Can't use Outlook Express with BT?

Old August 31st 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Can't use Outlook Express with BT?

Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
Thanks. John

Old August 31st 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:53:55 +0100, John Jones wrote:

Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
Thanks. John

Of course he can, I still use my old fsnet account via Metronet broadband.
All I have to do is dial up every so often to stop it dying.

Dave

Old August 31st 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort used his keyboard to write :
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:53:55 +0100, John Jones wrote:

Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
Thanks. John

Of course he can,

However, he may have an issue with outgoing email. If this is the case,
he should use his ISP's SMTP server & not try using his old fsnet one.

Old August 31st 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Of course he can,

However, he may have an issue with outgoing email. If this is the case,
he should use his ISP's SMTP server & not try using his old fsnet one.

Oh yes of course, good point.

Dave

Old August 31st 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , John Jones
wrote
Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?

Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange will allow you friend to collect email from
that account when connected through another supplier but your friend
cannot use the Orange service to post using a program such as Outllook
Express. Many (most) ISPs only allow posting to their email servers
when directly connected to them, via dial-up or via broadband supplied
by them.

Your friend has some options.
He uses dial-up to post via the Orange server - which will cost him the
cost of the call..
He uses that Orange web based mail service.
He doesn't bother with the old account and uses his BT account (or
another account) that allows posting. An account that allows posting
when not connected directly to the supplier will often cost money.

Your friends fsnet account will die within 90 days unless he actually
dials into Orange (once every 90 days). Just collecting email or using
the web based email service doesn't count as usage of an account as
Orange are not making any money from your friend.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old August 31st 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"gort" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:53:55 +0100, John Jones wrote:

Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to
be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't
use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
Thanks. John

Of course he can, I still use my old fsnet account via Metronet broadband.
All I have to do is dial up every so often to stop it dying.

Dave

----------------
But, Dave, can you use the
fsnet.co.uk address with the Metronet POP3 Server (or freeserve/Orange)for
incoming mail and the Metronet
SMTP Server for outgoing mail?

Old September 1st 06, 05:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

But, Dave, can you use the
fsnet.co.uk address with the Metronet POP3 Server (or freeserve/Orange)for
incoming mail and the Metronet
SMTP Server for outgoing mail?

All you do is set up a pop3 account in OE using the wanadoo, Orange or
fsnet settings to fetch pop mail. To send you MUST use your new ISPs smtp
settings as the other posters have said. I use 2 pop mail accounts
niether of which are Metronets own. But I have use Metronets smtp server
to send mail. What you MUST do is remember to dialup the old account(s)
every so often to stop them being suspended. Hope this is clear.

Dave