where am i going wrong ?

Old September 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default where am i going wrong ?

im going mad im sure of it

ive a netgear gs105 gigabit switch
and a netgear FR114P router,

ive a NAS box which is connected at 1000Mbps (i can tell by the light on the
switch)
but my PC wont connect at 1000Mbps at all, its definately a gigabit nic.
Im running xp64 with a asus M2NPC-VM mobo.
when i force it to 1000 autoneg the cable disconnects itself and will only
run at 100 :/
i tried a Netgear GA311 nic to see if it would make any difference but alas
no

any ideas ? (before i go a little bit mad)

Old September 8th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

luna_s wrote:
im going mad im sure of it

ive a netgear gs105 gigabit switch
and a netgear FR114P router,

ive a NAS box which is connected at 1000Mbps (i can tell by the light on the
switch)
but my PC wont connect at 1000Mbps at all, its definately a gigabit nic.
Im running xp64 with a asus M2NPC-VM mobo.
when i force it to 1000 autoneg the cable disconnects itself and will only
run at 100 :/
i tried a Netgear GA311 nic to see if it would make any difference but alas
no

any ideas ? (before i go a little bit mad)

Are you definitely using cat 5e or higher cable?

Andy

Old September 8th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"luna_s" wrote in message
ive a netgear gs105 gigabit switch
and a netgear FR114P router,

ive a NAS box which is connected at 1000Mbps (i can tell by the light on
the switch) but my PC wont connect at 1000Mbps at all, its definately a
gigabit nic.

I assume you are connecting the PC to the switch and not the router. What
happens if you use the cable that connects the NAS box to the switch?

Alex

Old September 8th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Alex Fraser" wrote in message
"luna_s" wrote in message
ive a netgear gs105 gigabit switch
and a netgear FR114P router,

ive a NAS box which is connected at 1000Mbps (i can tell by the light on
the switch) but my PC wont connect at 1000Mbps at all, its definately a
gigabit nic.

I assume you are connecting the PC to the switch and not the router. What
happens if you use the cable that connects the NAS box to the switch?

Alex

ill double check the cable but im pretty sure its cat5e, i tried the nic in
a win32 box and that negged to 1000mbit straightaway

Old September 8th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In message , luna_s
writes
im going mad im sure of it

ive a netgear gs105 gigabit switch
and a netgear FR114P router,

ive a NAS box which is connected at 1000Mbps (i can tell by the light on the
switch)
but my PC wont connect at 1000Mbps at all, its definately a gigabit nic.
Im running xp64 with a asus M2NPC-VM mobo.
when i force it to 1000 autoneg the cable disconnects itself and will only
run at 100 :/

If the NAS box and PC are both close to the switch, try swapping the NAS
patch cable into the PC and the PC patch cable into the NAS box, check
the lights on the switch and if the fault remains, you've isolated the
switch and cabling but need to spend some time looking at the
drivers/servicepacks/hotfixes on the PC.

--
Clint Sharp
Old September 9th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

--
Clint Sharp

cheers

i have to admit the mad part, i think i need a holiday!
it was the cable after all..........
I didnt even know i had a cat5 cable!

mark