WTD faceplate for combined ethernet and phone

Old September 9th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

Default WTD faceplate for combined ethernet and phone

I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

Thanks for your help.

Old September 9th 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

"Aosmosis" wrote in message
oups.com...
|I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
| Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
| a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
| option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.
|
| Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
| LAN connected to it?
|
| I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
| line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.
|
| Thanks for your help.

AFAIK you would just get a blank double face plate, and then populate it with
RJ45 Module and a Phone Module. However, I am not sure that you could use phone
and network at the same time unless you are setting the network to half duplex
and know which wires may end up being spare.

If you are using it just for phone for now, you can get adaptors to convert
RJ45's not BT PSTN from places like RS, Farnell and Maplin.

Old September 9th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

Aosmosis wrote:
I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

1) Look at the modular sockets - where you can mix and match different
sockets within the same wallplate. Try Blackbox - but you will find it
cheaper elsewhere.

2) Alternatively, you can get splitters that you plug in to a LAN socket
at each end that turn a single CAT5 into two independent channels. Takes
two pairs to each channel - will support 10/100 but not 1000. Any good
network component supplier will stock them.

3) Alternatively, you can split the four pairs to two groups of two and
wire each pair of pairs to a different LAN socket at each end. The
wiring you need is well documented.

For (2) and (3), then use a suitable (PABX, master or slave) dongle to
give the phone socket.. any network bits supplier will stock them.

The above is very short on detail - if you want more, just ask.

--
Sue

Old September 9th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

Aosmosis wrote:
I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

Thanks for your help.

just a thought why not use a wireless phone and you have the capability
to run 1G network or 2 100MB networks most phones will work up to 50M
inside 300M outside
Old September 9th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

funfly3 wrote:
Aosmosis wrote:
I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

Thanks for your help.

just a thought why not use a wireless phone and you have the capability
to run 1G network or 2 100MB networks most phones will work up to 50M
inside 300M outside

The line is connected to $ky tv under their silly terms of conditions

Old September 9th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

Aosmosis wrote:
funfly3 wrote:
Aosmosis wrote:
I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

Thanks for your help.

just a thought why not use a wireless phone and you have the capability
to run 1G network or 2 100MB networks most phones will work up to 50M
inside 300M outside

The line is connected to $ky tv under their silly terms of conditions

Doh still you can run as the other replies have suggested 100mb lan and
phone down 1 cable I have not seen a dual face plate but you can get
RJ45 to PSTN converters
like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINE-ADAPTOR-UNITS-PABX-MASTER-RJ45-TO-TELEPHONE_W0QQitemZ270023959674QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 34165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 9th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

oups.com...

Try these: http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

Old September 9th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

Jeremy Goff wrote:
"Aosmosis" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a single CAT5 cable running 30m to another room.
Primarly this will be used for the phone, but I may want to use it for
a LAN at a later stage. Running another cable or wireless isnt an
option, and as long as I do get 10Mbps that will be fine.

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

I am assuming that I can use the brown/ brown+white pair to carry the
line pair for the phone as AFAIK these are unused.

Thanks for your help.

Try these: http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

all of those are ADSL splitters I don't think any are what the OP needs
Old September 9th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:19:31 UTC, "Aosmosis" wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a faceplate that has both phone and
LAN connected to it?

Plenty of modular solutions, but here's the actual item...non modular...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=CS02025
--
Bob Eager

Old September 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer

In message , Pier Danone
writes
AFAIK you would just get a blank double face plate, and then populate it with
RJ45 Module and a Phone Module. However, I am not sure that you could use phone
and network at the same time unless you are setting the network to half duplex
and know which wires may end up being spare.

LAN uses orange and green pairs. Connect the blues to the phone module
and all will work perfectly.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"