SIP Telephone numbers

Old August 29th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default SIP Telephone numbers

How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to provide you with a
different countries landline number terminated to a SIP account. eg an
German number in the UK.

The reason I ask is that I have a client that requires a UK number in
Mozambique and a Mozambique number in the UK. How can this be done.

Yaz

Old August 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Yaz" wrote in message

How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to
provide you with a different countries landline number
terminated to a SIP account. eg an German number in the
UK.
The reason I ask is that I have a client that requires a
UK number in Mozambique and a Mozambique number in the
UK. How can this be done.
Yaz

Well a UK number can be obtained from many providers, some free some not
so free, but you (usually) have to provide a UK address and/or register
from a UK IP address.

As for Mozambique, you'd have to ask, I have no idea if such numbers are
available.

Ivor

Old August 29th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Yaz wrote:
How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to provide you with a
different countries landline number terminated to a SIP account. eg an
German number in the UK.

A provider, like Sipgate, Voiptalk etc, acquires them from a national
number distributor and then sells, rents, or even gives them free to
their clients - wherever they are. Thus I have several UK, French and
Italian numbers, even though I'm based in Spain.

Some voip providers, like voip.co.uk (at least when I looked at them a
few months back), will only give you numbers if you are a UK resident.
In Germany, you have to be a German resident to get a geo number -
Sipgate will only give you a non-geo German number if you apply for one
online from the UK. Rules vary from country to country.

Old August 29th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com...

Yaz wrote:
How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to provide you with
different countries landline number terminated to a SIP account. eg an
German number in the UK.

A provider, like Sipgate, Voiptalk etc, acquires them from a national
number distributor and then sells, rents, or even gives them free to
their clients - wherever they are. Thus I have several UK, French and
Italian numbers, even though I'm based in Spain.

Some voip providers, like voip.co.uk (at least when I looked at them a
few months back), will only give you numbers if you are a UK resident.
In Germany, you have to be a German resident to get a geo number -
Sipgate will only give you a non-geo German number if you apply for one
online from the UK. Rules vary from country to country.

None of them appear to offer number in the country that i need. how may i
go about assisting in arranging this. Do I need to set up any agreement in
the home country. Obviously they need to allocate numbers to someone and
they will not do it for free.

Yaz

Old August 29th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Yaz" wrote in message

[snip]

None of them appear to offer number in the country that i
need. how may i go about assisting in arranging this. Do I need to set
up any agreement in the home country. Obviously they need to allocate
numbers to someone and
they will not do it for free.

You need to find a company in the country concerned which is prepared to
do this, which isn't going to happen just for one person. There needs to
be a business incentive. There may even be legal reasons in that country
why it can't be done.

Ivor

Old August 29th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Yaz wrote:
How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to provide you with a
different countries landline number terminated to a SIP account. eg an
German number in the UK.

The reason I ask is that I have a client that requires a UK number in
Mozambique and a Mozambique number in the UK. How can this be done.

Yaz

Have a look @
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index....vice+providers

Pay special attention: didx.org, They have numbers for many countries
including Nigeria. If you register, you can request countries.

let us know how you get on.
Old August 29th 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Yaz wrote:
How is it possible for SIP VOIP providers to be able to provide you with a
different countries landline number terminated to a SIP account. eg an
German number in the UK.

The general case is that once you have a VOIP enabled number you can
utilise it from anywhere, that it part of the benefit the IP part of
VOIP gives you.

To an extent Germany is an exception, they will not give out geographic
numbers in the first place unless you are a resident. Of course once
you have one you could conect to it from anywhere in the world you have
IP access and suitable VOIP equipment. I get the feeling the German
regulators disapprove of such things, perhaps someone has a better
understanding of the German regulatory attitude.

The reason I ask is that I have a client that requires a UK number in
Mozambique and a Mozambique number in the UK. How can this be done.

Then you need someone in each country who can issue you a telephone
number for use with a VOIP service. The UK part is fairly trivial as
there are a number of companies who will provide for your needs. I do
not know if such suppliers exist for Mozambique.

--
Nic

Old August 30th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Yaz wrote:
"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yaz wrote:
[...]

Sadly, the only African Country I know that you can buy DIDs from is Nigeria
(which if my geography is correct is about half the distance).

If the prices for those DIDs are anything to go by, then this could be
quite expensive.

Are you sure you need DIDs for each country? Usully this is only
neccesary if you have customers in the UK that would be calling people
in Mozambique (and vice versa).

If you only have 2 offices that need to be able to talk to each other,
then you may be able to program the telephone exchanges at either end to
place the calls as IP calls and only have the numbers exist as virtual
extensions in the local PBXs.
Old August 30th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote Are you sure you need
DIDs for each country? Usully this is only
neccesary if you have customers in the UK that would be calling people
in Mozambique (and vice versa).

It is actually for customers in Mozambique wanting to call only local
numbers but terminated in UK. They actually want to provide a service to
customers in the Mozambique and Malawi Area. I know the PSTN and mobile
operators in that area and feel we may be able to provide a a facility and
have a customer base there.

If you only have 2 offices that need to be able to talk to each other,
then you may be able to program the telephone exchanges at either end to
place the calls as IP calls and only have the numbers exist as virtual
extensions in the local PBXs.

It is not 2 particular offices but persons living out there being able t o
carry their numbers to the UK and around the world when they travel
seamlessly.

Yaz

Old August 30th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"paul123" wrote
A provider, like Sipgate, Voiptalk etc, acquires them from a national
number distributor

How do they acquire these numbers? Waht is the incentive for the origin
country where these are issued?

Yaz