mtu size what should i put in

Old September 10th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default mtu size what should i put in

hi there to you all i have just purchased a netgear wgt624 v2 from pc world
this morning now i like my stuff set up perfect what whould i put in for mtu
size the box in blank but i have to put somthin in it hope to hear from you
soon

Paul

Old September 10th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Paul wrote in message
:

hi there to you all i have just purchased a netgear wgt624 v2 from pc
world this morning now i like my stuff set up perfect what whould i
put in for mtu size the box in blank but i have to put somthin in it
hope to hear from you soon

The normal values that I've seen quoted a

1400
1458
1500

My Netgear DG834GT is using the default value of 1458. I'd suggest that you
set yours to this value - unless you're connecting to AOL in which case you
need to lower it to 1400.

Old September 10th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Paul" wrote in message
. uk...
hi there to you all i have just purchased a netgear wgt624 v2 from pc
world
this morning now i like my stuff set up perfect what whould i put in for
mtu
size the box in blank but i have to put somthin in it hope to hear from
you
soon

well, it's dependant on many factors, but 1458 is a figure that springs to
mind ;-)

P.

Old September 10th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

unless you're connecting to AOL in which case you
need to lower it to 1400.

No need to any more.

Dave

Old September 10th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort wrote:
unless you're connecting to AOL in which case you
need to lower it to 1400.

No need to any more.

is it 1450 now, or the correct default of 1500 ?

Phil

Old September 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort wrote:
unless you're connecting to AOL in which case you
need to lower it to 1400.

No need to any more.
Dave

According to http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqHomeNetworking.adp,
this is still a requirement. Or are they just lazy updating their web help?
Old September 10th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:56:46 +0100, Simon Dobson wrote:

gort wrote:
unless you're connecting to AOL in which case you
need to lower it to 1400.

No need to any more.
Dave

According to http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqHomeNetworking.adp,
this is still a requirement. Or are they just lazy updating their web help?

Well a few weeks a go I put a customer on AOL with a router and left it on
the default I believe 1450 and went ok. No probs conecting and she is
still using it at the default. Should have paid a bit more attention I
know, but it was the end of a very,long, hot day and I was just pleased it
went ok as it was AOL.

Dave

Old September 10th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort wrote:

Well a few weeks a go I put a customer on AOL with a router and left it on
the default I believe 1450 and went ok. No probs conecting and she is
still using it at the default. Should have paid a bit more attention I
know, but it was the end of a very,long, hot day and I was just pleased it
went ok as it was AOL.

Could be that it works, but not 100% The second last time someone asked
me about a problem with their AOL connection, everything was fine bar
web pages with SSL ("Page Not Displayed" etc.) Setting the MTU to 1400
corrected this.

The last time I set up an AOL router I put the MTU to 1400 just in case.
Old September 10th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 10/09/06 14:23, Flyer wrote :-
"Paul" wrote in message
. uk...
hi there to you all i have just purchased a netgear wgt624 v2 from pc
world
this morning now i like my stuff set up perfect what whould i put in for
mtu
size the box in blank but i have to put somthin in it hope to hear from
you
soon

well, it's dependant on many factors, but 1458 is a figure that springs to
mind ;-)

P.

Mine is set to 1484, although I forget exactly why. I doubt there's much
difference either way, TBH...

xF,

....Nick