a
particular ISP is not a good idea.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old August 29th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
Clive wrote in message
:

As a computer consultant who is sometimes called upon to recommend an ISP
to customers

You're a Computer Consultant and yet you seem to have tied yourself into a
sole provider due to its limited POP3 email and webspace.
Surely as a consultant you should know better?
I hope you do not have the same lack of foresight with any of your clients.

Old August 29th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

:

Clive wrote in message
:

As a computer consultant who is sometimes called upon to recommend
an ISP to customers

You're a Computer Consultant and yet you seem to have tied yourself
into a sole provider due to its limited POP3 email and webspace.
Surely as a consultant you should know better?
I hope you do not have the same lack of foresight with any of your
clients.

No. In the past when I've been asked to make a recommendation, I've
recommended Force 9 because, from my own experience, they've provided a good
service. Also, from my experience of other ISPs that customers have already
had, I've decided which ISPs I would not recommend.

Sadly, F9 is gradually moving from the "recommend wholeheartedly" to the
"don't recommend" category.

This shows that I'm prepared to be flexible and adjust my recommendation as
the ISPs' service changes.

What ISPs would other people recommend, using the following criteria:

- low cost (eg 15/month)
- broadband speed up to 8 Mbps
- high availability of connection and email/web servers
- good support (eg tracking of problem, technical knowledge, short downtime)
if anything does go wrong
- ideally, multiple/unlimited email addresses, of the form

Most of my customers will not require large monthly download (1-2 GB/month
is probably sufficient) or large web space (10 MB is probably sufficient).

Force 9 meets all those criteria - with the exception of reliability of
connection and servers... which is rather a critical one!

Old August 29th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

DIV"Martin Underwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.../DIV Pete M
:

Clive wrote in message
:

[...]

I have POP3 email with 1&1 - never had a day where I couldn't get email.

I have my webspace and domains with 123-reg - only have 1 days downtime in
two years.

By doing this I am free to switch ISP from cable to ADSL with out the hassle
of email settings, or webspace, etc. I use an ISP purely for connection.

Clive

Old August 29th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote in
:

DIV"Martin Underwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.../DIV
Pete M Williams wrote in message
:

I have POP3 email with 1&1 - never had a day where I couldn't get
email.
I have my webspace and domains with 123-reg - only have 1 days
downtime in two years.

By doing this I am free to switch ISP from cable to ADSL with out the
hassle of email settings, or webspace, etc. I use an ISP purely for
connection.

Ah, so you have your email, webspace and connection with three different
companies? How much per month do you pay in total for those three?

Old August 29th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote in message
. uk...

I have POP3 email with 1&1 - never had a day where I couldn't get email.

I have used 1&1 for a few years too. www.1and1.co.uk
I have 14 "I think" domains registered through them for different purposes
from business to personel.
I also use them to host the sites too.

Like you I have never had any mail down time and their hosting is just the
same