Bandwidth usage logger

Old September 1st 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bandwidth usage logger

Since I'm getting close to my ISPs 2GB download limit I'm after some
software that shows me the total downloaded each month. I've had a
look at tucows and usenet, but the software recommended seems like
bloatware offering far more facilities than I need. If the programmers
who programmed the superb BitTorrent client uTorrent only needed
171KB, I don't understand why the logging software I've seen is order
of magnitudes bigger.

Any suggestions ? It's for a 6 year old PC running Windows 98SE.

Daytona
Old September 1st 06, 09:12 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

"Daytona" wrote in message
Since I'm getting close to my ISPs 2GB download limit I'm after some
software that shows me the total downloaded each month. I've had a
look at tucows and usenet, but the software recommended seems like
bloatware offering far more facilities than I need. If the programmers
who programmed the superb BitTorrent client uTorrent only needed
171KB, I don't understand why the logging software I've seen is order
of magnitudes bigger.

Any suggestions ? It's for a 6 year old PC running Windows 98SE.

Weapon of choice:
http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Old September 1st 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

"Daytona" wrote in message
Since I'm getting close to my ISPs 2GB download limit I'm after some
software that shows me the total downloaded each month. I've had a
look at tucows and usenet, but the software recommended seems like
bloatware offering far more facilities than I need. If the programmers
who programmed the superb BitTorrent client uTorrent only needed
171KB, I don't understand why the logging software I've seen is order
of magnitudes bigger.

Any suggestions ? It's for a 6 year old PC running Windows 98SE.

Daytona

Daytona,

I've just installed this free one, Down2home, and at 300kb is quite simple
but works well

http://jitserv.coolfreepage.com/

dfrog

Old September 1st 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

In message of Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:28:09
in uk.telecom.broadband, dfrog writes

"Daytona" wrote in message
.. .
Since I'm getting close to my ISPs 2GB download limit I'm after some
software that shows me the total downloaded each month. I've had a
look at tucows and usenet, but the software recommended seems like
bloatware offering far more facilities than I need. If the programmers
who programmed the superb BitTorrent client uTorrent only needed
171KB, I don't understand why the logging software I've seen is order
of magnitudes bigger.

Any suggestions ? It's for a 6 year old PC running Windows 98SE.

Daytona

Daytona,

I've just installed this free one, Down2home, and at 300kb is quite simple
but works well

http://jitserv.coolfreepage.com/

That looks useful for Daytona's purpose.
Gizmo's suggestion of http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ does not meet
Daytona's purpose but is REALLY handy for monitoring traffic in
realtime.

I connect several computers to a Linksys WAG54G router.
Is there any software available to monitor traffic via the router.
What other routers have such a capability?
--
Walter Briscoe
Old September 1st 06, 11:07 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

Daytona wrote:

Since I'm getting close to my ISPs 2GB download limit I'm after some
software that shows me the total downloaded each month.

I hope they charge a really low fee for that 2 GB... mine has a 20 GB
limit in peak hours (6 hours a day) and some dumb (as yet undefined!)
"fair use policy" for the other 18 hours. If you pay more than 14.99 it
might be worth considering a switch - other facilities might be of interest
in future that will take you over the 2 GB limit more often (I've used some
20 GB downloading usenet binary groups in the last 20-30 days, and I'm
probably not classed a heavy binaries user by the heavy downloaders!)

There are Usenet accounts allowing 2 GB of downloads a day, at just
US$6/month, so there's a lot of potential even ignoring other sources
of data for download (TV/film websites, games, etc, etc).

Old September 1st 06, 01:00 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
Daytona wrote:

[...]

If he's on the same tariff as me, that's exactly what he's paying - £14.99.
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...yg_index.shtml

George

Old September 1st 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
In message of Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:28:09 in
uk.telecom.broadband, dfrog writes

Gizmo's suggestion of http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ does not meet
Daytona's purpose but is REALLY handy for monitoring traffic in realtime.

Walter Briscoe

Care to explain why?

Old September 1st 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote:

If he's on the same tariff as me, that's exactly what he's paying - £14.99.

Big "if" (some time back Daytona posted about NDO getting its Usenet feed
from PN, so I assume he may be paying their 10.95/month fee)... Which is
perhaps cheap enough to stick with, but extra traffic can mount up!

I'm paying the same as you (apparently I'm on the lowest priority *when*
any contention comes into the equation, but I've seen respectable speed
whenever I've been online) with a generous evening (peak hours) limit - a
figure comparable with users paying 21.99 (or higher with some ISPs).

There will be many that are simply happy with whichever firm they're on,
and have no plans to switch, but I wanted to get the opportunity to use
slightly higher speeds than had been the case, and am happy. My speed
test was perhaps a fluke given it was at 19:30 (or maybe Friday has the
younger crowd out for the night, filling pubs and clubs :-)

Old September 1st 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Daytona
writes

Try DU Meter at: http://www.dumeter.com/

--
Tony Morgan
Old September 1st 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:00:40 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
news:[email protected] e-pc-services.info...

I hope they charge a really low fee for that 2 GB...

If he's on the same tariff as me, that's exactly what he's paying - £14.99.
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...yg_index.shtml

256Kb / 2GB dl, unlimited ul - £10.95
URL:http://www.ndo.com/home_broadband.html. Faultless service so
far. I chose NDO because the had the best price/satisfaction on
URL:http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and
URL:http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/unmetered.shtml

Unless you're locked in, as I am, NDO have another great offer - 512Kb
/ 2GB - 12 months free then £10.95, free router, free ISP transfer

Daytona