How does Max! adapt it speed ?

Old August 31st 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default How does Max! adapt it speed ?

I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

Graham

Old August 31st 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:
I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

It should have increased within a couple of hours to follow the sync
speed. Try disconnecting for an hour and reconnecting, occasionally
that picks up the new profile.

you may find this persists - it's a "stuck BRAS profile" and you'll
have to persuade your ISP that it needs them to get BT to fix it. Good
luck.

Phil

Old August 31st 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

PhilT wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

It should have increased within a couple of hours to follow the sync
speed. Try disconnecting for an hour and reconnecting, occasionally
that picks up the new profile.

Right. I may well do that if I see no increase after a bit.

you may find this persists - it's a "stuck BRAS profile" and you'll
have to persuade your ISP that it needs them to get BT to fix it. Good
luck.

Understood. Thanks Phil.

Oh, actually even though the download speed is still only 1900, the connection
does possibly seem to be somewhat sprightler generally.

Graham

Old August 31st 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

Oh, actually even though the download speed is still only 1900, the connection
does possibly seem to be somewhat sprightler generally.

might be becasue its being held to a data rate limit further down the
line, rather than running at full tilt on 2M. Som eof the "spare" can
be used to handle errors / retransmits, and the faster upstream is
there too.

Phil

Old August 31st 06, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...
I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

Graham

It took 3 days before I saw a speed increase, also with 8128 and 448. I
didn't bother reporting a problem to my ISP. I just chilled out for the 10
day training period and ended up with good sppeds.

Old August 31st 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Piers Finlayson wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...
I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

Graham

It took 3 days before I saw a speed increase, also with 8128 and 448. I
didn't bother reporting a problem to my ISP. I just chilled out for the 10
day training period and ended up with good sppeds.

What are your line stats and what did you end up with ?

I was briefly on LLU Max ( it's now BT again - long story ) and for a while I
could get 2800 kbps down with ~ 3500 sync but that was before an RF line filter
on my line was removed which improved my attenuation hugely by 25dB !

Graham

Old August 31st 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

When I went to Max it took 5 days before it rose above my standard 2mbit
speed. I was sync'd at 8128/448.
After 5 days it was at 3Mbits, It jumped up and down a little for the
next 4 days, then on the 10th day in the morning I saw around 4.5Mbits.
Before it went up in speed it did an odd thing where it briefly dropped
to around 800-900Kbits for a few hours.
By the start of the next day I was getting 6.5 to 7Mbits throughput for
that sync speed. I'm almost next door to my exchange which is about 8
doors down from me.

Cheers,
Tyger.
Old August 31st 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Piers Finlayson wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Current stats:

Downstream Upstream
MMargin [dB] : 3 26
Attenuation [dB] : 10 4

Available Bandwidth Cells/s Kbit/s
Downstream : 19094 8096
Upstream : 1056 448

I generally download at anywhere between 2 and 6 mbps.

I keep meaning to sort out my master socket as my line length is only about
200 feet.

Old September 4th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...
I have quite literally ( a few hours ago ) been Maxed.

I've got sync at 8128 and 448 kbps with 8 and 25 dB of SNR margin. Line
attenuation is 31 and 18dB.

A quick speed test shows my upstream is straight up to 372 kbps but my
downstream is still the 1900 or so kbps it was on IPStream 2000.

How might I expect to see this adapt over the training period ?

Graham

When I was Maxed, I immediately got the predicted 3000, and stayed that way.
When I replaced the router my sync speed rose quite a bit but I stayed on
3000 for weeks, despite frequent switch-offs. I had intended to contact my
ISP, but got side-tracked. Yesterday, with no intervention by me, it had
gone up to 4000, after a month after the new router.

Allan