GSM gateways with SIP

Old September 1st 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default GSM gateways with SIP

I've recently been browsing ebay looking for these devices, with a
vague idea of finding something that'll do for GSM calls what the
SPA3000 does for PSTN calls, ie integrate as a trunk on a PBX
(specifically Aterisk - Trixbox) for inward and outbound calls.

After some digging around, it seems that, like ATAs, there is quite a
lot of difference in what these devices can and can't do.... Prices
also seem to vary a lot.

Anyone tried any of these things? Impressions?

Here are a couple of links to one particular ebayer to give you an idea
of what I'm going on about:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d... promot_widget
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tri-Band-GSM-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Old September 1st 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 submitted this idea :
I've recently been browsing ebay looking for these devices, with a
vague idea of finding something that'll do for GSM calls what the
SPA3000 does for PSTN calls, ie integrate as a trunk on a PBX
(specifically Aterisk - Trixbox) for inward and outbound calls.

After some digging around, it seems that, like ATAs, there is quite a
lot of difference in what these devices can and can't do.... Prices
also seem to vary a lot.

Anyone tried any of these things? Impressions?

Here are a couple of links to one particular ebayer to give you an idea
of what I'm going on about:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d... promot_widget
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tri-Band-GSM-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Erm, I've can't see the ebay pages as I've got them blocked at the
firewall!

I'm using one of these http://www.blueict.com/dockntalk.htm,
connected to an SPA3000. Does the job effectively. Cost about 150 ish

Old September 2nd 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
[...]

Cheers Jono, I've had a quick look at that page and now have more
questions.

How do you connect it to your spa3k? And when connected to the SPA is
it then like a normal trunk in and out? Can the spa3k still be used
with PSTN when the dockntalk is connected to it - or does one need a
spa3k for pstn and one for the dockntalk? Is it easy to setup?

Old September 2nd 06, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheers Jono, I've had a quick look at that page and now have more
questions.

How do you connect it to your spa3k?

RJ11 to RJ11

And when connected to the SPA is
it then like a normal trunk in and out?

Yes, it's just like a PSTN line, as far as the SPA3K's concerned.

Can the spa3k still be used
with PSTN when the dockntalk is connected to it - or does one need a
spa3k for pstn and one for the dockntalk?

An SPA3K for each is required, unfortunately.

Is it easy to setup?

Absolutely.....there's nothing to set up. As the d-n-t masquerades as a line
(it even provides dialtone) all you do is plug the SPA in to its line-out
socket & connect a mobile phone. If you have the cabled version, rather than
bluetooth, you get the advantage of the phone being charged as well

Old September 2nd 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheers Jono, I've had a quick look at that page and now have more
questions.

How do you connect it to your spa3k?

RJ11 to RJ11

And when connected to the SPA is
it then like a normal trunk in and out?

Yes, it's just like a PSTN line, as far as the SPA3K's concerned.

Can the spa3k still be used
with PSTN when the dockntalk is connected to it - or does one need a
spa3k for pstn and one for the dockntalk?

An SPA3K for each is required, unfortunately.

Is it easy to setup?

Absolutely.....there's nothing to set up. As the d-n-t masquerades as a line
(it even provides dialtone) all you do is plug the SPA in to its line-out
socket & connect a mobile phone. If you have the cabled version, rather than
bluetooth, you get the advantage of the phone being charged as well

Thanks for the info. Sounds great. Which one do you have - the cabled
or bluetooth version? And where did you get it?

Getting another spa3k to use it with makes it a bit pricey, but still
sounds like "must have". I can just imagine the question from my other
half "but do we really need it?" huh, boys and their toys eh?

Another thought. Rather than using another spa3k, I suppose it could
just connect to a x100p card on the asterisk box? That would be a bit
cheaper at least.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 presented the following explanation :

Thanks for the info. Sounds great. Which one do you have - the cabled
or bluetooth version? And where did you get it?

Cabled. I just leave an old 6310i permanently plugged in. I got it from
BlueICT. They even sent me it on approval! I must have a trustworthy
voice.

Getting another spa3k to use it with makes it a bit pricey, but still
sounds like "must have". I can just imagine the question from my other
half "but do we really need it?" huh, boys and their toys eh?

I have a contract mobile permanently connected. Family members use the
Asterisk callback feature from their PAYG mobiles. Then asterisk calls
them back using the dockNtalk trunk, from my inclusive minutes. Makes
their credit last quite a while.

