ADSL router with 3+ VPN passthrough

Old August 31st 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.broadband

Default ADSL router with 3+ VPN passthrough

Hi

OK - so last time I didn't manage to catch anybody's attention. Let's try
something more direct. Can anybody recommend an ADSL router which:

a) can support 3 or more simultaneousVPN passthrough connections;
b) costs 100 or less;
c) isn't a Draytek;
d) optionally, is also wireless?

If you want to know why, see below.

Thanks for any help.

***********************
Apologies for the x-posting but I can't find a single natural home for this
quey. I have had a series of problems with ADSLmodem/ routers at home and
work. I have just purchased a Netgear DG834PN router to replace a broken
Vigor 2800 connecting my home/office with my actual office. I have
everything working - although the router is falling over suspiciously
often - except VPN. I can get one VPN connection operating but not more than
one - but I need up to three simultaneous tunnels originating from different
PCs. The product datasheet, , implies that it supports more than one VPN
connection. The documentation, such as it is, is totally silent on VPN so I
was reduced to emailing support. They have just told me that the router will
only support a single VPN pass-through connection.

I am trying to connect 2-3 Windows XP machines through the a local router to
a Draytek Vigor 2600 router at the remote end and then to a Windows Small
Business Server 2003 server. With my previous set-up (Vigors at both ends),
I didn''t have to do anything to enable multiple VPN pass-through
connections. I simply told the native VPN client in XP the name of the SBS
box in my office and accepted all the defaults. This, plus a valid UID/PW at
connection time was all that was required.

It looks increasingly like I am stuck with Vigors if I need several
pass-through connections. Trouble is that the 2800 seems an inferior box to
the 2600 (see the Vigor UK forum for a discussion of the problems with the
2800). But do I have any other choices?

Help?

In passing, can I get in a bad word for Netgear. Generally, I have found
their stuff - particularly switches - quite reliable in the past but the
documentation is pants and the so-called support site is worse. I shall
avoid in future.

Paul