Talk Talk bar over 70,s from signing up for phone/broadband packages

Old September 3rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Talk Talk bar over 70,s from signing up for phone/broadband packages

"After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to
Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet
service would be a doddle.

But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was
barred - because she was too old.

The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone
Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by a
younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.

Mrs Greening-Jackson, who sits on the board of several charities, said: "I
was absolutely furious. The young man said, 'Sorry, you're over 70. It's
company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70."

More at
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1770

Regards
Sunil

Old September 3rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to
Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet
service would be a doddle.

But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was
barred - because she was too old.

The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone
Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by
a younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.

Mrs Greening-Jackson, who sits on the board of several charities, said: "I
was absolutely furious. The young man said, 'Sorry, you're over 70. It's
company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70."

More at
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1770

I read that the new age Discrimination laws come into effect this week.
Carphone Warehouse could be in for a shock if someone over 70 decides to
fight back. Unfortunately I am only 62 so can't do it.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old September 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:36:37 UTC, "Keith Willcocks"
wrote:

I read that the new age Discrimination laws come into effect this week.
Carphone Warehouse could be in for a shock if someone over 70 decides to
fight back. Unfortunately I am only 62 so can't do it.

Unfortunately applies only to the workplace, not consumers. The article
suggests that it should be extended...
--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!
Old September 3rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Sunil Sood
writes
"After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to
Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet
service would be a doddle.

But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was
barred - because she was too old.

The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone
Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by a
younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.

Mrs Greening-Jackson, who sits on the board of several charities, said: "I
was absolutely furious. The young man said, 'Sorry, you're over 70. It's
company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70."

More at
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...s.html?in_arti
cle_id=403333&in_page_id=1770

That's quite astonishing. However, I suppose they're trying to protect
themselves against being accused of signing up confused pensioners who
didn't understand what they were doing.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old September 3rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 19:09:37 +0100, Martin Jay
wrote:

|In message , Sunil Sood
writes
|"After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to
|Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet
|service would be a doddle.
|
|But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was
|barred - because she was too old.
|
|The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone
|Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by a
|younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.
|
|Mrs Greening-Jackson, who sits on the board of several charities, said: "I
|was absolutely furious. The young man said, 'Sorry, you're over 70. It's
|company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70."
|
|More at
|http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...s.html?in_arti
|cle_id=403333&in_page_id=1770
|
|That's quite astonishing. However, I suppose they're trying to protect
|themselves against being accused of signing up confused pensioners who
|didn't understand what they were doing.

I thought that age discrimination was illegal now.
Now just turned 70 with a PhD in Computing, so also insulted.

Old September 3rd 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I thought that age discrimination was illegal now.
Now just turned 70 with a PhD in Computing, so also insulted.

You obtained your PhD when just turned 70? Many congratulations for such an
achievement. :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old September 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:28:26 +0100, "Old Codger"
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| I thought that age discrimination was illegal now.
| Now just turned 70 with a PhD in Computing, so also insulted.
|
|You obtained your PhD when just turned 70? Many congratulations for such an
|achievement. :-)

Actually just under 50.
Old September 3rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

On 3-Sep-2006, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|That's quite astonishing. However, I suppose they're trying to protect
|themselves against being accused of signing up confused pensioners who
|didn't understand what they were doing.

If that were the case they could cover it in T&C like their liability
being limited to refunding the amount paid for the current period
of service. Of course if pensioners pay by Direct Debit and then
become incapacitated, and unable to cancel, the DD along with
other DD's could run indefinitely.
Old September 3rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I thought that age discrimination was illegal now.
Now just turned 70 with a PhD in Computing, so also insulted.

You obtained your PhD when just turned 70? Many congratulations for
such an achievement. :-)

Actually just under 50.

Still quite an achievement.

--