Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

Old September 7th 06, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Vonage, Takes Ages Before My Phone Rings

When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using the
Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up using
another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to ring as
soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the LED's starts
flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone connected to the
Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried putting in an ADSL
filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this makes no difference. The
phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not sure which model. Any ideas
what this could be?
Thanks in advance

Old September 8th 06, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Phil" wrote in message
When someone rings my new Vonage set up they get about 4 rings before my
phone starts ringing. I have just transferred from Freetalk and am using
the Motorola VT2442-VU. I have done a few test rings to my Vonage set up
using another line and I can see that the router is telling my phone to
ring as soon as I hear the ringing tone on the other line as one of the
LED's starts flashing but it just takes 4 or so rings for my phone
connected to the Vonage set up to actually start ringing. I have tried
putting in an ADSL filter in between the VT2442 and my phone but this
makes no difference. The phone I'm using is a Panasonic Dect phone not
sure which model. Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks in advance

Hi Phil
How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk? I am with Freetalk
presently but not keen to switch over to Vonage as we had alot of call
quality issues with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
Thanks
Fred.

Old September 8th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Fred wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND Vonage, (as I am
mid-way through transfering from FT to Vo), and the quality on Vonage is
very good. Very clear, no crackling, delays etc.

I'm impressed.

Old September 8th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
. uk
Fred wrote:

[snip]

Hi Phil
How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk?
I am with Freetalk presently but not keen to switch
over to Vonage as we had alot of call quality issues
with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
Thanks Fred.

Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
no crackling, delays etc.

So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
that. Too bad.

Ivor

Old September 8th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
. uk
Fred wrote:

[snip]

Hi Phil
How do you find the call quality compared to Freetalk?
I am with Freetalk presently but not keen to switch
over to Vonage as we had alot of call quality issues
with their service whereas Freetalk worked perfectly.
Thanks Fred.

Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT to
Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very clear,
no crackling, delays etc.

So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
that. Too bad.

Ivor

Why sound so negative Ivor? No one here is mocking "free" providers. Fred
asked a simple question and I answered him, then you come along with your
"negative sounding vibes"?

Calm down dear. It's only a thread.

Old September 8th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
news
Ivor Jones wrote:
"^^artnada^^" wrote in
message
. uk
Fred wrote:

[snip]

Hi Phil
How do you find the call quality compared to
Freetalk? I am with Freetalk presently but not keen
to switch over to Vonage as we had alot of call
quality issues with their service whereas Freetalk
worked perfectly. Thanks Fred.

Fred, hope I can help. I currently have Freetalk, AND
Vonage, (as I am mid-way through transfering from FT
to Vo), and the quality on Vonage is very good. Very
clear, no crackling, delays etc.

So it should be for the price they charge. For what
it's worth, I get excellent call quality on Sipgate for
free, but I suppose I mustn't say that. Too bad.

Ivor

Why sound so negative Ivor? No one here is mocking "free"
providers.

You haven't been reading Dex's posts then, have you..!

Fred asked a simple question and I answered
him, then you come along with your "negative sounding
vibes"?

I didn't understand a word of that..!

Calm down dear. It's only a thread.

The trouble with threads is they unravel.

Ivor

Old September 8th 06, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message

[snip]

If something isn't free Ivor doesn't want to know by the
sounds of things .

Not at all. I just don't see the point of paying for something when I
*can* get it free.

Ivor

Old September 8th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message

[snip]

So sipgate have started giving free calls to the UK and
all of Irland have they Ivor In anycase I am not so
stingy that I mind paying around 26p a day for a damn
good service in every way with access to tecnical support
in real time 24/7 not by poxy email during working hours
. There arn't any pockets in shrouds Ivor in case you
didn't know .

They're not free if you've got to pay 26p a day for them, are they..?!

Look up "free" in a dictionary.

I bet I pay less per month for my phone service than you do, even allowing
for the fact that I pay for some of the calls I make. Most of my calls are
to other Sipgate users, so they *are* free.

Ivor

Old September 8th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Al submitted this idea :
On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:35:11 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

So it should be for the price they charge. For what it's worth, I get
excellent call quality on Sipgate for free, but I suppose I mustn't say
that. Too bad.

Since when have Sipgate been offering free outgoing calls?

....since forever, unless you mean to the PSTN....? Most of Ivor's calls
are to other Sipgate users. His free calls to other users are of
excellent quality. As will his calls to non-free PSTN numbers, I should
imagine (as are mine)

Old September 8th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
. uk...
Fred wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for replying. Can I ask a further question? How long have you had the
Vonage service running for and have the parties you are calling commented on
the call quality at all? The reason I ask is that when I had Vonage 9/10 I
could hear the othe rparty very clearly. It was the other party who
complained of cracks/pops/delays/echoes. If you would be interested in
making a test call with me then that would be excellent too. My real email
address is . Remove nospam obviously to email
me.
Thanks
Fred.