Wireless help please??

Old September 2nd 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Wireless help please??

Windows XP HOME SP2 on PC and Laptop

I have been running my new laptop on a wireless network with my PC for about
two months now without problem, but today it says it cannot find a network
connection.

Nothing has changed with my setup and I have tried rebooting PC and Laptop
and even turned off my BT (UK) Router and restarted it but still no network
connection can be found.

My PC is working find and connects ok through the router, but this is wired
and doesn't use a wireless connection

I have no idea what to do next to troubleshoot this problem.

Can some kind person guide me please?

Cheers

Graham

Old September 2nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"G" wrote in message
Windows XP HOME SP2 on PC and Laptop

I have been running my new laptop on a wireless network with my PC for
about two months now without problem, but today it says it cannot find a
network connection.

Nothing has changed with my setup and I have tried rebooting PC and Laptop
and even turned off my BT (UK) Router and restarted it but still no
network connection can be found.

My PC is working find and connects ok through the router, but this is
wired and doesn't use a wireless connection

I have no idea what to do next to troubleshoot this problem.

Can some kind person guide me please?

Cheers

Graham

Does your lap top have a switch or a function key to switch wireless
connection on and off and is it switched on

Old September 2nd 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"G" wrote in message
Windows XP HOME SP2 on PC and Laptop

I have been running my new laptop on a wireless network with my PC for
about two months now without problem, but today it says it cannot find a
network connection.

Nothing has changed with my setup and I have tried rebooting PC and Laptop
and even turned off my BT (UK) Router and restarted it but still no
network connection can be found.

My PC is working find and connects ok through the router, but this is
wired and doesn't use a wireless connection

I have no idea what to do next to troubleshoot this problem.

Can some kind person guide me please?

Cheers

Graham

as Trev suggests or just right click the connection icon on you icon bar and
select connect.

or have you installed/upgraded any Firewall software.

or what form is your wireless made, internal minipci or pc card or
usb..........either just might have gone tu.

Old September 3rd 06, 08:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Hi Trev

No obvious switch on my Acer laptop or shown in the manual, unless there is
a key sequence to turn it off that might have accidentally been hit?

Cheers

Graham

Old September 3rd 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Hi Lez

I have no switch I have found. Have clicked on connection icon and it
cannot find a wireless network in range that is why I rebooted my router but
to no effect. Using router as I email this so it is connected and Woking
fine just won't talk to my laptop anymore???

No Firewall upgrade at all or any change of software, but to be sure tried
turning off Firewall but no change still says 'Wireless Network Connection
is not connected'

Laptop has a wireless connection and has a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adaptor.

Thanks for your help!

Graham

Old September 3rd 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"G" wrote in message
Sorted now thanks guys!

So what was it as the next guy with the problem might like to know

Old September 3rd 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Very embarrassing but I found a thread with the same problem and my laptop
model (Acer 3000). He was told there was a button next to his headphone
socket to turn on Wireless. I did look for a button when the problem
started but all I saw was a light on the front but this turned out to
actually be a button and a light in one.

Ooops, now I feel very silly!

Old September 3rd 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:07:35 +0100, "Trev" trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM
wrote:

"G" wrote in message
Sorted now thanks guys!

So what was it as the next guy with the problem might like to know

Agreed, 'cos I have an Acer laptop

Old September 3rd 06, 02:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 10:35:11 +0100, G wrote:

Very embarrassing but I found a thread with the same problem and my laptop
model (Acer 3000). He was told there was a button next to his headphone
socket to turn on Wireless. I did look for a button when the problem
started but all I saw was a light on the front but this turned out to
actually be a button and a light in one.

Ooops, now I feel very silly!

Not quite so silly as I've done the same myself before :-))

Geoff Lane