how long to get sky broadband?

Old September 6th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default how long to get sky broadband?

I registered a week ago for sky broadband. I'm not currently a sky
customer. My exchange appears to be enabled for the broadband deal, as
the registration confirmed. I havent heard anything other than an email
confirming my registration, and:

"We are currently rolling out our broadband network across the UK as
fast as we can, so we'll be in touch shortly to let you know when you
can order Sky Broadband."

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're this
slow with potential customers...

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old September 6th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
wrote:
I registered a week ago for sky broadband. I'm not currently a sky
customer. My exchange appears to be enabled for the broadband deal, as
the registration confirmed. I havent heard anything other than an email
confirming my registration, and:

"We are currently rolling out our broadband network across the UK as
fast as we can, so we'll be in touch shortly to let you know when you
can order Sky Broadband."

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're this
slow with potential customers...

An excellent way to manage demand though, it allows them to expand at their
rate, and not end up in the same situation as talktalk, where they sign up
three times the population of India, and not have the infrastructure to
manage the customer support and actioning.

My Sky Broadband was activated yesterday, to say I am impressed is an
understatement. Two years BT told me I would not get broadband on my line,
and that the only way i could get broadband was on a second line (installed
on the proviso that broadband could be provided on the line).

That line runs at 1mb, and is on eclipse variable speed /dsl max line now,
syncing at about 1.5mb, but giving about 150k (thats 150, not 1500)
throughput.

On my old line i ordered Sky Broadband, it syncs at 2mb solidly, giving me
speeds of about 1800, without any disconnects.

Well done Sky, no port throttling either...

Gaz

Old September 6th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:
I registered a week ago for sky broadband. I'm not currently a sky
customer. My exchange appears to be enabled for the broadband deal, as
the registration confirmed. I havent heard anything other than an email
confirming my registration, and:

"We are currently rolling out our broadband network across the UK as
fast as we can, so we'll be in touch shortly to let you know when you
can order Sky Broadband."

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're this
slow with potential customers...

An excellent way to manage demand though, it allows them to expand at their
rate, and not end up in the same situation as talktalk, where they sign up
three times the population of India, and not have the infrastructure to
manage the customer support and actioning.

Fair enough, but if it goes on like this for several weeks, I can't say
I'd be too impressed. Fortunately, I can pick up open signals in my
study, so for the moment, I'm not in a big rush, but I'll be less
patient if I hear nothing in a couple of weeks, and just ditch the idea.

Old September 6th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate wrote:
:
: An excellent way to manage demand though, it allows them to expand at their
: rate, and not end up in the same situation as talktalk, where they sign up
: three times the population of India, and not have the infrastructure to
: manage the customer support and actioning.

: Fair enough, but if it goes on like this for several weeks, I can't say
: I'd be too impressed. Fortunately, I can pick up open signals in my
: study, so for the moment, I'm not in a big rush, but I'll be less
: patient if I hear nothing in a couple of weeks, and just ditch the idea.

They *DO* seem to be managing demand - their email to me said that, while
my exchange would not be ready for the LLU-based products until early next
year, they would let me know shortly about the availability of "Sky Connect".

As "Sky Connect" is just based on standard BT "ADSL-max" I was suprised that
there was any delay at all on it!
Old September 6th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate" wrote in message
news:1hl8ta1.qgi30xby0ebuN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
I registered a week ago for sky broadband. I'm not currently a sky
customer. My exchange appears to be enabled for the broadband deal, as
the registration confirmed. I havent heard anything other than an email
confirming my registration, and:

"We are currently rolling out our broadband network across the UK as
fast as we can, so we'll be in touch shortly to let you know when you
can order Sky Broadband."

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're this
slow with potential customers...

I registered in early July and haven't heard much since and I have been a
Sky TV subscriber since 1996. Having said that I want to make sure it works
ok before I switch from Metronet.

Old September 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

deansgate" wrote in message
news:1hl8ta1.qgi30xby0ebuN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
I registered a week ago for sky broadband. I'm not currently a sky
customer. My exchange appears to be enabled for the broadband deal, as
the registration confirmed. I havent heard anything other than an email
confirming my registration, and:

"We are currently rolling out our broadband network across the UK as
fast as we can, so we'll be in touch shortly to let you know when you
can order Sky Broadband."

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're this
slow with potential customers...

I registered in early July and haven't heard much since and I have been a
Sky TV subscriber since 1996. Having said that I want to make sure it works
ok before I switch from Metronet.

That doesn't sound promising! Thanks.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://www.davidhorne.net/pictures.html http://soundjunction.org
Old September 7th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

deansgate wrote:

How long might this take? I'm not particularly impressed if they're
this slow with potential customers...

My father registered with Sky on 12/8 for the Base product. He received the
signup email three weeks later.

My father-in-law registered on 13/8, also for Base, and hasn't heard
anything more as yet.