Another thought. Rather than using another spa3k, I suppose it could
just connect to a x100p card on the asterisk box? That would be a bit
cheaper at least.

x100p would possibly work better than an SPA3K (clone card quality
excepted) as you wouldn't have the
double-send-dtmf-to-spa-then-to-dnt-delay.

The only potential issue is that of location, or wiring. If using an
x100p, the wire's got to run back to your server, whereas with an SPA,
you can connect it anywhere on your network, over the internet, or even
wirelessly.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 wrote:
I've recently been browsing ebay looking for these devices, with a
vague idea of finding something that'll do for GSM calls what the
SPA3000 does for PSTN calls, ie integrate as a trunk on a PBX
(specifically Aterisk - Trixbox) for inward and outbound calls.

After some digging around, it seems that, like ATAs, there is quite a
lot of difference in what these devices can and can't do.... Prices
also seem to vary a lot.

Anyone tried any of these things? Impressions?

I'm being rather slow to understand the desired functions you are
looking into, and the subsequent discussion is certainly over my head,
but you might also look into something like Nokia Premicell, which is
used in for example offices to route outgoing calls on to either
landline or GSM networks, with SIM card(s?) installed.

It seems to me you were also thinking about incoming calls being routed
out again, or callback, but maybe you would be able to control this
from your Asterisk/ATA set-up; I don't know

Apologies if this suggestion is hopelessly naive

Old September 2nd 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

andy wrote:
paul123 wrote:
I've recently been browsing ebay looking for these devices, with a
vague idea of finding something that'll do for GSM calls what the
SPA3000 does for PSTN calls, ie integrate as a trunk on a PBX
(specifically Aterisk - Trixbox) for inward and outbound calls.

After some digging around, it seems that, like ATAs, there is quite a
lot of difference in what these devices can and can't do.... Prices
also seem to vary a lot.

Anyone tried any of these things? Impressions?

I'm being rather slow to understand the desired functions you are
looking into, and the subsequent discussion is certainly over my head,
but you might also look into something like Nokia Premicell, which is
used in for example offices to route outgoing calls on to either
landline or GSM networks, with SIM card(s?) installed.

I don't exactly understand it all either Andy, but from what I gather,
if the device has a socket to attach a normal handset, then that port
could be used to attach the device to an Aterisk server. Having had a
quick look via google, it would seem that yes, the Premicell could
almost certainly do what I'm looking to do.

It seems to me you were also thinking about incoming calls being routed
out again, or callback, but maybe you would be able to control this
from your Asterisk/ATA set-up; I don't know

Routing incoming calls into my asterisk box is the main need here.
Forwarding to other numbers or callbacks etc would be some of the
extras that can be added by Asterisk

Apologies if this suggestion is hopelessly naive

No apologies required, to me at least.

Old September 2nd 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
paul123 presented the following explanation :

snip
I have a contract mobile permanently connected. Family members use the
Asterisk callback feature from their PAYG mobiles. Then asterisk calls
them back using the dockNtalk trunk, from my inclusive minutes. Makes
their credit last quite a while.

Yes, that's a good idea. I could do something similar here in Spain,
and so do away with the 2nd contract on my wife's mobile by converting
it to a cheaper PAYG plan.

Another thought. Rather than using another spa3k, I suppose it could
just connect to a x100p card on the asterisk box? That would be a bit
cheaper at least.

x100p would possibly work better than an SPA3K (clone card quality
excepted) as you wouldn't have the
double-send-dtmf-to-spa-then-to-dnt-delay.

Good point

The only potential issue is that of location, or wiring. If using an
x100p, the wire's got to run back to your server, whereas with an SPA,
you can connect it anywhere on your network, over the internet, or even
wirelessly.

Agreed, the SPA would be more versatile, but thinking out of the box -
why not just connect the landline via the x100p and use the SPA I
already have for the gsm gateway (and just accept the
double-send-dtmf-to-spa-then-to-dnt-delay)?

Old September 2nd 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm being rather slow to understand the desired functions you are
looking into, and the subsequent discussion is certainly over my head,
but you might also look into something like Nokia Premicell, which is
used in for example offices to route outgoing calls on to either
landline or GSM networks, with SIM card(s?) installed.

A premicell is identical in almost every respect to the dock-n-talk,
however, aren't they around 300 to buy new?

The main difference between the two - if paul123 was going to interface his
GSM when he is at home and take it with him when he goes out, then the
premicell would have to be opened up all the time to take the SIM card in
and out. However, if he's going to have a separate SIM card, the premicell
would also be just the ticket.