Sipgate and ATA186

Old September 5th 06, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Sipgate and ATA186

This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
This also rules out voicemail.

I've changed the analogue handset to an alternative which makes no
difference. The ATA186 is running Version: v3.1.0 atasip (Build
040211A).

Any ideas, please?
Old September 5th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Malcolm Loades wrote:

This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
This also rules out voicemail.

Any ideas, please?

are there any options to configure "in band signalling " or similar
DTMF options on the ATA ?

Phil

Old September 5th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message . com, PhilT
writes

Malcolm Loades wrote:

This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
This also rules out voicemail.

Any ideas, please?

are there any options to configure "in band signalling " or similar
DTMF options on the ATA ?

Not that I can see.

Sipgate have very detailed instructions for setting up the ATA186 on
their website including a screen shot of the ATA186 configuration page
(only accesible by registered users) and mine appears to match theirs.
I asked Sipgate support for help but they asked the same question as
you! I assume the ATA186 should work on Sipgate, otherwise why have
such detailed configuration details for it? Sipgate ignore this
question :-(

Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?

Thanks.
Old September 5th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Malcolm Loades wrote:

Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?

I have used mine with FWD as well as BT. Its resting at the moment.
(Assuming we're talking about a Cisco ATA186).

http://www.geckotechllc.com/pdf/CiscoATA18xguide.pdf may help. There's
a reference on p94 to an audio settings bitmap :-

4-5 and 20-21tmfMethod 0-Always in band.
1-By negotiation
2-Always out of band.
3-Disabled; no DTMF is sent. This is the default setting.

Good hunting.

Phil

Old September 5th 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in
message
In message
. com,
PhilT writes

Malcolm Loades wrote:

This works perfectly with the exception of not being
able to send DTMF tones over the line - dialling is
no problem. Therefore I'm unable to call most
business lines which answer with "For xxxx please
press y". This also rules out voicemail.

Any ideas, please?

are there any options to configure "in band signalling
" or similar DTMF options on the ATA ?

Not that I can see.

There should be an option somewhere, I've not seen a 186 however the 486 I
had was configurable in this way, I can't remember the details offhand.

However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial the remote access
number 020 7043 7777 then you should be able to access it ok, let me know
if you have problems. Note that this number will ask you for your SIP ID
and 4-digit PIN.

Ivor

Old September 5th 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Malcolm Loades wrote:
This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
This also rules out voicemail.

The same problem was reported to me yesterday but with sipgate and an
ATA1100.

I try and find out whether they got it working or not.

Tim
Old September 5th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
"Malcolm Loades" wrote in
message
In message
. com,
PhilT writes

Malcolm Loades wrote:

This works perfectly with the exception of not being
able to send DTMF tones over the line - dialling is
no problem. Therefore I'm unable to call most
business lines which answer with "For xxxx please
press y". This also rules out voicemail.

Any ideas, please?

are there any options to configure "in band signalling
" or similar DTMF options on the ATA ?

Not that I can see.

There should be an option somewhere, I've not seen a 186 however the 486 I
had was configurable in this way, I can't remember the details offhand.

However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial the remote access
number 020 7043 7777 then you should be able to access it ok, let me know
if you have problems. Note that this number will ask you for your SIP ID
and 4-digit PIN.

Fine if done from a 'regular' phone, but no good using the
ATA186/Sipgate combination because the tones aren't recognised!

Malcolm
Old September 5th 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message . com, PhilT
writes
Malcolm Loades wrote:

Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?

I have used mine with FWD as well as BT. Its resting at the moment.
(Assuming we're talking about a Cisco ATA186).

http://www.geckotechllc.com/pdf/CiscoATA18xguide.pdf may help. There's
a reference on p94 to an audio settings bitmap :-

Unfortunately this guide is for MGCP not SIP.

Malcolm
Old September 5th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Malcolm Loades wrote:

Unfortunately this guide is for MGCP not SIP.

are you saying the audio bitmap does not exist on the SIP config ?

Having run both MGCP and SIP there is a lot of common ground on the
settings, as is clear from the Cisco documentation on the web.

The Sipgate page shows "0x00150015" as the "AudioMode:" setting.

The default in the manual is 0x00350035

With my limited bitmap skills it appears that the Sipgate setting is
for "by negotiation" so I suggest you try 0x00050005 which is "DTMF
always in band".

Phil

Old September 6th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in
message
In message , Ivor Jones
writes

[snip]

However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial
the remote access number 020 7043 7777 then you should
be able to access it ok, let me know if you have
problems. Note that this number will ask you for your
SIP ID and 4-digit PIN.

Fine if done from a 'regular' phone, but no good using the
ATA186/Sipgate combination because the tones aren't
recognised!

Ah, I see what you mean. Can you send me a screenshot of the configuration
page..? Send to g6urp01 at googlemail dot com and I'll have a look and see
if I can see anything obviously out of place.

Ivor