Cordless, dual PSTN/VOIP phone

Old September 3rd 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Cordless, dual PSTN/VOIP phone

I am currently shopping for a new phone.

Thought of bringing my old BT EasyCom1000 over to the next century with
an adaptor.
(http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=275436)
I have always liked the big screen (they should have put back-light on
it!), it's big buttons and the nice address book/call log features.

Anyway, I am now shopping for a new one instead, budget is ~ £60+VAT.

My eye has fallen on an eBay sold DECT phone, which sports both PSTN and
VOIP compatibility. Anyone used one of these before and can comment on
it's built quality, speech quality and menu handling
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Is there anything else that's worth looking at, for a similar price?

Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.

Kind Regards

Malte

Old September 3rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"SUMMONER" wrote in message

[snip]

Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.

And it was all going so well.......!

Ivor

Old September 3rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ya - was a hard decision. I am not a friend of proprietary stuff, usually.

Got a pile load of customers/friends on Skype already and find myself
using it more and more often.
In addition it now works on on my PDA (badly).

Kind Regards

Malte

Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

Old September 3rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"SUMMONER" wrote in message

Ya - was a hard decision. I am not a friend of
proprietary stuff, usually.
Got a pile load of customers/friends on Skype already and
find myself using it more and more often.
In addition it now works on on my PDA (badly).

Kind Regards

Malte

You'll have to convert them to SIP g

There are Wi-Fi phones that work with Skype I think but they're way too
overpriced for me to be at all interested.

Ivor

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old September 3rd 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

ya right...

This is similar to what happened to me with Instant Messaging. First I
had an ICQ account, then added AIM and finally MSN. All just to please
the others.
Today many of the networks are linked, allowing cross messaging.

I feel a long and hard road ahead, especially when it comes to keeping a
hold of that new 0207.. number I got off skype. :/

No way in life am I going to spend the kinda money Linksys want on a
hand set, that doesn't even replace my mobile phone.
I would rather settle for one of the £20 adapters and continue using my
trusty wired Easycom phone.

Kind Regards

Malte

Old September 3rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

After serious thinking SUMMONER wrote :

I feel a long and hard road ahead, especially when it comes to keeping a hold
of that new 0207.. number I got off skype. :/

Pedant on

Surely that's an 020 number?

Pedant off

Old September 3rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with a
sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51 pda
configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network and
that also works fine!

.. .

Old September 3rd 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Looks good for outgoing land line calls, but they don't give you a phone
number/voice mail.

What is the minimum top-up, in order to get the 120days free-calling?

What numbers do they mean with...
- UK National Rate 10p/min 0870???
- UK Personal 18p/min 07.. personal numbers???

What is their minimum connect charge?

Thanks!

Malte

)))' Orange Peel '((( wrote:
I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with a
sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51 pda
configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network and
that also works fine!

.. .

Old September 3rd 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

The sell in euros, 10 euro every 120 days, or £1.74 per month! The gave my a
0121 number as I live in brum, No voice mail but the most phones come with
them built in.
I only call uk / Ireland, sometimes USA and the Netherlands, so my bill has
never gone over the 2.50 euros
No connection fee !

.. .

)))' Orange Peel '((( wrote:
I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with
a sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51
pda configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network
and that also works fine!

.. .