ISP recomendations for low cost broadband

Old September 8th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ISP recomendations for low cost broadband

Folks

A friend of mine wants to upgrade from dial-up to broadband.

She is a single parent and is not wealthy - I told here that a connection could be had for @ 15 per
month which she can just about afford. She is non-technical so she needs something that is reliable,
but where there is decent support if needed.

We had a quick look at plusnet and they seemed to offer some reasonable phone line + broadband
deals. I wasn't too happy with the 450MB cap on the cheapest offering though.

Any recommendations suitable products / best deals at the moment?

Thanks - Adam

Old September 8th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 08/09/06 09:44, Adam Lipscombe wrote :-
Folks

A friend of mine wants to upgrade from dial-up to broadband.

She is a single parent and is not wealthy - I told here that a
connection could be had for @ 15 per month which she can just about
afford. She is non-technical so she needs something that is reliable,
but where there is decent support if needed.

We had a quick look at plusnet and they seemed to offer some reasonable
phone line + broadband deals. I wasn't too happy with the 450MB cap on
the cheapest offering though.

Any recommendations suitable products / best deals at the moment?

Thanks - Adam

If you don't want AOL (which the "decent support" bit suggests), then a
few quid extra will get you a Brightview ISP:
http://www.madasafish.com/services/b...adband_max.asp

Not great, but not terrible either.

Nildram are another option - 13.99 or 15.99 -
http://broadband.nildram.net/products/bb2go/

Although they're said to be going downhill recently (I used them a
couple of years ago and they were great then, but a lot can happen in a
year...)

TBH, at 15pm, you're below the bargain basement level...

xF,

....Nick
Old September 8th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Folks

A friend of mine wants to upgrade from dial-up to broadband.

She is a single parent and is not wealthy - I told here that a connection
could be had for @ 15 per month which she can just about afford. She is
non-technical so she needs something that is reliable, but where there is
decent support if needed.

We had a quick look at plusnet and they seemed to offer some reasonable
phone line + broadband deals. I wasn't too happy with the 450MB cap on the
cheapest offering though.

Any recommendations suitable products / best deals at the moment?

Thanks - Adam

http://www.names.co.uk/home_broadband.html

For 14-95 it's 2Mb and 5GB allowance. Support is in Worcester and has been
good the one time I had to use it.
Maybe not 'the' cheapest, but I'm happy enough so far.

Graham

Old September 8th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I told here that a connection could be had for @ 15 per month which she can just about
afford. She is non-technical so she needs something that is reliable, but where there is
decent support if needed.

It's a bit of a shame this wasn't asked a week or more ago. NamesCo/NDO
had a deal providing one year's access, a single-port router, 2 GB/month,
for 60 pounds (and 4.99 extra for delivery of the router). Their lowest
cost account has just gone up from 10.95 to 11.95/month but allows
2 GB/month, a little more generous than the alternative. They now
also have a 50 pound setup fee on this account (whereas their 14.95
account, giving 5 GB/month, doesn't have that fee).

I pay Eclipse 14.99/month and have a more generous allowance, and am not
limited to 500 kbps (they provide DSL Max, 20 GB limit in their peak hours,
1800-0000 and 'fair use' from 0000-1800). They have no setup fee and
currently have a summer offer of charging 9.99/month for first 3 months.
They're offering a USB modem in return for a 12 month contract (but then
again, many ISPs will have a 12 month contract whether they provide any
hardware or not, if they don't charge an activation fee - BT charges the
ISPs 40+VAT so one can expect a big hole in 50 quid).

I cannot answer on the support side yet, for either ISP (unfortunately, in
that it is difficult to know how good they are). I needed no support from
Eclipse, my friends have not yet had chance to need support at ndo.com

I know a couple of people who have signed up (one had his hardware a week
ago, but he and his wife are away on a walking holiday until next weekend),
and the other signed up at the start of last week, but didn't tick the box
that he was willing to pay the delivery fee, so they didn't send him a
router. He spoke to NamesCo this week, and agreed to pay, so hope it
will be with him today/tomorrow. His line should have been active on Sat.
but he decided just to wait for the hardware (I offered to lend him one
of my spare routers to be able to check the line, but he was far from
concerned - perhaps his heart condition has made him feel that he's
better off just letting things happen, in their own time, and no longer
wants to 'rush' anything, these days!)

adslguide.org.uk , ispreview.co.uk and net4now.com are worth checking.

Old September 8th 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the info.

I use a BT uncapped business service so I dont have much idea how much I download.

Do you think a 2GB per month cap will be enough for web browsing, email etc.

I dont think they are going to do any P2P, or big downloads...

Thanks -Adam

Old September 8th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 08/09/06 12:19, Adam Lipscombe wrote :-
Thanks for the info.

I use a BT uncapped business service so I dont have much idea how much I
download.

Do you think a 2GB per month cap will be enough for web browsing, email
etc.

I dont think they are going to do any P2P, or big downloads...

Thanks -Adam

Completely depends on the websites you visit, but in most cases, yes

If they discover YouTube, then almost certainly not

xF,

....Nick
Old September 8th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Do you think a 2GB per month cap will be enough for web browsing, email etc.
I dont think they are going to do any P2P, or big downloads...

It's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, and might vary
over time. However there were some statistics from one ISP which I'm
quite happy to use, as many past critics were angry at their "low" limits
(while the figures from actual users show that in truth lots of "average"
households use a fraction of 5 GB a month... See usage for 12/2005
on the PlusNet "Broadband Plus" 14.99 account at the link below:

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_BBPlusDecUsage.php

At that time there were approx 45,000 BB Plus customers and of those,
about 70% used under 1.5 GB each month (yes, stop laughing, you at
the back! :-) Of course, that was before DSL Max, but for many there
is no instant requirement to switch from e-mail and a bit of browsing to
being ready to download music/videos/software 24x7 the way a small
portion of UK users do.

Old September 8th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Folks

A friend of mine wants to upgrade from dial-up to broadband.

She is a single parent and is not wealthy - I told here that a connection could be had for @ 15 per
month which she can just about afford. She is non-technical so she needs something that is reliable,
but where there is decent support if needed.

We had a quick look at plusnet and they seemed to offer some reasonable phone line + broadband
deals. I wasn't too happy with the 450MB cap on the cheapest offering though.

Don't touch them with a bargepole ! They are having *serious* issues at the moment.

Any recommendations suitable products / best deals at the moment?

Scarily enough..... Tiscali with their 1meg pacakage for 12.99 ! Sounds ideal in this case. Mt
nieghbout has it and it's actually ok.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/br...ode=ZZ-NL-11GK

Graham

Old September 8th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Nicholas Thomas wrote:

If they discover YouTube, then almost certainly not

It's a bugger isn't it ?

I wasn't using any more than 4GB pcm ever but I hate to think what it'll be like
now !

Graham

Old September 8th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Any recommendations suitable products / best deals at the moment?

NewNet up to 8 Megs at 2GB at 12:99/m a month plus 47 quid connection
though.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home.php