Moved house - Can't get old marker/tag removed

Old September 4th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Moved house - Can't get old marker/tag removed

Hi

I moved house 3 weeks ago and my ISP cannot place a broadband order for
the line because it is "incompatible". This probably means that the
previous owner's ISP has a marker/tag on the line.

BT won't talk to me and my ISP just sits on hold for 2 1/2 hours when
they call the official number and simply can't get through to BT to find
out what the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?
No cable here and I can't do much research on a slow dial-up line.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Yes I have written to BT's chief exec, Oftel etc. but nothing except
acknowledgements.

TIA
Hugh
Old September 4th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Invisible Man wrote on 04/09/2006 :
Hi

I moved house 3 weeks ago and my ISP cannot place a broadband order for the
line because it is "incompatible". This probably means that the previous
owner's ISP has a marker/tag on the line.

BT won't talk to me and my ISP just sits on hold for 2 1/2 hours when they
call the official number and simply can't get through to BT to find out what
the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?

Are BT themselves still offering a three month trial? (did I imagine
that?) If they are, I'm sure they'd be able to sort it if you applied
to them for broadband......

or:
1. Ring BT & report a fault?
2. Ring BT & ask them to remove the flag?
3. Ask former occupant which ISP he was with & ring them
4. Request a re-number (not guaranteed to work)
5. Request a Cease & Re-provide (might be same as 4)
6. Install a new line & cease the old one?

Old September 4th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"The Invisible Man" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I moved house 3 weeks ago and my ISP cannot place a broadband order for
the line because it is "incompatible". This probably means that the
previous owner's ISP has a marker/tag on the line.

BT won't talk to me and my ISP just sits on hold for 2 1/2 hours when they
call the official number and simply can't get through to BT to find out
what the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?
No cable here and I can't do much research on a slow dial-up line.

Any ideas much appreciated.

No ideas. Just wishing you luck. Had the same problem myself, the industry
is in a mess and Ofcom are responsible. Thankfully my new ISP resolved my
broadband problem. Still took 6 weeks from moving in though.

Old September 4th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:30:16 +0100, The Invisible Man
wrote:

Yes I have written to BT's chief exec, Oftel etc. but nothing except
acknowledgements.

TIA
Hugh

Try a politely worded email to . I'll be surprised if you
don't get a fast response there. Even if BT support *is* pathetic,
all serious emails to the exec's office are acted upon quickly afaik.

That's where we ended up when our entire village broadband was down
for four days and we went baying for BT's blood. To be fair, we got a
result after that, but the above was the only contact which yielded
results.

Travec
Old September 4th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Yes I have written to BT's chief exec, Oftel etc. but nothing
except
acknowledgements.

TIA
Hugh

Try a politely worded email to . I'll be surprised if
you
don't get a fast response there. Even if BT support *is* pathetic,
all serious emails to the exec's office are acted upon quickly
afaik.

That's where we ended up when our entire village broadband was down
for four days and we went baying for BT's blood. To be fair, we got
result after that, but the above was the only contact which yielded
results.

You were lucky, it took 5 weeks to sort out a similar situation in
Nottinghamshire

Old September 5th 06, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Does this help? http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/tag/
--
Keith Willcocks

Old September 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Keith Willcocks wrote:
"The Invisible Man" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I moved house 3 weeks ago and my ISP cannot place a broadband order for
the line because it is "incompatible". This probably means that the
previous owner's ISP has a marker/tag on the line.

BT won't talk to me and my ISP just sits on hold for 2 1/2 hours when they
call the official number and simply can't get through to BT to find out
what the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?
No cable here and I can't do much research on a slow dial-up line.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Yes I have written to BT's chief exec, Oftel etc. but nothing except
acknowledgements.

Does this help? http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/tag/

Thanks but I tried that and got an acknowledgement over 2 weeks ago
saying that I should receive a reply within 5 working days. Nothing
heard yet. They have no ordinary email contact point so I have sent a
polite reminder to their complains area.
Old September 6th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Keith Willcocks wrote:
[...]

Good luck - keep us posted.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old September 6th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 6-Sep-2006, "Keith Willcocks" wrote:

Thanks but I tried that and got an acknowledgement over 2 weeks ago saying
that I should receive a reply within 5 working days.

That seems to be one of the problems, no reply and nothing happens.
Plus the usual jobsworth runaround.