Anyone know of any free FTP hosting services?

Old September 8th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Anyone know of any free FTP hosting services?

Thought I would try re-sending the post with a different subject as the
previous one (Free FTP Hosting) could have been mistaken as spam.

Can anyone tell me of any free ftp hosting services that allow file
sizes up to 1mb (compressed) and (optionally) allow .zip, .exe and .dll
files to be uploaded.
I have tried a few services already but the maximum file size was 500kb
and .zip & .exe files weren't allowed.

I don't need any web services, just ftp.

Regards,
Tony
Old September 8th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tony Foreman" wrote in message
Thought I would try re-sending the post with a different subject as the
previous one (Free FTP Hosting) could have been mistaken as spam.

Can anyone tell me of any free ftp hosting services that allow file sizes
up to 1mb (compressed) and (optionally) allow .zip, .exe and .dll files to
be uploaded.
I have tried a few services already but the maximum file size was 500kb
and .zip & .exe files weren't allowed.

I don't need any web services, just ftp.

I have a private FTP server running, on cable broadband,that is currently
idle, was thinking of shutting it down. Since it's running on a pc that also
runs my mailserver, it could easily be left running, if it's of any use to
you, subject to all the usual caveats, no porn etc, you know the thing ;-)

P.

Old September 11th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tony Foreman wrote:
Thought I would try re-sending the post with a different subject as the
previous one (Free FTP Hosting) could have been mistaken as spam.

Can anyone tell me of any free ftp hosting services that allow file
sizes up to 1mb (compressed) and (optionally) allow .zip, .exe and .dll
files to be uploaded.
I have tried a few services already but the maximum file size was 500kb
and .zip & .exe files weren't allowed.

I don't need any web services, just ftp.

Regards,
Tony

Tony,

Did you already check from http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/ by
typing free ftp hosting onto search field? Hope this will help
you...pappa

Old September 11th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Foreman

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

It's not FTP but it is free and does allow unlimited sharing of files of
unlimited size; two out of three ain't so bad:

http://www.sendthisfile.com/

Tony

Thanks but this is not really what I was looking for.
I need ftp because I have a program that updates itself by connecting to
a ftp site and downloading any updated files.

Regards,
Tony

Old September 11th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Foreman

Flyer wrote:

I have a private FTP server running, on cable broadband,that is currently
idle, was thinking of shutting it down. Since it's running on a pc that also
runs my mailserver, it could easily be left running, if it's of any use to
you, subject to all the usual caveats, no porn etc, you know the thing ;-)

P.

Well it's definitely not porn. It's actually for a program that updates
itself by connecting to a ftp site and downloading any updated files.
Thanks for your offer but I'm not quite ready to set everything in
motion yet - would you please send me an email (to the above less
NOSPAM) with your email address so I can contact you when I'm ready to
start - assuming you still have the ftp server running of course.

Once again thanks for the offer
Regards,
Tony
Old September 11th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Foreman

wrote:
Did you already check from
http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/ by
typing free ftp hosting onto search field? Hope this will help
you...pappa

Haven't tried that one but have tried umpteen others that give you a
list of free sites until you get to the actual site and find that it
isn't really free!
Anyway, thanks - I'll have a look to see if any will meet my requirements.

Regards,
Tony
Old September 12th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

Tony Foreman wrote:

Can anyone tell me of any free ftp hosting services that allow file
sizes up to 1mb (compressed) and (optionally) allow .zip, .exe and .dll
files to be uploaded.

I don't need any web services, just ftp.

Try http://tinyurl.com/g5sbb signup is free.

I've just uploaded a 17 MB .zip as a test to be sure. I used one of my
ordinary FTP clients (they do provide automated backup, either on a
schedule, or "on the fly" - to keep up with changes to content of one
of your directories and keep the remote copy up-to-date) but that's
not essential (it is some Win XP software, but I have used FTP from
other PCs and my iMac too). Also, while you don't currently need it,
they do allow "web publishing" so files can be downloaded (depends
on the status of your account, however, but you don't need it right
now anyway... They are, of course, concerned about anyone who
breaks copyright restrictions, and their T+C reflect that). HTH.

[ I didn't upload any .dll or .exe files, but see no reason why they
would not be allowed, given one can 'backup' a folder of binaries.

Further note - in case you do want to host files there, choose your
username so it has no "." within it. They allow access to one folder
using formats of www.servicename/web/{username} and
{username}.servicename - but 'servicename' is their name! ]
Old September 12th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Foreman

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Can you give some idea of the quantity of storage you will need. I run
many FTP servers and may be able to give you an account on one so long as
your maximum storage needs are modest (100MB). My email address works.

Thanks for your offer but as said in reply to another poster, I'm not
quite ready to set everything in motion yet - if its okay I'll contact
you later.
Storage would be about 75MB max.

Thanks & regards,
Tony
Old September 12th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Foreman

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

Try http://tinyurl.com/g5sbb signup is free.

I've just uploaded a 17 MB .zip as a test to be sure. I used one of my
ordinary FTP clients (they do provide automated backup, either on a

Not sure why you call the hosting provider as 'servicename' rather than
the actual, but I'll use the same.
I've just signed up and tried to use my current ftp clients (EmFTP and
FileZilla) but I can't seem to get a connection using ftp.servicename
(and {username}.servicename), my username (without any ".") and password
I set at signup - there own software FileManager 3.0 works though. Which
ftp client did you use?

[ I didn't upload any .dll or .exe files, but see no reason why they
would not be allowed, given one can 'backup' a folder of binaries.

Tried uploading .dll and .exe using their software without a problem.

Thanks and regards,
Tony
Old September 12th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 12 Sep 2006 Tony Foreman wrote:

I've just signed up and tried to use my current ftp clients (EmFTP and
FileZilla) but I can't seem to get a connection using ftp.servicename

I used WS-FTP (in passive mode) (sorry, forgot to mention that - it was
certainly not something noted on their site as a requirement, and when I
used the (unix) command line FTP on my iMac, I didn't specify anything
special, so cannot be sure if it is important or not).

(and {username}.servicename), ...

That's (AFAIK) *only* used for web browser access to the folder they create
on the server (for web pages to be stored, if one wants, something you
had not planned to do, from your original post).

Hope you get it going OK!