USB LAN convertor for desktop PC

Old September 4th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default USB LAN convertor for desktop PC

I have a netgear dg843g v3 working fine for a wireless laptop. I want
to connect it to an older desktop avoiding having to buy a USB wireless
adaptor for the desktop. The modem router has four LAN sockets but the
desktop has no network card and hence no LAN socket itself. If I plug a
USB to LAN socket like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

into a USB port on the desktop, will I then be able to connect to one
of the LAN sockets on the modem router. Or, is it the wrong way round.
Do I really need to buy a network card?

Thanks

Charles

Old September 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a netgear dg843g v3 working fine for a wireless laptop. I want
to connect it to an older desktop avoiding having to buy a USB wireless
adaptor for the desktop. The modem router has four LAN sockets but the
desktop has no network card and hence no LAN socket itself. If I plug a
USB to LAN socket like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

into a USB port on the desktop, will I then be able to connect to one
of the LAN sockets on the modem router. Or, is it the wrong way round.
Do I really need to buy a network card?

It is a network card.
With a USB interface.
It will plug into the router and work to connect the PC.

Note that it is only a USB ONE device.
You probably want a USB TWO device if you expect to get better than about 6M
from it.

Old September 4th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 04/09/06 21:55, wrote :-
I have a netgear dg843g v3 working fine for a wireless laptop. I want
to connect it to an older desktop avoiding having to buy a USB wireless
adaptor for the desktop. The modem router has four LAN sockets but the
desktop has no network card and hence no LAN socket itself. If I plug a
USB to LAN socket like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

into a USB port on the desktop, will I then be able to connect to one
of the LAN sockets on the modem router. Or, is it the wrong way round.
Do I really need to buy a network card?

Thanks

Charles

Hi,

One of those would work for connection to the router. However, you'll
note that it's only a USB1.1 device (12Mbps - 1/10th your theoretical
max. connection with 100Mbps LAN), so it'll be pretty poor when talking
to the internet and other computers on the LAN at the same time, for
instance.

TBH, you'd be better served by grabbing a PCI Ethernet card - for
instance,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ethernet-PCI-10-100-LAN-Adapter-Network-Interface-Card_W0QQitemZ120025772579QQihZ002QQcategoryZ51195 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(hope that works! - item number 120025772579)

For best performance (not that you're likely to need it), grab an Intel
(yuk!) Pro card -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-100-Ethernet-Card-with-Software-Intel-Pro-100_W0QQitemZ9725071179QQihZ008QQcategoryZ51195QQs sPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Item no. 9725071179)

It pains me to say it, but their Ethernet cards are about the best you
can get. Either way, it's not like you'll be paying much of a premium

xF,

....Nick
Old September 4th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the response.

I don't quote follow though. It cannot plug into the router as that has
no USB port. I am considering plugging the USB end into a USB port on
the PC and then connecting an ethernet cable from there into the back
of the modem router.

Charles

[email protected] wrote:

oups.com...

Old September 5th 06, 02:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message
oups.com...
:I have a netgear dg843g v3 working fine for a wireless laptop. I want
: to connect it to an older desktop avoiding having to buy a USB
wireless
: adaptor for the desktop. The modem router has four LAN sockets but the
: desktop has no network card and hence no LAN socket itself. If I plug
: USB to LAN socket like this one
:
:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
:
: into a USB port on the desktop, will I then be able to connect to one
: of the LAN sockets on the modem router. Or, is it the wrong way round.
: Do I really need to buy a network card?
:
: Thanks
:
: Charles
:

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb/...dCategoryID=30

I just bought one so I could sort out a friend's ancient machine. Worked
really well and worth having as a back up in case of similar need.

Deddajay

---
Put the big cat out to reach me.

Old September 5th 06, 06:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:38:19 -0700, chasmes wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I don't quote follow though. It cannot plug into the router as that has
no USB port. I am considering plugging the USB end into a USB port on
the PC and then connecting an ethernet cable from there into the back
of the modem router.

Charles

Yes, that will work. Yet you dont want to buy a wireless card which would
be faster, but want to buy this which could well be much slower. Don't see
the logic. Bite the bullet and get a pci wireless card.

Dave
Old September 5th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have a netgear dg843g v3 working fine for a wireless laptop. I want
to connect it to an older desktop avoiding having to buy a USB
wireless adaptor for the desktop. The modem router has four LAN
sockets but the desktop has no network card and hence no LAN socket
itself. If I plug a USB to LAN socket like this one

A ntework card for the desktop is the best answer. It should cost less than
a tenner.

Peter Crosland

Old September 5th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for all your help. It is very useful. Having a cheap and
non-wireless way of getting the (old and slow) desktop online with a
hard link to the modem router was my goal.

Old September 5th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort wrote:

Yes, that will work. Yet you dont want to buy a wireless card which would
be faster, but want to buy this which could well be much slower. Don't see
the logic. Bite the bullet and get a pci wireless card.

For plain and simple internet use, there seems little need to pay at least
twice as much for a wireless card as for this or a simple NIC. The benefit
for someone (so long as they are not using Windows 95/98) of this USB
device is the simple nature of installation - no need to open the case.

As for the speed - some may be after high speed, but others have no such
need - with deals recently available to provide 500/256 ADSL there's little
or no worry about a USB/Ethernet adaptor being "too slow", surely.

The reservation I'd have for buying this item on Ebay is the Seller's fees
for delivery. While the Seller is not listed as a "Shop", it seems clear
as soon as one checks "other items" that they have a large number
of products to shift, and my view is that their delivery fee is excessive
for something this small, which will probably be put in a Jiffy bag and
should cost less than a pound to post. A way to evade Ebay fees,
I would suspect, but so long as they get a cut for the sale, and
(probably) via payment using PayPal, Ebay seem unconcerned.

I'd buy a network card - even at an "inflated" price in a PC shop it
should not be as much as a tenner, and will provide a very reliable
connection to the router (with LEDs to show the connection is OK).
The router might have already come with a patch cable, so that's
ready to plug-in and go...
Old September 5th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Nicholas Thomas wrote:

(12Mbps - 1/10th your theoretical max. connection with 100Mbps LAN), so
it'll be pretty poor when talking to the internet and other computers on the
LAN at the same time, for instance.

Many have no need for inter-PC chatter - indeed without a firewall on each
PC it is one way to infect several PCs in a household if one isn't careful.

As for speed, how often do people care whether the connection is showing
1% or 3% (of 100 Mbps, which so many cards are capable of) ? I put mine
into a 10 Mbps hub so the graph is more useful (if I look at it at all).