Tesco USB phone

Old September 10th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Tesco USB phone

Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the
USB Phone?

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

Thanks - Steve B.

Old September 10th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Steve Barlow brought next idea :
Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the USB
Phone?

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

Thanks - Steve B.

AFAIK, their service is IAX based. Most ATAs use SIP.

The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
http://www.yealink.com/

Old September 11th 06, 05:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Steve Barlow brought next idea :
Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the
USB Phone?

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

Thanks - Steve B.

AFAIK, their service is IAX based. Most ATAs use SIP.

The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
http://www.yealink.com/

Phone works also with Skype.

Bert.

Old September 11th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul

Steve Barlow wrote:
Question #1 - Can I use an ATA with the Tesco VOIP service instead of the
USB Phone?

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

Thanks - Steve B.

The service is based on the IAX protocol instead of the much more
commonplace SIP protocol. Most ATAs support SIP only, the only one I'm
aware of that supports IAX is the Digium IAXy. I've no idea how good it
is though.

cheers,
Paul.
Old September 11th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Barlow

Steve Barlow brought next idea :

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
http://www.yealink.com/

Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL USB phones are
merely USB soundcards, and will therefore work with ANY voip service
provider, be it Skype, Sipgate etc...

Old September 11th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Steve Barlow wrote:

Steve Barlow brought next idea :

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the Tesco VOIP service or
could I use it also on say Sipgate?

The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
http://www.yealink.com/

Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL USB phones are
merely USB soundcards, and will therefore work with ANY voip service
provider, be it Skype, Sipgate etc...

In my (rather limited) experience, this would appear to be the case.

The "trick" is getting the soft-phone to recognise the keys on the USB
phone in a sensible manner. Eg. there is a "helper" application for
X-Lite undr XP to make the keys work, and under Linux, the standard
usb-hid stuff works well and it just looks like keyboard input, but
the red hangup button (on the 'tesco' phone) generates 'ESC' and the
soft-phone I use (idefisk) doesn't recognise it, so I need to use the
mouse to hangup a call...

Gordon
Old September 11th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Steve Barlow" wrote in message

Steve Barlow brought next idea :

Question #2 - Is the Tesco USB phone locked to the
Tesco VOIP service or could I use it also on say
Sipgate?

The USB phone is merely a USB soundcard, apparently from
http://www.yealink.com/

Jono - thanks for the reply, are we saying then that ALL
USB phones are merely USB soundcards, and will therefore
work with ANY voip service provider, be it Skype, Sipgate
etc...

As far as microphone and speaker/earpiece audio goes, yes. You will most
likely find that drivers are required to get keypads etc. to work with any
particular service though, and they will almost certainly be
hardware-specific to the device and service they're supplied with.

Ivor