ADSL via Different Phone

Old September 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default ADSL via Different Phone

Curiosity,

My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different addresses.

She has been away from her home address for a while and I wanted to check
her connection was working ok.

A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should be able to
log on with her username at my home address.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this as at the moment I cannot check her
own phone connection.

Geoff Lane

Old September 3rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Geoff Lane wrote:

Curiosity,

My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different addresses.

She has been away from her home address for a while and I wanted to check
her connection was working ok.

A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should be able to
log on with her username at my home address.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this as at the moment I cannot check her
own phone connection.

I don't know about Pipex, but it certainly was the case when I was with Plusnet.

We found this out by accident when I plugged my router in at a friend's house to try
her new connection. I set her details up to try the line out and all worked.

When I brought the router home it still had her details in as I'd forgotten to change
them after we finished. I plugged it in when I got home to put my info back, and
found I could surf using her login.

Up 'til then I thought the connection was bound to CLID, but it would seem that this
isn't always the case.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old September 3rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:04:32 +0100, Andrew Sayers wrote:

My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different
addresses.

A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should
be able to log on with her username at my home address.

I don't know about Pipex, but it certainly was the case when
I was with Plusnet.

Up 'til then I thought the connection was bound to CLID, but it
would seem that this isn't always the case.

We both have the CLID option enabled on our BT line but then I thought
that only showed when an actual phone call was made.

Geoff Lane

Old September 3rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news | Curiosity,

| My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different addresses.
|
| She has been away from her home address for a while and I wanted to check
| her connection was working ok.
|
| A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should be able to
| log on with her username at my home address.
|
| Anyone able to confirm or deny this as at the moment I cannot check her
| own phone connection.
|
| Geoff Lane

It depends. Some will allow you to do this, some will not. It does not seem to
come down to the MUX or DSLAM either.

I have two pipex accounts at two addresses five miles apart. One from one
exchange, one from a smaller exchange. BOTH DSLAMS going back to the same
parent. I can't interuse them with pipex, but I could with plusnet. Technically
I can't tell you why that is either!

Then answer is to try it out!

Old September 3rd 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news

We both have the CLID option enabled on our BT line but then I thought
that only showed when an actual phone call was made.

You thought correctly. ADSL is an RF signal using your copper pair to
the exchange - nowt to do with phone calls, with or without CLID.

- -
Martin

Old September 3rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article o.uk,
Geoff Lane says...
Curiosity,

My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different addresses.

She has been away from her home address for a while and I wanted to check
her connection was working ok.

A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should be able to
log on with her username at my home address.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this as at the moment I cannot check her
own phone connection.

You can't.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old September 4th 06, 12:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"GM6TRS" [email protected] wrote:

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news

We both have the CLID option enabled on our BT line but then I thought
that only showed when an actual phone call was made.

You thought correctly. ADSL is an RF signal using your copper pair to
the exchange - nowt to do with phone calls, with or without CLID.

Fair comment. I really meant to the phone number on the line. AFAIK the ISP uses this
somehow, but hey, I'm sure people know what I meant

- -
Martin

Your sig is broken btw. You've got a - - (hyphen space hyphen) and it should be
(hyphen hyphen space and return) to get the correct sig cut off.

Thought I'd mention this as you obviously know what you meant, but have got the
hyphens and space slightly out of sequence. :-)

--

Andrew Sayers
Old September 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Conor wrote:

In article o.uk,
Geoff Lane says...
Curiosity,

My daughter and I both have pipex broadband from different addresses.

She has been away from her home address for a while and I wanted to check
her connection was working ok.

A few people mentioned if both lines were adsl enabled I should be able to
log on with her username at my home address.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this as at the moment I cannot check her
own phone connection.

You can't.

You could (or used to be able to) with Plusnet.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old September 4th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
"GM6TRS" [email protected] wrote:

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news

We both have the CLID option enabled on our BT line but then I

thought
that only showed when an actual phone call was made.

You thought correctly. ADSL is an RF signal using your copper pair to
the exchange - nowt to do with phone calls, with or without CLID.

Fair comment. I really meant to the phone number on the line. AFAIK

the ISP uses this
somehow, but hey, I'm sure people know what I meant

- -
Martin

Your sig is broken btw. You've got a - - (hyphen space hyphen) and it

should be
(hyphen hyphen space and return) to get the correct sig cut off.

Thought I'd mention this as you obviously know what you meant, but

have got the
hyphens and space slightly out of sequence. :-)

Thanks Andrew. Is this OK now?

Old September 4th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"GM6TRS" [email protected] wrote:

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
.. .
"GM6TRS" [email protected] wrote:

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
news
We both have the CLID option enabled on our BT line but then I

thought
that only showed when an actual phone call was made.

You thought correctly. ADSL is an RF signal using your copper pair to
the exchange - nowt to do with phone calls, with or without CLID.

Fair comment. I really meant to the phone number on the line. AFAIK

the ISP uses this
somehow, but hey, I'm sure people know what I meant

- -
Martin

Your sig is broken btw. You've got a - - (hyphen space hyphen) and it

should be
(hyphen hyphen space and return) to get the correct sig cut off.

Thought I'd mention this as you obviously know what you meant, but

have got the
hyphens and space slightly out of sequence. :-)

Thanks Andrew. Is this OK now?

Yup, perfect :-)

--

Andrew Sayers