Vonage / Draytel

Old September 7th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Vonage / Draytel

I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?

I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

Thanks.
--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

Old September 7th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?

I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?

Eg.
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Gra...+Budgetone+101

for a cheap & cheerfull entry level IP phone...

Gordon
Old September 7th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found
another
company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front
fees.
Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?

I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to
use
one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?

Eg.
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Gra...+Budgetone+101

For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT phone
:-/

Old September 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Carl Waring wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?

Eg. http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Gra...+Budgetone+101

For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT
phone
:-/

If it satisfies your requirements [which it appears to], then go for it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:58:44 up 12 days, 2:03, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.12, 0.09

Old September 7th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found
another
company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front
fees.
Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?

I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to
use
one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?

Eg.
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Gra...+Budgetone+101

For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT phone
:-/

I presume you mean by buying an ATA to connect your existing DECT phone
into. But if you use your PC, you really ought to get a good headset
and thats going to costs you half as much as an ATA or a cheap IP phone,
so ...

Or by suggestion Draytel, do you mean that you have a Vigor router with a
phone socket on the back on it that you can plug your DECT phone into?

Give us more details, tell us what you really want and what you already
have, and maybe we can suggest something...

Gordon
Old September 7th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
[...]

As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!

With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone either
by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA that will
plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.

My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and sell
my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.

Any clearer?

Old September 7th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Carl Waring:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Carl Waring wrote:
[...]

I use a Linksys PAP2 connected to my router, to the PAP2 I have
connected up my usual DECT cordless and corded phones, on this I use
VoIPStunt and Sipgate.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old September 7th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Carl Waring wrote on 07/09/2006 :

As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!

With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone
either by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA that
will plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.

My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and sell
my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.

Any clearer?

I think an unlocked ATA is your best bet - have a look at a
Sipura/Linksys SPA1001 for a start.

Old September 7th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

[Do you have the right to use the redyonder domain? If not, why arrange
to have mail directed there?]

On 2006-09-07, Carl Waring wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Give us more details, tell us what you really want and what you
already have, and maybe we can suggest something...

Gordon

As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!

An admirable sentiment. Many would concur.

With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone
either by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA
that will plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.

I imagine you are aware the ATAs are locked to either Vonage or Draytel.
If that doesn't matter to you the Draytel one looks good value. The
service offering is not at all bad either and PAYG may suit your calling
habits better than Vonage's monthly payments. Both websites have
sufficient information for you to make a detailed comparison but you may
want to keep in mind that Vonage's network is closed whereas Draytel's
isn't.

My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and
sell my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.

That is one way to go. Or you could purchase an ATA for about 40 GBP to
use with your present router. Either way you would not be tied to a
single provider.

Brian.

Old September 8th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Carl Waring wrote:
I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?

I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

I have been using Draytel for quite a few months now, very happy had no
outages with service etc. Free PSTN number from any area once you put
20 credit on.

I use the FXS port on a Vigor Router connected to a spare trunk port on
a PBX - works great, the VigorTalk ATA is very good value but does need
the odd reboot, service would be more reliable with a decent VoIP
enabled router, ATA such as SPA-3000 or decent IP Phone.

regards
Simon