A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

PlusNet ADSL Max



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 29th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

I have just gone on to this about 14 days ago....

Does the ISP email you to tell you your final steady speed?

I ask as mine is still going up and down and over the past few days more
down...

I used to have the 1Mb speed and regularly got 950Kb when tested on
ADSLGuide.....

It's now around 620Kb!


  #2  
Old August 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote:

I have just gone on to this about 14 days ago....

Does the ISP email you to tell you your final steady speed?


Plusnet generally don't, no.

I ask as mine is still going up and down and over the past few days more
down...


This happens and it *may* resolve itself however.....

I used to have the 1Mb speed and regularly got 950Kb when tested on
ADSLGuide.....

It's now around 620Kb!



Yup, that happened to me too. I raised it with Plusnet and ended up with a long
series of "tickets" that over several weeks, never solved the problem.

I eventually did get it resolved though, and the answer once I spotted it was
obvious...........


I migrated to Zen.

Once with them the line problem obviously was the same, but I phoned their support
line and.. (unlike Plusnet) they answered straight away. They then raised the issue
with BT (Plusnet are too scared of BT to do this) and BT tried a couple of things.
This didn't work so Zen got back onto BT and got them to fix the problem. This
involved an engineer from BT who fixed my line issue and I now get a decent connect
speed for my line length. I've gone from my 1 meg steady and fixed speed showing
similar d/l speeds to your 1 meg connection, to getting around 1800 kbps d/l speed,
while syncing at around 2500.

You need to insist that Plusnet contact BT, if you are still getting problems after
your initial settling in phase with MaxDSL. Plusnet will give myriad excuses as to
why they shouldn't contact BT and will give you the run around. As long as you make
sure that your router is in the BT master socket and that you still get problems
after this then Plusnet have no excuse not to get BT working on fixing your issue.

If you still get problems then I suggest a migration would be a good move. Personally
I've think Zen are amazingly good, but no doubt other ISPs will also be recommended.
(I've also heard Nidlram can be good, but I've no first hand experience).


--

Andrew Sayers
  #3  
Old August 30th 06, 06:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:19:44 +0100, Andrew Sayers
wrote:

Andrew,

Once with them the line problem obviously was the same, but I phoned their support
line and.. (unlike Plusnet) they answered straight away. They then raised the issue
with BT (Plusnet are too scared of BT to do this) and BT tried a couple of things.
This didn't work so Zen got back onto BT and got them to fix the problem. This
involved an engineer from BT who fixed my line issue and I now get a decent connect
speed for my line length. I've gone from my 1 meg steady and fixed speed showing
similar d/l speeds to your 1 meg connection, to getting around 1800 kbps d/l speed,
while syncing at around 2500.

You need to insist that Plusnet contact BT, if you are still getting problems after
your initial settling in phase with MaxDSL. Plusnet will give myriad excuses as to
why they shouldn't contact BT and will give you the run around. As long as you make
sure that your router is in the BT master socket and that you still get problems
after this then Plusnet have no excuse not to get BT working on fixing your issue.


I note that you don't mention the possibility of having to pay the BT
call out fee if no fault is found by the BT staff on the line. This
was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup, and
would probably be a reason for them to request a call out as a last
resort if there was any doubt about the reason for a problem.

Perhaps Zen absorb these call out fees if they occur?

Jim.
  #4  
Old August 30th 06, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max


"Jim Guthrie" wrote in message
...
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:19:44 +0100, Andrew Sayers
wrote:

Andrew,

Once with them the line problem obviously was the same, but I phoned their
support
line and.. (unlike Plusnet) they answered straight away. They then raised
the issue
with BT (Plusnet are too scared of BT to do this) and BT tried a couple of
things.
This didn't work so Zen got back onto BT and got them to fix the problem.
This
involved an engineer from BT who fixed my line issue and I now get a
decent connect
speed for my line length. I've gone from my 1 meg steady and fixed speed
showing
similar d/l speeds to your 1 meg connection, to getting around 1800 kbps
d/l speed,
while syncing at around 2500.

You need to insist that Plusnet contact BT, if you are still getting
problems after
your initial settling in phase with MaxDSL. Plusnet will give myriad
excuses as to
why they shouldn't contact BT and will give you the run around. As long as
you make
sure that your router is in the BT master socket and that you still get
problems
after this then Plusnet have no excuse not to get BT working on fixing
your issue.


I note that you don't mention the possibility of having to pay the BT
call out fee if no fault is found by the BT staff on the line. This
was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup, and
would probably be a reason for them to request a call out as a last
resort if there was any doubt about the reason for a problem.

