Belkin vs 3Com

Old August 31st 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Belkin vs 3Com

I've just signed up with Tiscali broadband, amd I'm looking for a
wireless router - I need one that won't have a problem with walls and
floors. The 3Com OfficeConnect 108mbps was recommended to me
(3CRWDR200A-75-UK), but all the online shops that sell it won't ship to
my work address.

I came across the Belkin F5D7633UK4A, which someone said was the same
hardware as the 3Com one; and it's available from broadbandbuyer, who
will ship to my work address. So I'm inclined to go for the Belkin,
but from what I can see from the specs it's not quite the same as the
3Com - on the other hand, I can't find a complete set of specs for it.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them? Any
recommendations as to which is better?

Old August 31st 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

CJ wrote:
I've just signed up with Tiscali broadband, amd I'm looking for a
wireless router - I need one that won't have a problem with walls and
floors. The 3Com OfficeConnect 108mbps was recommended to me
(3CRWDR200A-75-UK), but all the online shops that sell it won't ship to
my work address.

I came across the Belkin F5D7633UK4A, which someone said was the same
hardware as the 3Com one; and it's available from broadbandbuyer, who
will ship to my work address. So I'm inclined to go for the Belkin,
but from what I can see from the specs it's not quite the same as the
3Com - on the other hand, I can't find a complete set of specs for it.

Does anyone have any experience with either of them? Any
recommendations as to which is better?

Belkins are generally terrible and likely to fail within twelve months. I
normally recommend 3com office connects, but I came across a right turkey of
a one last week, a newer model (the one i think you have the code for), it
had a wireless range of about 10 feet... seriously....

Normally 3com all the way, if you dont want 3com, then i wouldnt recommend
anything other then a netgear, they are slightly more expensive though.

Gaz

Old August 31st 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Gaz wrote:

CJ wrote:
[...]

Yeah, they are more expensive, and their maximum range doesn't seem as
good (judging by the PCWorld website, anyway). What about D-Link?

Old August 31st 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

CJ wrote:
[...]

Avoid both like the plague as both can suffer from powersupply
problems & the wifi on both does leave a little bit to be desired..

If you want to go on the serious end of the scale a Vigor 2600G would
fit your bill (the vibor 2800 appears to be a little flakey at the
moment). There are some still knocking around brand new or you could
try ebay for a second user. If you want to go with Netgear then I
would recomend the the DG834pn or n, depending on how deep your
pockets were. I'm using the WPN 802 access point (the sibling to the
DG834pn) & it does exactly what it says on the box & have little
trouble working from front to back of my property (& over the road as
well) where all the walls are solid, floors are the normal wood.

But once again I must ask if you think you are going to have any
problems why not network thru your 240v 13amp ring main it does work
(I've seen it work in very large 6 bedroom houses before now) It would
probably be faster than wifi could be, it will be more dependable than
wifi & probably more secure.

It's your money, you make the choice I'm just telling you of your
options...

Old August 31st 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

CJ wrote:
Gaz wrote:

CJ wrote:
[...]

I seriously question the quality of any of the following: d-link, belkin,
linksys and buffalo...

The netgear range is reasonable, I havent had any problems with it. Normally
the 3com range is excellent as well.

Gaz