Signal strength of -35dBm Good? Bad? Huh?

Old September 1st 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Signal strength of -35dBm Good? Bad? Huh?

The other day I attached an SMC SMCWEBT-G wireless ethernet bridge to
my Mum's PC.
Got it set up quite easily and all seems good. It reports the signal
strength as -35dBM. Which is probably very helpful for people versed in
the relevant technical fields but seems like a very unhelpful way to
report signal strength on a device aimed at the average home user.
Can someone tell me what that translates to on a useful scale? Like how
many of of the five little green bars Windows XP uses to indicate
signal strength would that be? The manual doesn't give me a clue and
half an hour on Google has just left me confused.

The bridge is replacing a Belkin USB dongle which was struggling to get
and keep a signal so I'm curious as to how it compares.

cheers,

mike

Old September 4th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

wrote in message
ups.com...
The other day I attached an SMC SMCWEBT-G wireless ethernet bridge to
my Mum's PC.
Got it set up quite easily and all seems good. It reports the signal
strength as -35dBM. Which is probably very helpful for people versed in
the relevant technical fields

-35dBM is good.

The lower the value the higher the signal strength, but -35dBM is more than
acceptable.

My local network is working ok with a much weaker -58dBM.

I have also connected reasonably well to a network which was
reporting -67dBM here.