Perhaps Zen absorb these call out fees if they occur?

Jim.






This is weird. The very next day after posted the above I'm getting the
highest speed ever off ADSLGuide

Downstream 2,328.3 Kbps ( = 2.3 Mbps )
Upstream 376.2 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )


  #5  
Old August 30th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

Once with them the line problem obviously was the same, but I phoned
their support line and.. (unlike Plusnet) they answered straight
away. They then raised the issue with BT (Plusnet are too scared of
BT to do this) and BT tried a couple of things. This didn't work so
Zen got back onto BT and got them to fix the problem. This involved
an engineer from BT who fixed my line issue and I now get a decent
connect speed for my line length. I've gone from my 1 meg steady and
fixed speed showing similar d/l speeds to your 1 meg connection, to
getting around 1800 kbps d/l speed, while syncing at around 2500.

You need to insist that Plusnet contact BT, if you are still getting
problems after your initial settling in phase with MaxDSL. Plusnet
will give myriad excuses as to why they shouldn't contact BT and
will give you the run around. As long as you make sure that your
router is in the BT master socket and that you still get problems
after this then Plusnet have no excuse not to get BT working on
fixing your issue.


I note that you don't mention the possibility of having to pay the BT
call out fee if no fault is found by the BT staff on the line. This
was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup, and
would probably be a reason for them to request a call out as a last
resort if there was any doubt about the reason for a problem.


The problem being that BT charge the ISP and the customer would probably be
very reluctant to reimburse them.

Perhaps Zen absorb these call out fees if they occur?


Considering how their charges compare with those from Plusnet they probably
can afford to do so!

Peter Crosland


  #6  
Old August 30th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max


"Jim Guthrie" wrote in message
...

[...]

I note that you don't mention the possibility of having to pay the BT
call out fee if no fault is found by the BT staff on the line.


Any half decent ISP will make the customer fully aware of that fact.

I was helping someone resolve an issue with Orange recently, and even they
[Orange] mentioned it to me before passing to BT, the fault thereafter
(whatever it was) being rectified when the BT engineer attended.

This was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup


If they make it absolutely clear to the customer that this situation may
occur, exactly where is the problem, or concern, for the ISP? It's not a
concern, but another example of poor service from 'that' ISP.


  #7  
Old August 30th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:29:18 +0100, "Tx2"
wrote:

I was helping someone resolve an issue with Orange recently, and even they
[Orange] mentioned it to me before passing to BT, the fault thereafter
(whatever it was) being rectified when the BT engineer attended.


You're not helping someone else out? I remember you helping someone
on PlusNet, then not helping her, then helping her...... I'm sure
she was as confused as we all were as to what you were trying to do
:-)

This was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup


If they make it absolutely clear to the customer that this situation may
occur, exactly where is the problem, or concern, for the ISP? It's not a
concern, but another example of poor service from 'that' ISP.


The concern for the ISP is that the customer may not realise that they
will be liable for the call out fee if the call out is deemed to be a
false alarm by BT, and that collection of that fee might cause some
acrimony. And this situation probably occurs quite regularly,
considering the propensity of customers to fail to read terms and
conditions, and to forget what they have been told when it siuts
them.

Jim.
  #8  
Old August 30th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max


"Jim Guthrie" wrote in message
...

You're not helping someone else out? I remember you helping someone
on PlusNet, then not helping her, then helping her...... I'm sure
she was as confused as we all were as to what you were trying to do


Thank you for reminding me of that, i'd forgotten how far back it was that
Plusnet had history of ****ting on customers.

FTR, the outcome of that Plusnet/BT debacle was a complete success for both
myself and the customer. She received several months of Plusnet's fees
refunded, compensation from BT, and I received a letter of "eternal thanks"
for my services which were "far beyond expectation". Had I not got involved,
I've no doubt she would have been shat on from a great height by both
Plusnet & BT

As for helping someone else out with orange, you seem to have missed the
fact that I was also able to resolve that for them

Any other 'observations' you'd like to make?

The concern for the ISP is that the customer may not realise that they
will be liable for the call out fee if the call out is deemed to be a
false alarm by BT, and that collection of that fee might cause some
acrimony.


Sorry, I disagree. Companies I deal with - for example financial
insitutions - read back to you *exactly* what has been discussed so there
is no misunderstanding. There is no "concern" for an ISP once they have made
it clear to the customer what may occur.

And this situation probably occurs quite regularly,
considering the propensity of customers to fail to read terms and
conditions, and to forget what they have been told when it siuts
them.


That still doesn't make it the ISP's concern, no matter what Plusnet rose
tinted spectacles you are looking through.


