Sky Netgear Router

Old September 9th 06, 09:53 AM
allisont allisont is offline
Junior Member

Default Sky Netgear Router

Hi

I have a Sky Netgear router DG834gt which keeps disconnecting and I have to re-boot the router everytime I turn the machine on... it then works perfectly until I switch off.

The firmware is version V1.02.28 ~ is there an upgrade... I have tried the 3 upgrades shown on the Netgear support page but when I try to instal them they say its not valid.

(I previously had a netgear router and used to have this problem until I upgraded the firmware)

Allison
Old September 10th 06, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

--
allisont

The most important thing to do is check if it is v1,2 or 3. It should say
either underneath or within the set up page. Once you download the correct
file it will update - just don't do it via the wireless connection. Do it
via the supplied lead or it buggers it up. I have the same router and it is
a V3 on the latest firmware. I find running Bit Torrent tend to crash it
quite often.

Old September 10th 06, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ian wrote:

The most important thing to do is check if it is v1,2 or 3. It
should say either underneath or within the set up page. Once you
download the correct file it will update - just don't do it via the
wireless connection. Do it via the supplied lead or it buggers it
up. I have the same router and it is a V3 on the latest firmware.
find running Bit Torrent tend to crash it quite often.

Which is a good reason to trade up & get something like a Draytek
2600, steady as a rock & that's after finding that the Netgear 834g,
the 3Com Office connect, the D-Link 604T & a Linksys which I got rid
of the same day so I can't tell you the model, all fell over in their
own way whilst running continual P2P sessions. Hell I even procured a
Cisco router to give that a go as well, I got that fed up with the
problem.

Go for the Draytek, it's cheaper than the Cisco, would be my advice

Old September 10th 06, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kráftéé wrote:
ian wrote:

[...]

OOppss looking at the header of the thread I appologise as you can't
go to Dratek as you are stuck with the Netgear/SKY box. On that note
I have heard that they won't accept the normal firmware upgrades so
the OP may be stuck with it.

Another reason to hang back & see how this saga turns out..

Old September 10th 06, 08:15 AM
allisont allisont is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
"allisont" wrote in message

[...]

I have checked the bottom of router and can't find the version.
Is the set-up page the Netgear webpage - 192.168.0.1. ~ where the router set up shows V1.02.28?? or is there another set up page.
As I only got the router last Thursday perhaps mine is also V3.
I have looked on the Netgear support page and can only find 3 firmware upgrades for v1.02.04, v1.01.28 and v1.01.00 -none of which would install.
Yes I was trying with the wired supplied.
Could you tell me how you upgraded your V3 please.

Many thanks
Allison
Old September 10th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ian wrote:
"allisont" wrote in message

[...]

The Sky router has a modified firmware just for sky, and cannot be updated
using standard netgear firmware. AFAIK.

Gaz

Old September 10th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kráftéé wrote:
ian wrote:

[...]

Wont be much good for sky broadband, because as of yet, no one has being
able to use a non sky router.

Gaz

Old September 10th 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kráftéé wrote:
kráftéé wrote:
ian wrote:

[...]

The netgear router is a cut above the standard router though. Maybe not up
to standard of Draytek, but better then the rest.

Gaz

Old September 10th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"ian" wrote in message ...

The most important thing to do is check if it is v1,2 or 3. It should say
either underneath or within the set up page. Once you download the
correct file it will update - just don't do it via the wireless
connection. Do it via the supplied lead or it buggers it up. I have the
same router and it is a V3 on the latest firmware. I find running Bit
Torrent tend to crash it quite often.

Have you tried reducing the number of connections allowed?