FTP access to home computer possible?

« . | Orange LLU »

Old September 2nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default FTP access to home computer possible?

Hi all,

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

Any pointers/ideas/advice?

Thanks

Markus

P.S. MacOS X 10.4.7

Old September 2nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 1 Sep 2006 16:57:00 -0700, "Markus Winter"
wrote:

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

You would, obviously, need an FTP daemon on your PC.

Other than that you need some way of addressing your PC - either leave
your "modem" on 24/7 and "know" your IP address or use one of the
dynamic IP address DNS services like http://www.dyndns.com/

In an ideal situation, you should have a router that supports dyndns
and forwards requests to PC's on your LAN as required.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old September 2nd 06, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Markus Winter formulated on Saturday :

How about www.logmein.com they do a free or paid for service.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article . com,
"Markus Winter" wrote:

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

Any pointers/ideas/advice?

Thanks

Markus

P.S. MacOS X 10.4.7

I use www.dyndns.com with my ntl connection to give my home connection a
static IP address. As the IP number changes so infrequently, I had to
use the static IP option (I got kicked off the dynamic option after a
month or so). My home router forwards the incoming requests to the
correct Mac. I set everything up ages ago and forgot about it.

Rather than FTP, I use the normal Apple File Sharing from work to access
my home Mac's folders and disks in a normal Mac-type way. In the Finder,
do Command K to Connect to Server, then type afp:// followed by the
server name dyndns give you.

For secure AFP connections using SSH, turn on Remote Login on both Macs
(Sharing control panel). There used to be issues with AFP over SSH with
previous versions of MacOS X and TBH I'm not sure what the situation is
nowadays.

See
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/f...ebruary/017917.
html

At least this thread has jogged my memory to do something about it!
Old September 2nd 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:57:00 -0700, Markus Winter wrote:

Hi all,

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

1. Static IP (or static long enough (ntl) to be usefull).

2. SSH - very secure.

3. Putty for ssh.

4. FTP is not secure.

Any pointers/ideas/advice?

Thanks

Markus

P.S. MacOS X 10.4.7

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Old September 2nd 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article . com,
"Markus Winter" writes:
Hi all,

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

Any pointers/ideas/advice?

I look after a Blueyonder user in London, and they are NAT'ed
onto a private IP address, so it just isn't going to work.
Don't know if all Blueyonder cable accounts work that way.
You ideally want a provider which gives you a routable static
IP address (don't know if that might be an option you can ask
for).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old September 2nd 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

:

In article . com,
"Markus Winter" writes:
Hi all,

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

Any pointers/ideas/advice?

I look after a Blueyonder user in London, and they are NAT'ed
onto a private IP address, so it just isn't going to work.
Don't know if all Blueyonder cable accounts work that way.
You ideally want a provider which gives you a routable static
IP address (don't know if that might be an option you can ask
for).

Static IP isn't essential, do a search for 'dynamic DNS'.

Tried PCAnywhere? But this also needs a target IP address.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Old September 2nd 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Markus Winter" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi all,
:
: I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
: computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?
:
: Any pointers/ideas/advice?
:
: Thanks
:
: Markus
:
: P.S. MacOS X 10.4.7
:

Have a read here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old September 2nd 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ACDeag wrote:

How about www.logmein.com they do a free or paid for service.

Ideal for Win XP not Mac OS X
Old September 2nd 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I'm with Telewest/NTL/Blueyonder and would like to be able to access my
computer at home from when I'm on the road - but how?

You would, obviously, need an FTP daemon on your PC.

No he wouldn't. OSX comes with a ready-installed FTP server that just
needs switching on in the 'sharing' prefs. panel.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL