VOIP Confusion

Old September 1st 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default VOIP Confusion

Hi
I am actively pursuing swapping our home phone service to
voip. I have had a look around and found voip.co.uk seem to be
offering a reasonable price with a decent level of service. One major
confusion is my telephone number. Is it possible to retain my present
BT number and use voip. I am finding the answers rather confusing. You
see, I am using that number for my ADSL line from BT and cannot work
out how it can be effectively used by two providers. Am I making
sense, does any of this make sense? I am rapidly sinking into a deep
bottomless voipspeak ocean. I need a little guidance.

Ian

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0635-4, 01/09/2006
Tested on: 01/09/2006 17:13:29

Old September 1st 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Ian Pollard:
Hi
I am actively pursuing swapping our home phone service to
voip. I have had a look around and found voip.co.uk seem to be
offering a reasonable price with a decent level of service. One major
confusion is my telephone number. Is it possible to retain my present
BT number and use voip. I am finding the answers rather confusing. You
see, I am using that number for my ADSL line from BT and cannot work
out how it can be effectively used by two providers. Am I making
sense, does any of this make sense? I am rapidly sinking into a deep
bottomless voipspeak ocean. I need a little guidance.

Ian

If you are using ADSL for broadband then you are going to have to keep
the landline, unlike cable broadband where and phone line is not
required.

It maybe cheaper for you/easier just to use 1899 and 18185 for indirect
call access and maybe sign up with Primus Saver 2 for no monthly fee and
get free evening and weekend calls, free caller display via BT Privacy
(subject to 2 calls per month over BT).

As you must use a landline for ADSL you might as well use that for
incoming calls, and maybe use VoIP for outgoing if you think that will
be worth it (it's not for everyone). Maybe use a service such as
VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing CLI to anything you like (such
as your BT number) so when you call people it displays your BT number.

www.bt.com/btprivacy
www.call1899.co.uk
www.call18185.co.uk
www.planet-talk.co.uk/Saver (Primus Saver 2)
www.voipstunt.com

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old September 1st 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
[...]

You can also set the outgoing cli to you BT number on voip.co.uk. I
bought a SPA3000 to seamlessly handle incoming BT calls and outgoing
voip calls.
Old September 1st 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Maybe use a service such as VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing CLI to
anything you like (such as your BT number) so when you call people it
displays your BT number.

Is that feature only implemented in the softphone, or can an ATA or
Asterisk make use of it?

Old September 1st 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pollard wrote in
:

Hi
I am actively pursuing swapping our home phone service to
voip. I have had a look around and found voip.co.uk seem to be
offering a reasonable price with a decent level of service. One major
confusion is my telephone number. Is it possible to retain my present
BT number and use voip. I am finding the answers rather confusing. You
see, I am using that number for my ADSL line from BT and cannot work
out how it can be effectively used by two providers. Am I making
sense, does any of this make sense? I am rapidly sinking into a deep
bottomless voipspeak ocean. I need a little guidance.

Ian

Hi Ian, I think the answers you have got from the other posters are
certainly valid, but I think you are asking a question on a more basic
level.
You do not need to change you phone provider over completely - in fact
to do so would not be a good idea (and may not be possible - as you need
to retain your BT line for your internet connection).
It is certainly possible to 'forget' that your BT line exists, and route
all your phone calls, both in and out through a box - called an ATA. You
need to enter your voip.co.uk settings (or settings from any provider)
into the ATA - you generally do this through your PC, unless you buy an
ATA pre-loaded with the settings (this is how I got started with
Sipgate). You can then plug your phone into the ATA.
You would be well advised to retain one separate phone plugged into your
'old' BT line in case your internet connection goes for a walk, or you
need to dial 999.
It is possible to transfer (port) your old BT number to your new voip
phone but *in my opinion* it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old September 1st 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Jono:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Maybe use a service such as VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing
CLI to anything you like (such as your BT number) so when you call
people it displays your BT number.

Is that feature only implemented in the softphone, or can an ATA or
Asterisk make use of it?

You're right I forgot that, I'm so used to using my VoIP Stunt service
with the VoIP-In number they issued, I think it's just with the software
at the moment.

As pointed out voip.co.uk seems to allow you to set the CLI.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old September 1st 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Thus spaketh Jono:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Maybe use a service such as VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing
CLI to anything you like (such as your BT number) so when you call
people it displays your BT number.

Is that feature only implemented in the softphone, or can an ATA or
Asterisk make use of it?

You're right I forgot that, I'm so used to using my VoIP Stunt service with
the VoIP-In number they issued, I think it's just with the software at the
moment.

As pointed out voip.co.uk seems to allow you to set the CLI.

voip.co.uk have always allowed it. It costs a fiver & you have to
provide proof of ownership of the number.

For those with a BT Business line, the other side of the same coin is
you could present your VoIP number on your BT line.......not sure why
you'd want to, come to think of it, though!

Old September 1st 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Maybe use a service such as VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing
CLI to anything you like (such as your BT number) so when you call
people it displays your BT number.

Is that feature only implemented in the softphone, or can an ATA or
Asterisk make use of it?

Neither - its done on their web site in your settings/options
Old September 1st 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ian Pawson presented the following explanation :
Jono wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated on Friday :
Maybe use a service such as VoIPStunt where you can set the outgoing
CLI to anything you like (such as your BT number) so when you call
people it displays your BT number.

Is that feature only implemented in the softphone, or can an ATA or
Asterisk make use of it?

Neither - its done on their web site in your settings/options

Ah, OK. I was hoping that the same applied to internetcalls.com,
however, it seems not.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hi. Let's not make it too difficult. I would suggest you to check in
the following site once. It looks nice to me. To be very frank, I'm not
a VOIP freek or a genius in that, but I'm trying to learn something and
it helps. It gives you idea right from the basic and will lead you to
some of the most difficult conceps of VOIP. Just check it out. ALL THE
BEST !!

http://voiponline.bravehost.com/

Ankit Arora

Ian Pollard wrote in