  #9  
Old August 30th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

Tx2 wrote:
"Jim Guthrie" wrote in message
...

You're not helping someone else out? I remember you helping
someone
on PlusNet, then not helping her, then helping her...... I'm
sure
she was as confused as we all were as to what you were trying to do


Thank you for reminding me of that, i'd forgotten how far back it
was
that Plusnet had history of ****ting on customers.

FTR, the outcome of that Plusnet/BT debacle was a complete success
for both myself and the customer. She received several months of
Plusnet's fees refunded, compensation from BT, and I received a
letter of "eternal thanks" for my services which were "far beyond
expectation". Had I not got involved, I've no doubt she would have
been shat on from a great height by both Plusnet & BT

As for helping someone else out with orange, you seem to have missed
the fact that I was also able to resolve that for them

Any other 'observations' you'd like to make?

The concern for the ISP is that the customer may not realise that
they will be liable for the call out fee if the call out is deemed
to be a false alarm by BT, and that collection of that fee might
cause some acrimony.


Sorry, I disagree. Companies I deal with - for example financial
insitutions - read back to you *exactly* what has been discussed so
there is no misunderstanding. There is no "concern" for an ISP once
they have made it clear to the customer what may occur.

And this situation probably occurs quite regularly,
considering the propensity of customers to fail to read terms and
conditions, and to forget what they have been told when it siuts
them.


That still doesn't make it the ISP's concern, no matter what Plusnet
rose tinted spectacles you are looking through.


But what you are missing is that fact that no matter how many times
you tell Joe public they will still insist that they weren't told if
the result goes against them. The number of times where I have
visited & the enduser hasn't checked from the test socket on the NTE
is crimminal & as soon as they get the smell that they may be charged
they insist that they had never been advised to do so. Now some I can
believe, from dealings with the said ISPs service depts, but others
are blatant time wasters. They just expect someone to turn up & get
their internet working, whether it is a problem with the line, a
problem with their wiring or even a problem with their own computer &
they appear to think it's all covered by their £15 a month charge paid
to the ISP.....

For instance, fault was.....No synch, get to site & was told it's
never worked since they had a virus........chargeable
Another one........No internet access, this enduser swore blind at me
that it was BT's fault & he was going to sue etc etc....problem was he
had at least 3 premium rate DUN on his machine & as soon as he tried
to access via the USB modem they immediately took over & effectively
aborted the connection......chargeable
Another one.......slow internet, got to site & the enduser was running
Windows XP in 16bit mode (? never seen it before, never seen it since,
in fact I tried to get this machine to run in that configuration &
failed in all attempts) no wonder it was slow problem wasn't the
internet the problem was the fact he was thrashing his hard
drive.......chargeable

I could go on & on on this subject, but the non PC literate (most of
the posters on here don't fall into this catergory but will know many
who are) will not do as requested/suggested by the ISP because they
don't see the need ( we even had one poster on here a year or so ago
complaining that their ISP was trying to hack their PC because they
had been asked to leave it on for testing purposes for a period of
over 24 hours) & then they cry foul when the Openreach arrives on site
& say that's chargable...

There's even a prolific poster on here who was told that it may be
chargable so he put off the visit & just moaned & groaned for a period
of months then changed his ISP who got Openreach to visit & promptly
located the problem on his internal wiring which he should (under the
new regime) be charged for. Don't know whether they were or not but
that's another matter entirely.


  #10  
Old August 31st 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default PlusNet ADSL Max

Jim Guthrie wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:19:44 +0100, Andrew Sayers
wrote:

Andrew,

snip

I note that you don't mention the possibility of having to pay the BT
call out fee if no fault is found by the BT staff on the line. This
was a concern raised by the PlusNet staff on their newsgroup, and
would probably be a reason for them to request a call out as a last
resort if there was any doubt about the reason for a problem.

Perhaps Zen absorb these call out fees if they occur?


No, to be fair they did mention this, but they also said that judging by my line
faults on their logs that this was extremely unlikely.

As I mentioned in my post, making sure that your router (or modem) is plugged into
the master socket will make sure that your internal wiring is not at fault.

--

Andrew Sayers
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Plusnet ADSL strangeness..... Adrian Brentnall uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 June 10th 06 03:56 PM
Which PlusNet ADSL service? Tiscali Tim uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 10 February 21st 05 06:27 PM
Plusnet ADSL Tale of Woe Mark E uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 14 May 22nd 04 02:25 PM
PlusNet ADSL Tracker? where is it Dave uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 18th 04 04:10 PM
Plusnet ADSL AAL uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 November 15th 03 09:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.