Query re notebook adaptors

Old September 10th 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Query re notebook adaptors

Hi

I've just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...uter/dp/B000G3
JTV2/

and Amazon were doing a deal that the router can come with a free
adapter for a laptop. I might get a laptop sometime down the road, but
currently I have an extra PC I'd like to connect up. Is there such a
device as a USB to laptop port convertor so that I can use the laptop
wireless adapter on a PC?

Otherwise the cheapest PC adaptor I've seen is this one 66.
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...7~/product.htm

thanks

Craig

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Old September 10th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message
Hi

I've just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...uter/dp/B000G3
JTV2/

and Amazon were doing a deal that the router can come with a free adapter
for a laptop. I might get a laptop sometime down the road, but currently I
have an extra PC I'd like to connect up. Is there such a device as a USB
to laptop port convertor so that I can use the laptop wireless adapter on
a PC?

Otherwise the cheapest PC adaptor I've seen is this one 66.
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...7~/product.htm

thanks

Craig

All lap tops now come with built in wireless connectors So you might have
been better to get the DG 834 g with the free WG 111 USB adaptor at least
just get a USB wireless adaptor

Old September 10th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

If you mean that you have cardbus type wireless adaptor then this might
help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-PCI-...QQcmdZViewItem

Just search eBay for

"PCI PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter"

I hope this answers your problem.

Simon

Old September 10th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Craig Cockburn wrote:
Hi

I've just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...uter/dp/B000G3
JTV2/

and Amazon were doing a deal that the router can come with a free
adapter for a laptop. I might get a laptop sometime down the road, but
currently I have an extra PC I'd like to connect up. Is there such a
device as a USB to laptop port convertor so that I can use the laptop
wireless adapter on a PC?

If you are talking about a PC card (credit-card sized lump that slides
into a slot in the side of your laptop), there are unlikely to ever be
USB interfaces for such things, as PC Cards are hot-pluggable variations
on the PCI bus. (Not to be confused with PC-card USB interfaces, which
do exist, because they work the other way).
There are, however, PCI Carbus interfaces, which will make a laptop
PC-card slot available on a desktop. This is, as is the way of such
things, at the not-very-accessible rear of the PC.

Otherwise the cheapest PC adaptor I've seen is this one 66.
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...7~/product.htm

Then you're not looking in the right place.

You can get USB wireless adapters for about twenty pounds; look at, for
instance, http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?NOV-54USB

If these are the ones novatech were shipping a while back, (as their
value branded stuff changes depending on what they can get), they come
with a short stiff USB A-A extension which allows you to orient the
antenna to suit your environment, although there is no reason why you
could not stick the thing on the end of a USB extension cable
Old September 10th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Simon Smith
writes
If you mean that you have cardbus type wireless adaptor then this might
help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-PCI-...Adapter-UK-Sel
ler_W0QQitemZ230027553037QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10120 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ
1QQcmdZViewItem

Just search eBay for

"PCI PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter"

Thanks, that should do it. There's others for 8 including postage.
Old September 11th 06, 06:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:43:51 +0100, Craig Cockburn wrote:

Hi

I've just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...uter/dp/B000G3
JTV2/

Personal opinion, USB adaptors are pretty poor, performance wise. I would
always go for a pcmcia/pc card adaptor. They are designed better.

Dave
Old September 12th 06, 01:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

gort wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:43:51 +0100, Craig Cockburn wrote:

Hi

I've just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...uter/dp/B000G3
JTV2/

Personal opinion, USB adaptors are pretty poor, performance wise. I
would always go for a pcmcia/pc card adaptor. They are designed
better.

Only problem is where the ariel is situated, shielded behind a
big(ish) metal box, which in itself is also throwing various rf
signals....

If I had to chose I'm afraid I would go for USB, more flexibility, the
only thing which might convince me not is by using a wifi card with a
detachable ariel & then buying a seperate ariel which I could install
in a better location, which you can do easily enough with a USB dongle
anyway (as long as you've go USB2 you shouldn't see any difference &
it would be cheaper)...

Old September 12th 06, 06:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Personal opinion, USB adaptors are pretty poor, performance wise. I
would always go for a pcmcia/pc card adaptor. They are designed
better.

Only problem is where the ariel is situated, shielded behind a
big(ish) metal box, which in itself is also throwing various rf
signals....

If I had to chose I'm afraid I would go for USB, more flexibility, the
only thing which might convince me not is by using a wifi card with a
detachable ariel & then buying a seperate ariel which I could install
in a better location, which you can do easily enough with a USB dongle
anyway (as long as you've go USB2 you shouldn't see any difference &
it would be cheaper)...

Well we are going to differ over this, you can only go on experience.

Dave

Old September 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

gort wrote:
Personal opinion, USB adaptors are pretty poor, performance wise.
would always go for a pcmcia/pc card adaptor. They are designed
better.

Only problem is where the ariel is situated, shielded behind a
big(ish) metal box, which in itself is also throwing various rf
signals....

If I had to chose I'm afraid I would go for USB, more flexibility,
the only thing which might convince me not is by using a wifi card
with a detachable ariel & then buying a seperate ariel which I
could
install in a better location, which you can do easily enough with a
USB dongle anyway (as long as you've go USB2 you shouldn't see any
difference & it would be cheaper)...

Well we are going to differ over this, you can only go on
experience.

Dave

To true, at last someone who accept that what works for himself
doesn't neccesarily for others. Hat off to you young man...

Old September 13th 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband
gort

To true, at last someone who accept that what works for himself
doesn't neccesarily for others. Hat off to you young man...

LOL, 52 years going on 16... I wish !!!

Dave