Vonage Motorola VT2442 loses settings when rebooted

Old September 8th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Vonage Motorola VT2442 loses settings when rebooted

I am in the process of setting up my Motorola VT2442 provided by
Vonage but have found a strange problem with it.... if I make ANY
changes to the configuration, they only seem to last as long as the
router is not rebooted.

If the router is rebooted or it loses power it seems to default back
to the factory setings. Does anyone else's do this?

Is it designed to do this? As far as i can see in the manual it should
retain the settings as long as you have saved thema nd should only
factory reset when specifically told to do so, not every time it is
rebooted. Certainly every other router that I have ever used behaves
like this anyway.

Am I missing something? Is there a save configuration option that I am
not seeing? Have Vonage crippled it so you can't change the default
settings?

If so then that is annoying as it means any port forwarding, etc is
lost whenever the power is lost or the router needs rebooted for
whatever reason. If this is the case I will have to think twice about
using it as a replacement for my Netgear.
Old September 8th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:30:55 GMT, Dave wrote:

[...]

Sorry to answer my own question and everything but I have found the
answer and thought I would share it.

This seems to be a firmware bug and the answer is he
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15118.html

The trick is to use Internet Explorer when configuring it because it
will not write the settings properly when using Firefox, which is what
I was trying.

I have tried it in Internet Explrer and can confirm that it is now
saving properly.

I'm just waiting for them to finish porting my number over now. When I
dial it I get an American lady saying the number is not in service.
Old September 8th 06, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:37:31 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:00:06 GMT, Dave wrote:

Yes, it hasn't been seemless. The Vonage service is working ok on the
temporary number they gave me but my Freetalk number has not been
transferred to it yet.

Haven't tried the temp number Dave but whatever number I dial I get
the engaged tone if I ring the old FT number I get the Vonage
voicemail and the notification of message email does show the old FT
number .

Has anyone else's number been ported yet?

Has I am getting the old FT number showing on the voicemail email I am
presuming the number as been ported but isn't working as it should at
the moment . I can't try the other FT number has I am waiting for
Citylink to deliver the other router got the Motorola changed for a
Linksys.

Looks like yours is further ahead then mine.... I was expecting to try
it at 9am this morning and everything would be done! I suppose they
must have a lot of numbers to move over

Dave, I just called Vonage on 0800 008 6000 and asked how far my number
porting was, as the FT number is now out of service, and the lady said it
will be completed by the end of today.

Looks like for this evening the FT number will be out of action whilst the
port is actually taking place.

However, I can make out going calls on my temporary Vonage number.

Old September 8th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:21:20 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

You're in exactly the same position as me then. Hopefully the number
transfer will be completed by this evening.

Just hope nobody tries to call me tonight
Old September 8th 06, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message

[snip]

Just called them and the guy told me to close down the
router for 15 seconds and reboot and all should be well
haven't tried it yet been a little busy tending to other
matters. Well they will have a lot to move over I can
think of ten around here alone it isn't everyone who will
put up with a crap service like Sipgate provide so long
has it is free .

I wondered how long it would take..! When are you going to learn to spell,
Ron..?

Ivor

Old September 8th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote in message

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:57:16 GMT, Dave
wrote:

I'm just waiting for them to finish porting my number
over now. When I dial it I get an American lady saying
the number is not in service.

Same here thanks for posting this info saved me bothering
Vonage, but wasn't the changeover supposed to be
"SEEMLESS".

Or even seamless. Spelling isn't your strong point, is it, Ron..?!

Ivor