Is it possibile to connect 2 wireless routers wirelessly?

Old September 6th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Is it possibile to connect 2 wireless routers wirelessly?

I'm trying to rig up a temporary arrangement to connect an older PC to
the LAN.

Unfortunately, because of its location, I cannot just run a length of
CAT5 cable to the router.

I have, however, an extra wireless router.

I was wondering if -- just as it is possible to daisy chain a second
router through Ethernet (with all the caveats that this entails, of
which I am aware) -- it were possible to daisy chain a second router
to the main LAN router _wirelessly_ and connect the older PC to the
second router via Ethernet.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

I did look around on the 'net but I could not find anything about it.

TIA for your comments and ideas

Lorenz

PS Yes, I know I could buy a USB wireless adaptor

[L.]
Old September 6th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

[L.] wrote:
I was wondering if [...]
it were possible to daisy chain a second router
to the main LAN router _wirelessly_ and connect the older PC to the
second router via Ethernet.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Yes, you can do this, but you need to be able to register the secondary
AP against the primary. Some APs let you to that; some don't. Be aware
that this halves the wireless throughput, as the secondary has to repeat
all the master's traffic.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_bridge.htm
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...4/linksys.html

Chris
Old September 7th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article ,
[L.] wrote:
I'm trying to rig up a temporary arrangement to connect an older PC to
the LAN.

Unfortunately, because of its location, I cannot just run a length of
CAT5 cable to the router.

I have, however, an extra wireless router.

I was wondering if -- just as it is possible to daisy chain a second
router through Ethernet (with all the caveats that this entails, of
which I am aware)

You mention caveats, above, when daisy chaining routers, could you explain,
for us lesser mortals, what these are and also say if there are any
potential problems linking ethernet switches or hubs?

Peter

--
Peter Gillett :
Totnes : South Devon
Old September 7th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:46:30 +0100, Chris Davies
wrote:

[L.] wrote:
I was wondering if [...]
it were possible to daisy chain a second router
to the main LAN router _wirelessly_ and connect the older PC to the
second router via Ethernet.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Yes, you can do this, but you need to be able to register the secondary
AP against the primary. Some APs let you to that; some don't. Be aware
that this halves the wireless throughput, as the secondary has to repeat
all the master's traffic.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_bridge.htm
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...4/linksys.html

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It does not seem it can do it. The primary router is a Draytek 2800
and the secondary is a Thompson SpeedTouch 570.

I suppose I'll pick up a wireless USB adaptor

Lorenz

[L.]
Old September 7th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Peter Gillett
wrote:

In article ,
[L.] wrote:

I was wondering if -- just as it is possible to daisy chain a second
router through Ethernet (with all the caveats that this entails, of
which I am aware)

You mention caveats, above, when daisy chaining routers, could you explain,
for us lesser mortals, what these are and also say if there are any
potential problems linking ethernet switches or hubs?

Peter

I'm a lesser mortal too :-) probably lesserer even.

What I was referring to was the fact that a second router daisychained
to the first (in my specific case) had to be used as a switch, rather
than a router, and therefore the DHCP server had to be disabled.
So I'd connect the second (downstream) router to one of the LAN ports.
It might have been necessary to assign the downstream router a fixed
IP, but last time I connected the two routers like that, I did not do
it.

The two routers I was intending to use are both ADSL router/modems and
neither has a WAN port.

Had the downstream one had a WAN port, I could have connected that to
the LAN port of the first router, and I should have obtained two
independently NAT'ed and segregated LANs.

As I never did that, I don't know if that is really so.

So, these are the caveats I know about daisy chaining two routers.

L.

[L.]
Old September 8th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Peter Gillett" wrote in message
You mention caveats, above, when daisy chaining routers, could you
explain, for us lesser mortals, what these are and also say if there are
any potential problems linking ethernet switches or hubs?

There are two ways to connect routers together via an Ethernet cable: LAN
port to LAN port, and LAN port to WAN port. The two methods create different
issues.

Say router 1 is connected to the Internet, and you connect one of its LAN
ports to a LAN port of router 2. With this configuration, DHCP requests from
a computer (or whatever) attached to either router will be seen by both
routers. Usually, you want router 1 to provide DHCP service, so you must
disable the DHCP server on router 2. Also, if you want to be able to access
router 2's configuration with minimal fuss, you need to configure router 2's
LAN interface to have the same subnet mask as that on router 1, and a
different address in the same range. Preferably, but in practice it is not
vital, that address should be outside the DHCP range configured on router 2.

If you connect a LAN port of router 1 to router 2's WAN port, you need to
make sure the two routers' LAN interfaces are configured with
non-overlapping address ranges (eg router 1: 10.0.0.1/24, router 2:
10.0.1.1/24). You also have two LANs with a NAT between them which means
computers attached to router 1 cannot normally initiate connections to
computers behind router 2, and while you can initiate connections the other
way around, the maximum speed is likely to be less than 100Mbit due to the
processing to implement NAT (typically software running on a relatively slow
microprocessor).

None of the issues above apply to daisy-chaining hubs or switches. However,
daisy-chaining hubs together introduces additional delay, and too much delay
breaks Ethernet's collision detection mechanism, so there is a limit to how
many hubs you can daisy-chain together (I can't remember the details
offhand - I am pretty sure it depends on the network speed). Switches are
not affected by this because each port is a separate collision domain.

Alex

Old September 8th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article ,
[L.] wrote:
On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Peter Gillett
wrote:

In article ,
[L.] wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I had wondered if there were any problems in using daisy chained
switches as I am going to be doing that, but it seems that all the problems
will only occur when using 2 routers.

Peter

--
Peter Gillett :
Totnes : South Devon
Old September 11th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
moffs

[L.] wrote:

I'm trying to rig up a temporary arrangement to connect an older PC to
the LAN.

Unfortunately, because of its location, I cannot just run a length of
CAT5 cable to the router.

I have, however, an extra wireless router.

I was wondering if -- just as it is possible to daisy chain a second
router through Ethernet (with all the caveats that this entails, of
which I am aware) -- it were possible to daisy chain a second router
to the main LAN router _wirelessly_ and connect the older PC to the
second router via Ethernet.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

I did look around on the 'net but I could not find anything about it.

TIA for your comments and ideas

Lorenz

PS Yes, I know I could buy a USB wireless adaptor

[L.]

did you know that with a cat 5 cable you can route your Lan router if
it is under a length of 150m as anything above this the signal
degredation collapses.
this might help conect you then again not all Lan routers can connect
through daisy chaining due to interal switching made on pcb on initial
make up of switch
moffs

Old September 11th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
devs

In message . com, moffs
writes
did you know that with a cat 5 cable you can route your Lan router if
it is under a length of 150m as anything above this the signal
degredation collapses.
this might help conect you then again not all Lan routers can connect
through daisy chaining due to interal switching made on pcb on initial
make up of switch

Is your lecturer called Merlin? He'll need some kind of groovy magic to
get you through the course.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"