Wired router/modem WITH printer port?

Old September 1st 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wired router/modem WITH printer port?

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Old September 1st 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly recommended.

Peter Crosland

Old September 1st 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 21:46:59 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Peter
Crosland" wrote:

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly recommended.

Bear in mind that almost no multifunction printers, and not all
ordinary printers, work with printservers of any kind. If your printer
comes with fancy drivers for stuff like ink-level monitoring, it
probably won't work.

Check the manufacturer's website AND the printserver makers site, and
if you don't find anything confirming it DOES work, assume it won't.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old September 2nd 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 21:10:13 +0100, "SJP"
wrote:

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

I have been using a DrayTek Vigor 2600plus for a year or so. Quite
excellent!
As a matter of fact I just bought a Vigor 2800VG because of its VoIP,
and (if you want it) the 2600plus will be available in a couple of
weeks (a friend is using it).

Lorenz

To reply:
lorenz
squiggle
clara
co
uk

[L.]
Old September 2nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Crosland" wrote:

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly recommended.

Bear in mind that almost no multifunction printers, and not all
ordinary printers, work with printservers of any kind. If your printer
comes with fancy drivers for stuff like ink-level monitoring, it
probably won't work.

Yes but you still have a nearby computer connected by USB or Parrallel.
Well that's how I have my Brother MFC 5440CN set up anyway.

so
PC on - print locally, scan, collect faxes etc.
other PCs on - print over network etc.
no PC on - catches faxes for viewing later.

Old September 2nd 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly
recommended.

Peter Crosland

Actually Peter the 2600, may be the better choice at the moment until
the vagrancies some 2800 users appear to be suffering from are sorted
out. It would be a lot cheaper as well..

Old September 2nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly
recommended.

Actually Peter the 2600, may be the better choice at the moment until
the vagrancies some 2800 users appear to be suffering from are sorted
out. It would be a lot cheaper as well..

Fair comment kráftéé assuming the OP is prepared to hunt for a secondhand
one. My 2800 is going AOK so I wonder what problems people are encountering?
It has currently been running for 71 hours on Plusnet MAX ADSL which will
annoy Graham for sure!

Peter Crosland

Old September 2nd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Peter
Crosland writes

Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly
recommended.

Actually Peter the 2600, may be the better choice at the moment until
the vagrancies some 2800 users appear to be suffering from are sorted
out. It would be a lot cheaper as well..

Fair comment kráftéé assuming the OP is prepared to hunt for a secondhand
one. My 2800 is going AOK so I wonder what problems people are encountering?
It has currently been running for 71 hours on Plusnet MAX ADSL which will
annoy Graham for sure!

Peter Crosland

My 2800G is finally showing some stability on Plusnet MAX ADSL (244
hours!) My HP Deskjet 970Cxi works well when directly connected to the
Draytek. The Draytek forums include one devoted to the "USB Printer
Port" but access is for existing users only! Why not email Draytek and
ask?

--
Martin Goose "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly
understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to withstand forces
Old September 2nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
Anybody recommend or point me to some make/model numbers of an
adsl
modem/router that has a built in usb printer port.
Does not need to be wireless

Draytek Vigor 2800. Not cheap but top quality and warmly
recommended.

Actually Peter the 2600, may be the better choice at the moment
until
the vagrancies some 2800 users appear to be suffering from are
sorted
out. It would be a lot cheaper as well..

Fair comment kráftéé assuming the OP is prepared to hunt for a
secondhand one. My 2800 is going AOK so I wonder what problems
people
are encountering? It has currently been running for 71 hours on
Plusnet MAX ADSL which will annoy Graham for sure!

SSSSHHH my 2600 has clocked over 190 hours so far & that is so low
because a certain woman decided to turn all the power in the house
off. The PCs are on a UPS unfortunately the router isn't......

Old September 4th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message

Bear in mind that almost no multifunction printers, and not all
ordinary printers, work with printservers of any kind. If your printer
comes with fancy drivers for stuff like ink-level monitoring, it
probably won't work.

Check the manufacturer's website AND the printserver makers site, and
if you don't find anything confirming it DOES work, assume it won't.

OTOH if you have a basic printer it can be a very good solution. My
Brother HL-1250 has worked perfectly with two different SMC routers - but it
does not try to report anything back to the PC. The only problem is, if
there an error causing incorrect data to be sent to the printer, it can take
a lot of switching off and on to clear the buffers and restore normal
operation. No doubt a printer with a network port is a better solution if
you are starting from scratch.

--
Tony W
My e-mail address has no hyphen