Voip adapter

Old August 29th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Voip adapter

Im looking for an adapter to use with my regular phone (preferably an
adapter that plugs in directly to the network without having to be
plugged into the computer) but one that supports both standards (skype
and sip). Does such a product exist???

Since the provider's rates are different based on where you are calling
to, do these adapters allow you to have more than one SIP provider at a
time?

Also, in case Google (or Yahoo) ever offers a 'phone out' service,
does GoogleTalk currently use a non-standard protocol?

Old August 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im looking for an adapter to use with my regular phone (preferably an
adapter that plugs in directly to the network without having to be
plugged into the computer) but one that supports both standards (skype
and sip). Does such a product exist???

Since the provider's rates are different based on where you are calling
to, do these adapters allow you to have more than one SIP provider at a
time?

Also, in case Google (or Yahoo) ever offers a 'phone out' service,
does GoogleTalk currently use a non-standard protocol?

Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.

I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
a proper NNTP server and newsreader?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 30th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hi Graham,
I'm also posting through Google groups, what do you mean by a ''proper
NNTP server and newsreader'', is there a better way?
Thanks
Hana

Old August 30th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham wrote:
wrote in message

Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.

I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
a proper NNTP server and newsreader?

Yes. You can see all the various newsgroups that your ISP permits on
desktop newsreading software.
I don't know about Microsoft stuff because I have never used it.
I use Agent. Unfortunately it is no longer free.
If, like me you use Firefox, then you might also use the Thunderbird
email client. Afaik it can also do usenet - it is free and open
source.
Check out

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 30th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham wrote:
wrote in message

Read the thread entitled "which ATA" in this group, started 26/8/06.

I noticed you are posting via Google Groups, don't you have access to
a proper NNTP server and newsreader?

Yes. You can see all the various newsgroups that your ISP permits on
desktop newsreading software.
I don't know about Microsoft stuff because I have never used it.
I use Agent. Unfortunately it is no longer free.
If, like me you use Firefox, then you might also use the Thunderbird
email client. Afaik it can also do usenet - it is free and open
source.
Check out

What Brian "claims" he is unaware of, is that Outlook Express is a
Newsreader. Much maligned by the Usenet elite, but infinitely better
than Google Groups for reading and contributing to active threads.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 30th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Hana" wrote in message
ups.com
I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a
newsreader?

Are there any other free good ones?

There is a difference between Outlook and Outlook Express. Outlook does
not have a news client whereas OE does.

BTW it would be appreciated if you would not top post, many thanks.
Snip/trim and post at the bottom as I have done is the generally accepted
way in most groups.

Ivor

Old August 30th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:39:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Hana" wrote in message
ups.com
I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a
newsreader?

Are there any other free good ones?

There is a difference between Outlook and Outlook
Express. Outlook does not have a news client whereas OE
does.

BTW it would be appreciated if you would not top post,
many thanks. Snip/trim and post at the bottom as I have
done is the generally accepted way in most groups.

I do not like top posting Ivor but I do not rant and rave
at people who do top post like you continually do .

Not continually, only when necessary. BTW how was what I said ranting and
raving..?

Anyway, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind when thinking of
ranting/raving and you.

Back in your box, Ron.

Ivor

Old August 30th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
newsgroup?
Thanks
Ivor: Sorry for top posting, I didn't know the right way to post in
these groups, hopefully I'll get it right from now on.

Old August 30th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
newsgroup?
Thanks

I think your ISP is BT Openworld or BT Internet so you probably have access

news.btinternet.com

Try that as the server name and you should be able to download a list
of thousands of groups, and you can select the ones that you want to
"subscribe" to.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%