Use a cable router on ADSL?

Old August 30th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Use a cable router on ADSL?

I am sorry if this is a naive question. I have only ever used cable
broadband (from NTL) and never used ADSL, so my knowledge of it is thin.

I currently own a Belkin Wireless G Router (Part # F5D7230-4) as seen
he
http://tinyurl.com/6jx32

This connects to my NTL cable modem via a standard networking patch
cable (CAT5/RJ45).

I am thinking of moving from NTL to an ADSL provider to save money but
I am not sure if I will be able to use the Belkin router with an ADSL
modem.

My concerns:
- ADSL modems might have a different (non CAT5) connection. (USB?
Telephone wire like an old dialup modem?)
- ADSL might need me to 'dial up' using dialler software on my PC. My
sister's ADSL does this. A router between the PC and modem might confuse
things. Also: How would I dial up using a wifi PDA? Using an xbox?
- Fear of the unknown!

Can anyone flesh out my understanding at all?

--
-Toby, who...
field to circumvent my email filters.
Old August 30th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Toby Newman wrote in
:

[...]

You will need an Ethernet ADSL modem e.g.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?CategoryID=34

However, many ISPs supply a USB-only modem. Check with your
prospective ADSL supplier(s) which they provide.

The dial-up bit is done by the Ethernet modem automatically.
Old September 2nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 2006-09-01, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:51:12 GMT, Frazer Jolly Goodfellow
wrote:

Toby Newman wrote in
:

I am sorry if this is a naive question. I have only ever used
cable broadband (from NTL) and never used ADSL, so my knowledge
of it is thin.

I currently own a Belkin Wireless G Router (Part # F5D7230-4) as
seen he
http://tinyurl.com/6jx32

What is the real objective - to get a reliable aDSL routed connection at
an economical price or to keep your old kit from becoming unemployed?

The real objective is to reduce my broadband costs by switching
supplier! I'm currently with NTL's 1Mb service at about 18 per month.
1Mb is plenty fast enough for me so I am looking around to see if anyone
can beat that price.

Since making this post, I've learnt that ADSL is currently unavailable
in my home because we don't have a BT telephone line. I suppose if I can
find ADSL significantly cheaper then the cost of installation may be
offset in the long run.

It appears that Telewest and NTL are the only cable providers and
Telewest do not serve my address so unless I switch to ADSL then I am
stuck with NTL.

Old September 11th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

On 2006-09-02, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:50:10 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:

The real objective is to reduce my broadband costs by switching
supplier! I'm currently with NTL's 1Mb service at about 18 per month.
1Mb is plenty fast enough for me so I am looking around to see if anyone
can beat that price.

Since making this post, I've learnt that ADSL is currently unavailable
in my home because we don't have a BT telephone line. I suppose if I can
find ADSL significantly cheaper then the cost of installation may be
offset in the long run.

It appears that Telewest and NTL are the only cable providers and
Telewest do not serve my address so unless I switch to ADSL then I am
stuck with NTL.

You don't give enough information, because to choose the lowest costs you
will have to encompass your broadband, voice line and TV viewing costs in
whole. Without knowing whether or how much you pay for say cable TV or
NTL phone line rental and calling costs it's not possible to say where the
cheapest will be for you. But you have that information, so I suggest you
at least consider the Sky and Carphone Warehouse "free" broadband offers
and run your total needs through the costs and features of those packages.

Thanks Tony. Not being interested in television I am limited on suitable
packages.