SPA-3000 PSTN doesn't ring

Old August 31st 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default SPA-3000 PSTN doesn't ring

I bought a SPA-3000, setup line1 with voipstunt, connected a Philips
cordless phone to the phone port, linked the line port to BT socket. When I
call my BT number, the phone doesn't ring. I used the spa-3000 monitor
software found on the net and it showed line1 is registered, PSTN not
registered, voltage 51V.

VoIP-To-PSTN Gateway Setup
VoIP-To-PSTN Gateway Enable: yes
VoIP Caller Auth Method: none
VoIP PIN Max Retry: 3
One Stage Dialing: yeso
Line 1 VoIP Caller DP: 1
VoIP Caller Default DP: 1
Line 1 Fallback DP: none

PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup
PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Enable: yes
PSTN Caller Auth Method: none
PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: yes

FXO Timer Values (sec)
VoIP Answer Delay: 0
VoIP PIN Digit Timeout: 10
PSTN Answer Delay: 16
PSTN PIN Digit Timeout: 10
PSTN-To-VoIP Call Max Dur: 0
PSTN Ring Thru Delay:1
VoIP-To-PSTN Call Max Dur:0
PSTN Ring Thru CWT Delay: 3
VoIP DLG Refresh Intvl: 0
PSTN Ring Timeout: 5
PSTN Dialing Delay: 1
PSTN Dial Digit Len: .1/.1

I increased the Line-In-Use Voltage to 70, same results. I tried to setup
PSTN as sipgate, PSTN showed registered, but still no ring when I call the
BT no. When I setup Line1 as my sipgate no., the phone rings when I call the
sipgate no. Where else should I look? Is the ATA faulty? Thx.

Old August 31st 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Turandot wrote:
I bought a SPA-3000, setup line1 with voipstunt, connected a Philips
cordless phone to the phone port, linked the line port to BT socket. When I
call my BT number, the phone doesn't ring.

Does it ring if you take the power off the SPA-3000 so the BT line
defaults straight through ? Do you get BT dial tone on the phone ?

Where did you get the cable to connect to the BT socket ?

Phil

Old September 1st 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"PhilT" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does it ring if you take the power off the SPA-3000 so the BT line
defaults straight through ? Do you get BT dial tone on the phone ?

Yes, when the power is down, BT line rings and I get BT dial tone. When the
power is on, no BT dial tone, I guess this is due to dial plan. Just
couldn't understand why BT line is not ringing.

Where did you get the cable to connect to the BT socket ?

I had a 2 pin RJ11 cable and I connected it to the BT socket via an ADSL
micro filter.

Old September 1st 06, 06:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Turandot wrote:
"PhilT" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does it ring if you take the power off the SPA-3000 so the BT line
defaults straight through ? Do you get BT dial tone on the phone ?

Yes, when the power is down, BT line rings and I get BT dial tone.

so the wiring is OK.

When the
power is on, no BT dial tone, I guess this is due to dial plan. Just
couldn't understand why BT line is not ringing.

pass. There is usually a delay in it ringing as it buffers CLI. You
don't get a BT dial tone when its powered up and registered as the dial
plan just places the call on the PSTN gateway gw0 in the ATA.

The setup wizard at http://voxilla.com/spa3kconfig.php is handy. I
can't recall if you explicitly have to enable the PSTN line, on the
"PSTN line" tab I have it set to enable at the top.

Phil

Phil

Old September 1st 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Turandot wrote:
[...]

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
ringing capacitor in it?
Old September 1st 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pawson wrote:

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
ringing capacitor in it?

it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this suggest that angle is
covered ?

Phil

Old September 1st 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

PhilT wrote:
Ian Pawson wrote:

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
ringing capacitor in it?

it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this suggest that angle is
covered ?

Phil

No it does not as you are then using the capacitor in your BT master
socket to provide the ringing.

The way to prove it is if you have a spare adsl filter as these have a
capacitor in them. Just put this between the ata and the phone.
When I ordered my 3000 I forgot to order a lead at the same time
Old September 1st 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Ian Pawson" wrote in message
PhilT wrote:
Ian Pawson wrote:

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
ringing capacitor in it?

it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this suggest that angle is
covered ?

Phil

No it does not as you are then using the capacitor in your BT master
socket to provide the ringing.

The way to prove it is if you have a spare adsl filter as these have a
capacitor in them. Just put this between the ata and the phone.
When I ordered my 3000 I forgot to order a lead at the same time

Thanks for all the suggestions. I borrowed a friend's new spa3000(still in
box) and it works. I didn't change anything except setting up line1 with
voipstunt. I tried both 2pin & 4pin RJ11 cable, it made no difference. I
will factory reset my spa see how it goes.

Old September 2nd 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pawson wrote:

PhilT wrote:
Ian Pawson wrote:

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to the phone that has a
ringing capacitor in it?

it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this suggest that angle is
covered ?

No it does not as you are then using the capacitor in your BT master
socket to provide the ringing.

however the phone and connection to the ATA is the same in both cases,
so for your idea to work the ATA would have to have a connection from
the 3rd wire on the PSTN port pass through to the same on the phone
output, as well as an incoming BT-RJ11 cable correctly configured to
get the ring signal to the right place.

Personally I doubt this happens, as the international RJ11 PSTN
convention is to simply use the centre two connectors for the line.

Phil

Old September 2nd 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"PhilT" wrote in message
ps.com
Ian Pawson wrote:

PhilT wrote:
Ian Pawson wrote:

I assume that you are using a lead from the ata to
the phone that has a ringing capacitor in it?

it rings when the ATA is powered off, would this
suggest that angle is covered ?

No it does not as you are then using the capacitor in
your BT master socket to provide the ringing.

however the phone and connection to the ATA is the same
in both cases, so for your idea to work the ATA would
have to have a connection from the 3rd wire on the PSTN
port pass through to the same on the phone output, as
well as an incoming BT-RJ11 cable correctly configured to
get the ring signal to the right place.

Personally I doubt this happens, as the international
RJ11 PSTN convention is to simply use the centre two
connectors for the line.

There is no such thing as an international convention for RJ11
connectors..! What you are referring to is purely a US convention; it
doesn't necessarily apply elsewhere, although it may do. Certainly
BTRJ11 cables may be wired any which way, depending purely on the
manufacturer's whim..!

Ivor