using the same line?

Old September 5th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default using the same line?

Hi

I have a number of PCs feeding into a modem/router and connecting to the net
through that. There are no spare ethernet connections left on the router but
I want to connect another PC elesewhere.

I have an offer of a free USB ADSL modem.

Would I be able to connect using that on the same phone line whilst the
router is still connected?

Thanks

Old September 5th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

JIP wrote:

I have a number of PCs feeding into a modem/router and connecting to the net
through that. There are no spare ethernet connections left on the router but
I want to connect another PC elesewhere.

get a switch.

I have an offer of a free USB ADSL modem.

forget it.

Would I be able to connect using that on the same phone line whilst the
router is still connected?

no. Plug it in and the router will drop the line. Neither will work.

Phil

Old September 5th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

forget it.
no. Plug it in and the router will drop the line. Neither will work.

Oh well, thought I might save a penny or two.

Thanks

Old September 5th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"JIP" wrote in message
Hi

I have a number of PCs feeding into a modem/router and connecting to the
net through that. There are no spare ethernet connections left on the
router but I want to connect another PC elesewhere.

I have an offer of a free USB ADSL modem.

Would I be able to connect using that on the same phone line whilst the
router is still connected?

Thanks

Get a hub, about 25 will give you another 2-4 ports. It's also possible to
use another router as a hub (a cheap option if you have a spare router
knocking about), my network is currently supporting three routers, two
configured as hubs!

Peter