economics of WiFi handsets

Old September 3rd 06, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default economics of WiFi handsets

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...wip330_europe/

Why on earth is anyone going to spend the thick end of 300 on a WiFi
handset? It only does WiFi - not SIP, GSM, 3G or anything else.

As a comparison for 300, one could buy:

- three ATAs and three pairs of DECT handsets, or
- a PDA with WiFi running SIP, Skype and MSN clients simultaneously, or
- two Siemens C-460IPs, and some GAP DECT handsets to pair with them, or
- a mobile that does GSM, WiFi and SIP, or
- a PC running Asterisk

etc. So where is the 300 value in this Linksys WiFi phone?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:03:46 up 7 days, 16:08, 3 users, load average: 0.32, 0.19, 0.12

Old September 3rd 06, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

When I originally read about it I assumed it doubled as normal GSM
mobile phone as well.
Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say that it is just a
gimmick for cleaning/security staff working within a campus. :P

Kind Regards

Malte

Old September 3rd 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say that it is just a
gimmick for cleaning/security staff working within a campus. :P

They've reinvented the Rabbit phone!

Old September 3rd 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

DMac wrote :
Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say that it is just a
gimmick for cleaning/security staff working within a campus. :P

They've reinvented the Rabbit phone!

I was just thinking that myself! I still have fond memories of that
device. Ah well.

Old September 3rd 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

alexd wrote:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...wip330_europe/

Why on earth is anyone going to spend the thick end of 300 on a WiFi
handset? It only does WiFi - not SIP, GSM, 3G or anything else.

"The WIP330 supports the SIP 2 VoIP standard "

Phil

Old September 3rd 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

PhilT wrote:

alexd wrote:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...wip330_europe/

Why on earth is anyone going to spend the thick end of 300 on a WiFi
handset? It only does WiFi - not SIP, GSM, 3G or anything else.

"The WIP330 supports the SIP 2 VoIP standard "

Sorry, spot the rather blindingly obvious mistake there. I knew it did SIP,
I meant to say 'just SIP, not GSM..."

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:05:09 up 7 days, 20:09, 3 users, load average: 0.44, 0.23, 0.13

Old September 3rd 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:

DMac wrote :
Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say that it is just a
gimmick for cleaning/security staff working within a campus. :P

They've reinvented the Rabbit phone!

I was just thinking that myself! I still have fond memories of that
device. Ah well.

A local corner shop still has a Rabbit "hot spot" or whatever the
nomenclature is.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:06:09 up 7 days, 20:10, 3 users, load average: 0.29, 0.23, 0.14

Old September 3rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"alexd" wrote in message ...
Jono wrote:

DMac wrote :
Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say that it is just a
gimmick for cleaning/security staff working within a campus. :P

They've reinvented the Rabbit phone!

I was just thinking that myself! I still have fond memories of that
device. Ah well.

A local corner shop still has a Rabbit "hot spot" or whatever the
nomenclature is.

Warren?

Watership Down, you've read the book, you've seen the film, now try the pie!
(alleged sign on game merchant's window).

Old September 3rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Jono" wrote
in message
yonder.com.co.uk
DMac wrote :
Now that you point out it doesn't do GSM I would say
that it is just a gimmick for cleaning/security staff
working within a campus. :P

They've reinvented the Rabbit phone!

I was just thinking that myself! I still have fond
memories of that device. Ah well.

IIRC it was just about the only cordless device that could handle more
than one base station on the same handset without switching, i.e. be able
to accept an incoming call on more than one line. OK so you had to switch
bases before you could dial out on the second line, but it would ring for
more than one, whereas I don't know of any DECT handset that will do this,
short of the very expensive 2-line systems.

The only thing that let it down IMHO was the build quality of the
handsets. Drop one and it would fly into a million pieces..!

Ivor