re-cabling

Old September 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default re-cabling

I live in a flat in Central London (Pimlico), that has, over the years,

accumulated miles of NTL (TV and ethernet) and telephone cabling.
I wish to re-route these cables in a more logical structure and where I

can, move them under (relatively untrodden upon) areas of carpet.
I therefore need someone who knows how to re-route and re-terminate NTL

cable TV and ethernet cables and BT telephone cables AND lift and
replace carpet edges.
NTL will do the former, but not the latter.
Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably just a
couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Old September 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in a flat in Central London (Pimlico), that has, over the years,

accumulated miles of NTL (TV and ethernet) and telephone cabling.
I wish to re-route these cables in a more logical structure and where I

can, move them under (relatively untrodden upon) areas of carpet.
I therefore need someone who knows how to re-route and re-terminate NTL

cable TV and ethernet cables and BT telephone cables AND lift and
replace carpet edges.
NTL will do the former, but not the latter.
Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably just a
couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

There are myriad tales of how well meaning people decided to tidy up tangled
wiring harnesses etc. and how long it took to sort it out when stuff was dis
/ cross connected...

Old September 4th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the prudent advice, but all I need to do is move the outlet
from behind the TV, where the signal is split between broadband and TV,
to a point where the supply enters the flat, just to prevent miles of
doubled back cables.
The logic of whomever installed the cabling must have been severely
twisted - unless he was paid by the yard - this simple re-location
would reduce the amount of cable by 2/3's!

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably just a
couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Whatever you DON'T move cable under carpets, you are just storing up
trouble!!

Dave

Old September 4th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"gort" wrote in message
news

Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably just a
couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Whatever you DON'T move cable under carpets, you are just storing up
trouble!!

Dave

It's OK as long as you get them between the gripper bars and the wall. OTOH
if the BT man puts them back wrong then the spikes go through the cable
(oops!), so slunk them in with mastic.

Old September 4th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

It's OK as long as you get them between the gripper bars and the wall. OTOH
if the BT man puts them back wrong then the spikes go through the cable
(oops!), so slunk them in with mastic.

Maybe.......

Dave

Old September 4th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"gort" wrote in message
news

Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably
just
a couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Whatever you DON'T move cable under carpets, you are just storing
up
trouble!!

Dave

It's OK as long as you get them between the gripper bars and the
wall. OTOH if the BT man puts them back wrong then the spikes go
through the cable (oops!), so slunk them in with mastic.

Is more the slash of the carpet fitters knife (& why do they just use
standard blades instead of the correct hooked ones)

Old September 5th 06, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"gort" wrote in message
news

Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably just
a couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Whatever you DON'T move cable under carpets, you are just storing up
trouble!!

Dave

It's OK as long as you get them between the gripper bars and the
wall. OTOH if the BT man puts them back wrong then the spikes go
through the cable (oops!), so slunk them in with mastic.

Is more the slash of the carpet fitters knife (& why do they just use
standard blades instead of the correct hooked ones)

The hooked ones are for lino, and hurt more when you stick them in you
fingers (but don't do quite as much damage.

Old September 5th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in message
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"gort" wrote in message
news
Any ideas how I might find somebody who can do both - probably
just a couple of hours work?
Thanks
Nick

Whatever you DON'T move cable under carpets, you are just storing
up trouble!!

Dave

It's OK as long as you get them between the gripper bars and the
wall. OTOH if the BT man puts them back wrong then the spikes go
through the cable (oops!), so slunk them in with mastic.

Is more the slash of the carpet fitters knife (& why do they just
use
standard blades instead of the correct hooked ones)

The hooked ones are for lino, and hurt more when you stick them in
you
fingers (but don't do quite as much damage.

Wouldn't put cut marks half way up the wall or damamge the paintwork
either. I've had new carpet twice this year & both times I've got
apparently random cut marks (up to about waist height) in newley
decorated rooms. I would understand a scoring or 2 on the skirting
boards but not right up the walls....