ISDN over IP

Old September 2nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default ISDN over IP

I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may have
to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

ISDN is a bit pricey for the amount of time I'd use it. Is it possible to
run an ISDN session over some kind of ata type device? So virtual ISDN here
to real ISDN somewhere else...

Cheers,

Old September 2nd 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Barney wrote:

I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may have
to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

presumably by this you mean "plug in some proprietary codec unit that
talks to another one at the other end"

ISDN is a bit pricey for the amount of time I'd use it. Is it possible to
run an ISDN session over some kind of ata type device? So virtual ISDN here
to real ISDN somewhere else...

the short answer is probably "no". VoIP is packetised audio, ISDN is a
circuit switched system. A VoIP to VoIP call using a high bandwidth /
quality code is probably the closest thing if you can persuade the
other end to accept it.

Phil

Old September 2nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hey, check this site on VOIP, it looks fine to me. May be helps to
answer a few of your questions:

http://voiponline.bravehost.com/
Ankit Arora

Old September 3rd 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Barney" wrote in message
.uk...
I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may
have
to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

ISDN is a bit pricey for the amount of time I'd use it. Is it possible to
run an ISDN session over some kind of ata type device? So virtual ISDN
here
to real ISDN somewhere else...

Cheers,

In principle this should be OK, but there are two problems you would need to
worry about: -

Throughput class. Actually an issue from X.25 days, what it means is that
you have to be guaranteed a minimum amount of bandwidth an a second to
second basis.

Transit delay - all the nodes and packetisation mean that it can be a long
time before data from one end pops out at the other. Not only that but the
end station will need to keep a reasonable size buffer in case of glitches,
especially on long haul.

Old September 4th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Barney wrote:
I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may have
to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

Do you mean a wideband audio ISDN session for something like a radio
interview?

Tim
Old September 4th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Tim" wrote in message
Barney wrote:
I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may

have
to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

Do you mean a wideband audio ISDN session for something like a radio
interview?

Indeed but it won't be used that often, hence why I'd rather try something
IP based than the expense of getting ISDN installed.

Old September 4th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

In principle this should be OK, but there are two problems you would need

worry about: -

Throughput class. Actually an issue from X.25 days, what it means is that
you have to be guaranteed a minimum amount of bandwidth an a second to
second basis.

Transit delay - all the nodes and packetisation mean that it can be a long
time before data from one end pops out at the other. Not only that but

the
end station will need to keep a reasonable size buffer in case of

glitches,
especially on long haul.

Assuming that the potential problems could be overcome, is there any
equipment on the market to achieve it?

Old September 5th 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Barney" wrote in message
. uk...
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

In principle this should be OK, but there are two problems you would need

worry about: -

Throughput class. Actually an issue from X.25 days, what it means is
that
you have to be guaranteed a minimum amount of bandwidth an a second to
second basis.

Transit delay - all the nodes and packetisation mean that it can be a
long
time before data from one end pops out at the other. Not only that but

the
end station will need to keep a reasonable size buffer in case of

glitches,
especially on long haul.

Assuming that the potential problems could be overcome,

Former yes, latter not really*.

is there any equipment on the market to achieve it?

see http://www.westlake.co.uk/voip_gateway.htm or google a bit.

Old September 5th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Barney wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

Barney wrote:

I've been using VOIP for a while now, but there is a possibility I may

have

to do some ISDN audio sessions soon.

Do you mean a wideband audio ISDN session for something like a radio
interview?

Indeed but it won't be used that often, hence why I'd rather try something
IP based than the expense of getting ISDN installed.

There are wideband audio codes available for IP telephony.
These give similar quality to the ones used on ISDN
terminals. A proprietary one is used by the Skype service,
which is relatively easy to set up - the studio end would
need to interface to a PC sound card.

Note that any public Internet connection is liable to
impairment, given there's no dedicated circuit like ISDN.
Old September 5th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Barney wrote:
Indeed but it won't be used that often, hence why I'd rather try something
IP based than the expense of getting ISDN installed.

All the Snom phones will support wideband audio using G.722 at 64kbs of
audio.

But I suspect that your application requires some other wideband codec
running at 128kbs.

You would need compatible equipment at both ends.

What do they have at the other end? I don't know of any IP to ISDN
gateways that will pass through G.722 audio.

If you are trying to avoid the cost having an ISDN line installed, can
you not use somebody elses? If it was for audio, I'd try a local
radio station - if audio quality is important then a sound proof room,
decent microphones etc come into play.

Tim