Netgear WN511B

Old August 30th 06, 06:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Netgear WN511B

I recently purchase the DG834N modem router and WN511B notebook adaptor
bundle and all in all I am very pleased with the result.

Once set up, I proceeded to update the router firmware and all went
well.
I then proceeded to download and install the latest driver for the
WN511B notebook adaptor.

However, this new driver decimated the signal strength no my laptop.
What was a continuosly strong signal. now became a fluctuating signal,
often turning the system tray icon to yellow (low signal).
This in turn slowed the connection speed significantly.

Satisfied that all settings were correct and that there was nothing
else that could have caused this sudden drop in performance, I
proceeded with unistalling this latest driver and re-installing the old
driver supplied on cd with the card (driver version 4.80.9.0 + wireless
utility version 3.13.3.8).

And hey presto, back to a strong signal and fast connection (exactly
the same settings as before).

So, the latest driver isn't necessarely the best (at least in this
instance).

Hodman

Old August 30th 06, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

So, the latest driver isn't necessarely the best (at least in this
instance).

Hodman

Goes for lots of things, ask M$ about their recent patchs which screwd
things up !!

Dave