Zen 250

Old September 5th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Zen 250

Will this be IPStream or Datastream and will it have anything to do
with Tiscali?
TIA
Mike
Old September 5th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mike Laine wrote:

Will this be IPStream or Datastream and will it have anything to do
with Tiscali?

you should double check with Zen but AFAIK it will be IPStream Home250
certainly not anything to do with Tiscali. My only doubt is to whether
it may be MaxDSL variable rate which they used on 250 for a short time
but I believe reverted to fixed speed.

Phil

Old September 5th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Laine wrote:

Will this be IPStream or Datastream and will it have anything to do
with Tiscali?

you should double check with Zen but AFAIK it will be IPStream Home250
certainly not anything to do with Tiscali. My only doubt is to whether
it may be MaxDSL variable rate which they used on 250 for a short time
but I believe reverted to fixed speed.

Phil

On your last point, Phil, do you know when Zen tried MaxDSL on the 250
service?

Trev (on Zen Home 250)

Old September 6th 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Trev wrote:

On your last point, Phil, do you know when Zen tried MaxDSL on the 250
service?

sometime in April there were instances of 250 users getting Max by
accident (upstream higher than downstream - the new Asymmetry). Then
there was a decision to use Max by design, for simplicity. Then there
was an outcry as Max is a bit clunky on low speed lines (0.5M BRAS
profile increments, for example) so I believe the boss ruled that it
would stick to IPStream Home250.

The upstream modem sync speed is the giveaway in cases of doubt.

Phil

Old September 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I used to be on Home 500 ..changed to 8000 Active virtually
overnight...order in over the website on Sunday....connected and at 3.7Mbs
on Wednesday! and all free as a regrade....

I now have 7 times the download speed and 1.5 times the upload speed for the
same cost ....20Gb limit gves me loads of headroom since I was only using
maximum 5 Gbs a month anyway.

Old September 6th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I am on Home 250 with MaxDSL. It wasn't until Max came along that I
could get anything at all and then only with Netgear DG834 Router.
Nothing else that has been tried (including the BT engineer's test
gear) works. I have been a happy bunny since May on this service.
Since then others locally who like me are over 8Km from the exchange
have succeeded in getting a service with MaxDSL when nothing else
would work.

Old September 6th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Trev wrote:

On your last point, Phil, do you know when Zen tried MaxDSL on the 250
service?

sometime in April there were instances of 250 users getting Max by
accident (upstream higher than downstream - the new Asymmetry). Then
there was a decision to use Max by design, for simplicity. Then there
was an outcry as Max is a bit clunky on low speed lines (0.5M BRAS
profile increments, for example) so I believe the boss ruled that it
would stick to IPStream Home250.

The upstream modem sync speed is the giveaway in cases of doubt.

Phil

OK, thanks for the info: so I can rule out Max trials as a possible cause of
the worse than usual connection record here in August. I am over 11 km by
road from the exchange, on Zen Home 250 with a Netgear DG834. D/S Noise
margin has been back up to 8 db again for about a week (but no sync since 10
am today). BT say they will not accept any more fault reports on this
line...

Trev

Old September 6th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Chris" wrote in message
I am on Home 250 with MaxDSL. It wasn't until Max came along that I
could get anything at all and then only with Netgear DG834 Router.
Nothing else that has been tried (including the BT engineer's test
gear) works. I have been a happy bunny since May on this service.
Since then others locally who like me are over 8Km from the exchange
have succeeded in getting a service with MaxDSL when nothing else
would work.

Does this mean that MaxDSL will sync at speeds lower than 256k? Or maybe
that the signal level is higher with Max? Or what?

Trev

Old September 7th 06, 06:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Trev wrote:

Does this mean that MaxDSL will sync at speeds lower than 256k? Or maybe
that the signal level is higher with Max? Or what?

MaxDSL will drop to 160k minimum sync, but anything less than 288 sync
(=Home250) is regarded as a fault. It would of course be better than no
connection.

Phil

Old September 7th 06, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

For the record, with MaxDSL my Netgear connects at between 500-600 d/s
and about 400 u/s although Zen caps this at 256. The attenuation
reports as 63 because this is as high as the Netgear can show but it
is something over 70dB. Noise margin peaks at 6 and goes as low as 1
at times. It would not connect at all on the 250 IPStream service. I
contacted Zen as soon as the Max service was launched after failing on
their original 250 product. A member of their service provision team
agreed that it was worth trying Max DSL which up until then had not
been available on Home 250. After my success they told me (I still
have the email) that they would now implement MaxDSL automatically for
Home 250 on long lines such as mine. At 11Km I would have thought
that MaxDSL was your only chance.
It is generally recognised that the MaxDSL with interleaving will
enable synchronisation further from the exchange than IP Stream.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:01:52 +0100, "Trev" wrote:

"PhilT" wrote in message
roups.com...