Sky Broadband and DUN

Old September 10th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Sky Broadband and DUN

Although Sky say that you have to use their wirelles router, we all know
that is not essential.
Does anyone know if I can use dial up networking on a windows 98 machine to
connect to sky broadband. If so any help as to what the connection setting
should be would be appreciated

Thanks

Old September 10th 06, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dave J wrote:
Although Sky say that you have to use their wirelles router, we all
know that is not essential.
Does anyone know if I can use dial up networking on a windows 98
machine to connect to sky broadband. If so any help as to what the
connection setting should be would be appreciated

Actually every indication so far is that you do have to use their
supplied router so I'm afraid you USB modem won't be any good. The
Sky router is free anyway so you may as well use it......

Old September 10th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Although Sky say that you have to use their wirelles router, we all
know that is not essential.
Does anyone know if I can use dial up networking on a windows 98
machine to connect to sky broadband. If so any help as to what the
connection setting should be would be appreciated

Actually every indication so far is that you do have to use their
supplied router so I'm afraid you USB modem won't be any good. The
Sky router is free anyway so you may as well use it......

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on details in
some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an ISP unless they
will guarantee security from intruders.

Peter Crosland

Old September 10th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
Although Sky say that you have to use their wirelles router, we
all
know that is not essential.
Does anyone know if I can use dial up networking on a windows 98
machine to connect to sky broadband. If so any help as to what the
connection setting should be would be appreciated

Actually every indication so far is that you do have to use their
supplied router so I'm afraid you USB modem won't be any good. The
Sky router is free anyway so you may as well use it......

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on
details in some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an
ISP unless they will guarantee security from intruders.

Peter Crosland

Browse thru the numerous other threads & postings & make your own
decision, but me, I'm going to wait & then decide not to give any more
money to SKY...

Old September 10th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on details
in some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an ISP unless
they will guarantee security from intruders.

How does that make it easier for an intruder to get into your stuff?
To use the sky router they have to be on a line that has sky enabled and
have a sky router.. sounds like better security than the BT central way of
doing things to me.

Old September 10th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"[email protected]" wrote in message
.uk...

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on details
in some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an ISP unless
they will guarantee security from intruders.

How does that make it easier for an intruder to get into your stuff?
To use the sky router they have to be on a line that has sky enabled and
have a sky router.. sounds like better security than the BT central way of
doing things to me.

Making everyone use a router seems a splendid idea...no more stupid usb
modems to support...
And making everyone use the same model router will simplify the support
issues by an incredible amount!
Only problem will be if theres 'issues' with the sky router....and there
doesnt seem to be any system in place for updating the router as of yet.
The Sky's internet won't be available to me here on the Isle of Wight till
the new year...so hopefully any problems will be apparent by then

Alex

Old September 10th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on
details in some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an
ISP unless they will guarantee security from intruders.

How does that make it easier for an intruder to get into your stuff?

If I understand correctly you have to use the wireless access with all the
inherent insecurity this brings.

To use the sky router they have to be on a line that has sky enabled
and have a sky router.. sounds like better security than the BT
central way of doing things to me.

All ADSL surely have to be enabled for that purpose so what extra benefit is
their in using a line enabled for one ISP rather than another? In what way
is the BT central insecure?

Peter Crosland

Old September 10th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

If I understand correctly you have to use the wireless access with all the
inherent insecurity this brings.

I thought they were bog standard Netgear wireless routers so they should
hhave ethernet ports as well.

All ADSL surely have to be enabled for that purpose so what extra benefit is
their in using a line enabled for one ISP rather than another? In what way
is the BT central insecure?

BT routers are actually locked via a script to send the username and
password, although the Voyager 2091 at least can be unlocked so it can be
used on other ISP's, have actually unlocked 2 of those this week. So I
assume the Sky routers have been ' fiddled ' with to do the same thing.
Wait for the hacks to appear soon!!

Dave
Old September 10th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex Wilson wrote:
[...]

Interesting that the sky router comes with ping enabled by default, whereas
on the standard model it is disabled...

Is it possible to update remotely??

Gaz

Old September 10th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
Do I understand you correctly that it is impossible to use any other
modem/router? I presume this is because the hard code the sign on
details in some way. Seems a very good reason not to use them as an
ISP unless they will guarantee security from intruders.

How does that make it easier for an intruder to get into your stuff?

If I understand correctly you have to use the wireless access with all the
inherent insecurity this brings.

The router comes with wpa encryption enabled by default, it takes little
more then a minute to login and disable the wireless. The WPA key is weak,
but the security is good enough, that if anyone wanted to get on to your
system strongly enough, it would be easier to break into your house then
crack the encryption.

For once we have a mainstream (or aspiring to be) broadband provider that:
a) limits new signups to make sure that it can manage demand
b) provides what is considered the best mid range wireless adsl router for
free
c) preconfigures the router for the easiest set up imaginable.
d) Provides a service with no monthly charge!!!!!

Well done Sky......

Competence is so rarely expressed....

Gaz