Uncapped UK ISPs ??

Old September 1st 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Uncapped UK ISPs ??

Can anyone please identify/recommend a UK ISP who offer un-capped ADSL
at 2Mb/2.5Mb.

After experiencing an increasingly unreliable ADSL service from Pipex I
moved to Zen. Initially my BT line would only support 1Mb ADSL, but I
have successfully got BT to improve my line to support up to 2.5Mb. When
I first signed up with Zen, the service (Home 1000) was un-capped, but
now that I want to upgrade my ADSL to 2Mb/2.5Mb Zen tell me that all
their upgrades/new accounts (other than premium business accounts) cap
the amount of data that can be downloaded each month.

It would be good if the un-capped ISP provided a good binary Usenet
facility, but it isn't an issue as I would be prepared to subscribe to
Easynews.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Morgan
Old September 1st 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tony Morgan wrote:

Can anyone please identify/recommend a UK ISP who offer un-capped
ADSL at 2Mb/2.5Mb.

A few ISPs (Zen is among them) have no *upload* limit, (I know it wasn't
your question, but there would be some other users wanting this as a
primary objective) though your "want" is less likely to be found from
any UK ISP these days given the costs they have to pay (hence the
Zen business option, presumably at a fee you consider a luxury).

I don't really class them as either "UK" or "ISP" but it appears "AOL UK"
may offer what you seem to be after, at least "for now"... (Rumours
of them being for sale might make that change in future, of course.)

Old September 1st 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

DIV"Tony Morgan" > wrote in
message .../DIV Can anyone
please identify/recommend a UK ISP who offer un-capped ADSL
at 2Mb/2.5Mb.

After experiencing an increasingly unreliable ADSL service from Pipex I
moved to Zen. Initially my BT line would only support 1Mb ADSL, but I have
successfully got BT to improve my line to support up to 2.5Mb. When I
first signed up with Zen, the service (Home 1000) was un-capped, but now
that I want to upgrade my ADSL to 2Mb/2.5Mb Zen tell me that all their
upgrades/new accounts (other than premium business accounts) cap the
amount of data that can be downloaded each month.

It would be good if the un-capped ISP provided a good binary Usenet
facility, but it isn't an issue as I would be prepared to subscribe to
Easynews.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Morgan

What about cable - if you can get it. I recently went back to cable after
bad issues with MaxDSL and capping (which was brought in AFTER I joined a
certain ISP) - it was un-capped when I first subscribed.

Never had any real connection issues with cable in my area. Don't know about
Customer service - as I never had to use it with any ISP.

Clive

Old September 1st 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:12:07 +0100, Tony Morgan
wrote:

Can anyone please identify/recommend a UK ISP who offer un-capped ADSL
at 2Mb/2.5Mb.

http://www.blueleafinternet.com/?page=residential

If you go with them let us all know how you get on. They are on my
shortlist of potential ISPs should I grow unhappy with my current
provider.
Old September 1st 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Clive
writes
Snipped....

What about cable - if you can get it. I recently went back to cable
after bad issues with MaxDSL and capping (which was brought in AFTER I
joined a certain ISP) - it was un-capped when I first subscribed.

Never had any real connection issues with cable in my area. Don't know
about Customer service - as I never had to use it with any ISP.

No cable in my area. However, when they first offered Internet (when I
lived in the south) I signed up for NTL and it was absolutely dreadful
service. From what I've read their service is still poor.

Since I first posted here, I've done a compare on ADSLGuide and find
that Zen (who I am currently with) are the best in speed, reliability
and service. They also seem to have the best Usenet service (apparently
sourced from Giganews who have a good reputation).

Thanks for the help, but I'll probably be upgrading to Zen's 8000 Pro
which caps at 50Gb per month. One of the more expensive, but IME you get
what you pay for.

--
Tony Morgan
Old September 2nd 06, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 23:52:49 +0100, Tony Morgan
wrote:

Nice to see you're still around Tony ;-)

No cable in my area. However, when they first offered Internet (when I
lived in the south) I signed up for NTL and it was absolutely dreadful
service. From what I've read their service is still poor.

However, a friend of mine who's got the 35pcm NTHell/Telewaste
package can definitely confirm that it's unlimited - if a little less
than the advertised speed at peak hours!

Thanks for the help, but I'll probably be upgrading to Zen's 8000 Pro
which caps at 50Gb per month. One of the more expensive, but IME you get
what you pay for.

Indeed, but Zen's Max usage limit means that I'm staying on their old
512Kbps unlimited service for now. They did not give *any* advance
notice about their changes otherwise I would have gone back to their
2Mbps unlimited service before their move to an 8Mbps launch and their
dropping of all old services aside from on-going renewals :-(

I've ruled out B$kyB as they insist on you using their crippled
router. But, Telewaste or Demon look like viable options for a move.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old September 2nd 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Indeed, but Zen's Max usage limit means that I'm staying on their old
512Kbps unlimited service for now. They did not give *any* advance
notice about their changes otherwise I would have gone back to their
2Mbps unlimited service before their move to an 8Mbps launch and their
dropping of all old services aside from on-going renewals :-(

Zen did give notice on there forums but I must admit it was very short, I
just noticed it in time and upgraded to the 2Meg fixed unlimited account and
I am still gald I did.

Zens caps are quite good compared to other ISP's as they do not include and
upload just download usage, others count it all.

I think you are making teh right choice staying with Zen and to tell you the
truth I would rather be on there unlimted 250 than have any caps.

Old September 2nd 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"It's Me" wrote:

Zen did give notice on there forums but I must admit it was very short, I
just noticed it in time and upgraded to the 2Meg fixed unlimited account and

Was it much before March 1st (I think I noticed comments on the AG forum),
or did people have to make a choice within March to upgrade or be "stuck"
on whatever package they were using (or lose "unlimited" by "upgrading")?

Zens caps are quite good compared to other ISP's as they do not include and
upload just download usage, others count it all.

Not all others. Most do, but Zen is not alone in that aspect.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "It's Me"

http://www.ukfsn.org/adsl/maxallowance.html are much more generous.

I think you are making teh right choice staying with Zen and to tell you the
truth I would rather be on there unlimted 250 than have any caps.

Cannot agree with you anymore.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old September 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Stephen Chadfield
opened his gob and said:

http://www.blueleafinternet.com/?page=residential

Seems good. Just dropped them a line to see if they are resellers, and
if so, for whom.

--
Cheers,

Guy