email address

Old September 5th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default email address

If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with virgin
at present

Old September 5th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Brian wrote:
If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with virgin
at present

1. It is not generally a wise thing to leave your email address 'in the clear'
when posting to usenet. It gets picked up by spammers and abused. Spammers are
stupid, and will also attempt to abuse lid
too, but alteast the spam addressed to that does not go anywhere.

2. An email address ending @virgin.net belongs to virgin.net, NOT to you. If
you cease to be a customer, they can cease providing email service at that
address. You _MAY_, depending, on their policies and product line features,
continue to use that address, providing you maintain some sort of account with them.

3. If you were to register your own domain, which you can do for not a huge
outlay (kallmann.co.uk is available, and
www.123-reg.co.uk will charge you all
of 2.59 per year and give you control over where mail to, say, yourname @ that
domain is delivered. Other registrars and services are available), then you can
tell all your contacts about your new email address, and, when you change ISP,
simply point the new domain mail forwarding to the new provider.
Because the domain you register is yours, not virgin.net's, not 123-reg's, rule
#2 above does not apply. Do not forget to renew your domain registration, or
you may lose it.

Old September 5th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Brian wrote:

If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with
virgin at present

Very probably. I don't know a lot about Virgin, but if you can convert your
account into a dial-up PAYG account, you can keep the email address which
goes with it - but access it whilst physically connected to your new ISP. If
Virgin is like other ISPs, your account may lapse after a while if you never
dial into it, but there is probably a simple means of reviving it.

When *sending* emails, you will have to point your email client at your new
ISP's SMTP server even though you are using the Virgin email address.

I do exactly what you are wanting to do. I used to be with Freeserve, and am
now with Plusnet. By pointing Outlook at pop.freeserve.com for receiving
emails, and at relay.plus.net for sending them, I can send and receive
emails having a Freeserve address whilst connected using my Plusnet
broadband connection. I have to log on to Freeserve's (now Wanadoo/Orange)
account retrieval facility every 3 months when the account lapses - but it
only takes a few seconds to do.

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old September 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Brian wrote on Tue, 5 Sep 2006:

If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with virgin
at present

Hi Brian

You'd need to check if this is still the case, but when I left Virgin
last year they automatically converted my account into PAYG. I need to
dial into it once a month or so to keep it active. I still have 3 Virgin
addresses in use.

--
Nightowl
Old September 5th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Brian" wrote in message
: If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with
virgin
: at present
:
:

In short no - some my let you collect your mail not many will let you send.
You will have to contact your ISP to make sure!

It may be worth you having a read here http://www.kick-butt.co.uk/help/ and
stop this sort of thing happening to you again.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old September 5th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Nightowl wrote:
Brian wrote on Tue, 5 Sep 2006:

If I change my ISP will i have to change my email address? I am with virgin
at present

Hi Brian

You'd need to check if this is still the case, but when I left Virgin
last year they automatically converted my account into PAYG. I need to
dial into it once a month or so to keep it active. I still have 3 Virgin
addresses in use.

You're possibly wasting your 5ps. I converted my Virgin 24/7 dial up to
PAYG over three years ago. I haven't dialed in to them for over 18
months, yet all three of my Virgin mailboxes are still active, and also
still being sent spam^^^^^^promotional material by Virgin.

Old September 5th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mark Carver wrote on Tue, 5 Sep 2006:

You're possibly wasting your 5ps. I converted my Virgin 24/7 dial up to
PAYG over three years ago. I haven't dialed in to them for over 18
months, yet all three of my Virgin mailboxes are still active, and also
still being sent spam^^^^^^promotional material by Virgin.

LOL, thanks for that, Mark. Funny, none of my three addresses get any
spam (cough) *promotions* from Virgin, though there's plenty from
everyone else and his dog.

--
Nightowl