Demon's Lack of Customer Support - Again

Old September 11th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Demon's Lack of Customer Support - Again

As part of my new Demon Domestic 800 broadband package to be connected
via a BT landline I now have a Speedtouch 330 modem. However the
config. instructions state that I have to use either PPPoE or PPPoA USB
drivers, or RFC1483 USB drivers and that this should be confirmed by
the respective ISP.

Secondly I need the technical 'service name' that I have to use with my
userid and password. (I have the userid and password OK).

Now it might be expected that since this is part of the Demon package
that Demon CS Broadband Support might be able to help me. But sadly the
Call Centre in India hasn't got a clue - and the line was so crackly
and the accent was so heavy I could hardly understand what was being
said. Also it appears that their script does not include such necessary
information.

Please can anyone advise?

Many thanks - CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

The config. also has an option for greater than 4Mbit/s or less than
4Mbit/s to be chosen. Again this is info. that ought to be available
from the ISP aka Demon, but which Demon CS do not seem to be able to
tell me about. CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

CJB wrote:
As part of my new Demon Domestic 800 broadband package to be connected
via a BT landline I now have a Speedtouch 330 modem. However the
config. instructions state that I have to use either PPPoE or PPPoA USB
drivers, or RFC1483 USB drivers and that this should be confirmed by
the respective ISP.

PPPoA is the standard in the UK on BT Wholesale systems.

Secondly I need the technical 'service name' that I have to use with my
userid and password. (I have the userid and password OK).

Fred, or "Domestic 800" (sic). Its just a reference field, isn't it ?

If you have Demon Home 8000 then I would expect to use the high speed
USB drivers in case your line goes at 7M.

Phil

Old September 11th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Apparently the 'service name' is "Demon" - doh!! Aslo I need to use
'Greater than 4Mbit/s" Hopefully I'll now get online this evening.
Thanks for your help!! CJB.

Old September 11th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
John Kirkland

On 11 Sep 2006 09:01:11 -0700, CJB wrote:

Many thanks - CJB.

tongueincheek

I'm pleased you used the "Lack of" phrase, because I get the impression
that all too often the words "Demon" and "Customer Support", when found
together, are something of an oxymoron.

/tongueincheek

:P

--
John Kirkland
Old September 12th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 11 Sep 2006 "CJB" wrote:

PhilT wrote:
If you have Demon Home 8000 then I would expect to use the high speed
USB drivers in case your line goes at 7M.

Apparently the 'service name' is "Demon" - doh!! Also I need to use
'Greater than 4Mbit/s" Hopefully I'll now get online this evening.

Is the service name actually used then? I've helped friends on a number
of different ISPs over the last few years (all using routers, must admit)
and none has ever needed the service name to be used - just user/pass.

Old September 13th 06, 01:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

I'm puzzled over the OP's complaint since there is a walkthrough showing
how to set up the modem on Demon's website. Where the answer to his
first complaint about their customer service a few weeks ago (couldn't
find out what routers they recommend) was also to be found.

--
Nightowl
Old September 13th 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:51:27, Nightowl wrote:

I'm puzzled over the OP's complaint since there is a walkthrough showing
how to set up the modem on Demon's website. Where the answer to his
first complaint about their customer service a few weeks ago (couldn't
find out what routers they recommend) was also to be found.

He's "an IT expert" - 'nuff said...

--
Jim Crowther. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,